Military History/Army Air Force

Question
MY wife's uncle served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. His name is Samuel E. Payton. His enlistment date was 18 Feb 1943 at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis, MO. He was mainly stationed at Robbins Air Base (??) near Macon, GA. Where would I go to find out more information on his unit. I have no information on that at all. His wife doesn't remember much at all other than spending most of his service time down there. I thank you for your time, any information, but above all for your service time. Thank you again.   Bill

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He was mainly stationed at Robbins Air Base (??) near Macon, GA."  Warner Robins Army Air Field was located approximately 15 miles southeast of Macon, Georgia, near the village of Wellston, Georgia.  Activated in early 1942 by the Army Air Force to be utilized by both the Air Technical Service Command & the Air Transport Command, a large air depot was located there in March 1942.
       The air depot soon acquired a basic training flight center as well as becoming one of the first three air depots in the country to establish an aircraft engine overhaul facility.  During WW 2, Warner Robins Army Air Field established a medical service school, chemical warfare training center, air freight depot, regional hospital & a signal training school (ALL Army Air Force) within its boundaries.  
       In 1948 it was renamed Robins Air Force Base, becoming the Air Logistics Center, the largest single industrial complex in Georgia.
       In your question you typed "Where would I go to find out more information on his unit."  With all due respect, what unit was your "wife's uncle" assigned [assigned] to while "He was mainly stationed at" Warner Robins Army Air Field?  Once we know what unit your "wife's uncle" was assigned [assigned] to, I can then attempt to locate the unit records.  
       What unit is typed in Box #6 on page two of your "wife's uncle" Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  The unit typed in Box #6 is the unit your "wife's uncle" was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US AAF, but it MIGHT be the unit he was assigned [assigned] to prior to September 2, 1945.  
       Also, have you access to any of your "wife's uncle" wartime correspondence?  We do not need the letters, but the envelopes.  Based upon who sent the letter, the unit your "wife's uncle" was assigned [assigned] to appears in the address or the return address.
       In your question you typed "but above all for your service time."  Thank you, but I never served in the United States Military.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell