Military History/WWll Dan Spivey

Question
QUESTION: I am trying to reach Expert Mr. Kieth Patton. He answered my question very well but I failed to mention to him that my dad,SSGT Dan Spivey,  with the 24th L Infantry 1941-1945 is a black man. Was his regiment allowed in combat? I heard they were descendents of Buffalo  Solders? Thank you Sir, Lolamarie Spivey Agins

ANSWER: Here's some info on the 92nd Infantry Division from WWII that might help. You may want to contact them http://92ndinfantry.org/

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for the information. A white family friend said there was a difference in WWII indicating the the black regiment was 24th Inf and the white 24th Infantry was segregated. Do you have information on my fathers company. "Co L 24th Inf"
SSGT Dan Spivey, 1941-1945, Western Pacific, Ryukyus. Mortar Light NCO 607, CIB

Please any information will help. Thank you

Answer
Sorry, I don't have anything on that company. You might want to check with the Army Center of Military History. The website is www.history.army.mil

This means he was a Staff Sergeant who served during the entire war, from 1941-45. It looks like he took part in the fighting at the Ryukyus Islands in 1945, mostly likely at Okinawa, one of the bloodiest battles of the war. He definitely was in combat as it looks like his MOS (military occupational specialty) was Mortar Light (a light mortar man) and he received the CIB, the Combat Infantryman Badge, which is only awarded to those who have been in combat during a war.

Here's more on the fighting in the Ryukyus:  www.history.army.mil/brochures/ryukyus/ryukyus.htm

Military History

Marc Leepson