Military History/WWII planes

We recently had the honor of visiting Pearl Harbor and one question I am left with is about the bombers we were expecting from California. I have heard many times that the blip on the radar was excused as expected incoming planes from the main land, but what happened to those planes? I have never heard anything about them beyond they were expected. Thank you very much for trying to answer this for me. I do appreciate it!

A very good question.  Of the 12 B-17 flying in 1 was shut down the Japanese and 3 others had major damage.  The damaged aircraft were complete right offs.  The rest managed to land but they were unarmed so were of no use in attacking the Japanese fleet.  The B-17s were used for recon around the island in the weeks after the attack.    One crewmen of one of the B-17s a Lee Embree took photographs of the battle.  

Please check out the below websites
Thank you

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.