Military History/1616th Engineers of WW 2

Question
To answer your questions about my father the information is as follows: Box 3: SGT  Box 32: Ardennes, Rhineland, Central Europe. Box 36: 5 Apr 44 ETO 19 Apr 44 then 19 Feb 46 USA 3 Mar 46. It also states in box 55 "inactive service in ERC from 14 Oct 43 thru 3 Nov 43 No days lost under AW 107 Lapel button issued ASR 2 Sep 45  55". I have no idea what this means. I sent this reply through another channel as well so hope you receive at least one of them. Thanks again.

Answer
Dear sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Box 32: Ardennes, Rhineland, Central Europe."  Therefore, your father served in the following Campaigns:

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace    December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

The 1616th Engineer Water Supply Company participated in the following Campaigns:

Rhineland        September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe   March 22-May 8, 1945

In your follow-up you typed "Box 36: 5 Apr 44 ETO 19 Apr 44"

Departure Date:   April 6, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Tamaroa
Arrival Date:   April 19, 1944
Arrival Location:   Avonmouth, England

April 5, 1944 was the date your father boarded the RMS Tamaroa, April 6, 1944 was the date the troop ship departed the New York Port of Embarkation.

In your follow-up you typed "19 Feb 46 USA 3 Mar 46."  Regrettably, I have no FACTS to share with you as per this troop ship voyage.  The voyage obviously took place, I just have no FACTS.

In your follow-up you typed "inactive service in ERC from 14 Oct 43 thru 3 Nov 43".  Please note Box #22 & Box #24 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  The two dates should be different, because there was a delay from when your father was inducted into the US Army until he entered into active service.  The delay may have been to do with his job prior to his time in the US Army, or family related.  A common delay.

In your follow-up you typed "ASR 2 Sep 45  55".  As of September 2, 1945, your father's Adjusted Service Rating was 55 Points.  The more "Points" you had, the sooner you went home.  "Points" were awarded for:

1 Point for every month's service beginning with September 16, 1940
1 Point for every month in service overseas
5 Points for each Campaign
5 Points for each Combat Award (Decoration) NOT including a Combat Infantryman Badge
5 Points for each Presidential Unit Citation
12 Points for each dependent child under the age of 18 (maximum three children)

My father had 107 Point on September 2, 1945, so his return to the New York Port of Embarkation was on September 28, 1945.
       Good luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell