Military History/identifying WWII Army unit

Question
I am transcribing letters written by a Lieutenant in the Army in WWI. He was stationed somewhere in the South Pacific from approximately early July 1943 until moving on to the Phillipines in the final days of the War.  The address is Btry "B" 283rd C. A. Bn. Do you know anything about this battalion and where they may have been stationed in 1943-44?

Answer
It looks like he was with Battery B of the 283rd Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzer).

Those types of unit records are in the National Archives in College Park, Md. You can search the records on line at https://www.archives.gov/research  However, it's likely you would need to go to College Park to go through the actual records.

You can find general info about WWII artillery units at http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/usarmy/artillery.aspx

Military History

Marc Leepson