Military History/Co A, 1262nd Engineer Combat Battalion

Question
Mr. Horrell,

my father served in the 1262nd ECB during WW II, and like your previous post says, all the records were burned in the fire of '73 in St Louis ....  

I would love to know more about my dad's service, maybe figure out how he was awarded his bronze star and purple heart.  He would never talk about it and has now passed almost 10 years ago.

Any info you have on the units whereabouts and or campaigns would be helpful...

thanks again.

Troy Heiodrn

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "my father served in the 1262nd ECB during WW II".  I am familiar with the 1262nd Engineer Combat Battalion & its role during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "like your previous says, all the records were burned in the fire of '73 in St. Louis".  IF those are THE EXACT WORDS I TYPED, then I am a liar.  In July 1973, at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri, approximately 85% of the US Army (which included the US AAF) Personnel Files were destroyed.  With all due respect, that is quite a bit different than as you typed "like your previous post says".
       In your question you typed "I would love to know more about my dad's service".  Lucky for you, I have a privately published (dated 1995) unit history of the 1262nd Engineer Combat Battalion.  Please send me your mailing address via First Class USPS & it would be my pleasure to photocopy the unit history, then send the photocopy to you via First Class USPS.
       In your question you typed "maybe figure out how he was awarded his bronze star".  YES, I would "love" to learn how your father was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.
       In your question you typed "and purple heart."  What is typed in Box #34 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell