Military History/WW 2 obscure history

What can you tell me about the history of Camp Kearns in Utah?  I was raised in the town of Kearns and can remember some of the buildings in Kearns were surplussed from that base, but I would like to know more.

Dear sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Located approximately six miles south southwest of downtown Salt Lake City, Kearns Army Air Base was an AAF (Army Air Force) facility providing Basic Training for ground (non-flying) personnel.  Established in 1942, the barracks were quite temporary, of lumber & tar paper!
       The Base did have a large regional AAF Hospital.  In Spring 1945 the facility became an AAF Personnel Distribution Center, to process AAF Units returning from the E.T.O. scheduled to participate in Operation OLYMPIC-CORONET, the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands, scheduled to begin November 1, 1945.
       In Fall 1945 the base was declared surplus & disposed of by the AAF.  It is a pleasure to read that someone has an interest in regional WW 2 History within the continental USA.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.