Military History/military post - ww2

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,
You were extremely helpful to me a couple of years ago, and gave me lots of encouragement in pursuing my project of getting my father's large letter collection ready for publication.  The project has progressed, and with that of course many questions and glithes keep coming up.  If anyone can help it's you.  
I have a few questions pertaining to military mail and censoring.
1. My father, a private in the US Army, wrote a "stack of letters" in Nov-Dec, 1944 while serving in Antwerp, which were turned over to his commander by the censor, and not returned.  Would they be available in some archive?  Would there be any way to retrieve them today?
2. In Dec 44-Jan 45 during the Battle of the Bulge, no mail was moving in either direction (US-Belgium).  Do you know if this was a policy known to the servicemen, or were they left to wonder why they weren't getting any mail from home?  My father wrote that "millions of letters to and from soldiers were lost" during this period.  Do you know anything about this?
3.  What were the censor's rules re writing names and addressess of civilians overseas?
4. What was done with the original v-mail forms after they were photographed:  Were they discarded or stored somewhere, later to be shipped to the States and put in some archive?   
5. Another topic: I'd love to learn more about some of my father's commanders (one in particular!).  Is there any way?  (Got nowhere with Google.)  If so, I can send name (no serial number), company, apo, dates.  
Thanks ever so much!
Shifra

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.

1)   No & I do not know.

2)   I would think most men in the ETO, Dec 44-Jan 45 were a bit more concern with not being shot or freezing to death.

3)   A BIG no

4)   Discarded after the form was photographed

5)   Sure, refer to the unit records of the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell