Military History/Dad's Military Information

Question
Dads Discharge
Dads Discharge  
Hey Marc, My dad was is WW II. He would not talk much about the War. I have his discharge papers and was wondering if you could help me. He received shrapnel in his hip and shoulder during a battle and was in the hospital for about 6 months. and wasn't sent home until much later.  He received several Metals including a Bronze Star. I was wondering the circumstances of the award. This is the info I have.

His name is: James H Gibson
Organization: 17th Chemical Maintenance Company
Battle and comp[any: Rhileland Go 105 WD 45
Metals: WW II Victory Medal
         American Service Medal
         European African Eastern Service Medal with 1 Bronze Star
         Good Conduct Medal AR 600-68
         Purple Heart Go 35 hq 68th Gen Hosp 4th Dec 44
         WW II Victoy Medal 21 August 1947

I have attached his Disharge Record

Answer
You would need the Bronze Star citation that went along with the medal. The document here, what's now known as the DD-214, doesn't have it. It should be in his personnel file. As next of kin, you can get that from the National Archives. Here's the link:

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Good luck

Military History

Marc Leepson