Military History/1090th Signal Company Service Group

Question
QUESTION: I'm trying to research the 1090th my Dad served in from July 1943 to Nov. 1945.  He was wounded and received PH. What I understand was this group was a communication/installation group and normally don't engage the enemy. I came across a 1094th Sig Co Ser Gp monthly report from August 1945 which mentions the 1090th was supposed to show up but had not yet arrived. Does the 1090th have their own monthly report and if so, how can I access it? My dad was Royden Shaulis. I remember him saying he would be at the top of the telephone poles and had to slide down when shooting started! Any info would be extremely appreciated. I also found the roster for the 1090th Reunion from 1980. Dad went to several of the reunions.  Thanks a million, Karla

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I'm trying to research the 1090th my Dad served in from July 1943 to Nov. 1945."  The 1090th Signal Company Service Group participated in the following Campaigns:

New Guinea        January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944
Leyte          October 17, 1944-July 1, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation, Japan, October 5, 1945-March 5, 1946.  The 1090th was also awarded a Philippine Presidential Unit Citation for its role in the liberation of The Philippines.  Would you be so kind as to share with me with all the FACTS typed in Box #6 & Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "He was wounded and received a PH."  Would you be so kind as to share with me all the FACTS typed in Box #34 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "What I understand was this group was a communication/installation group and normally don't engage the enemy."  You are correct, but it is "the enemy" that determines whether or not your "group" is engaged!
       In your question you typed "I came across a 1094th Sig Co Ser Gp monthly report from August 1945 which mentions the 1090th".  Would you be so kind as to place your typed statement in context?
       In your question you typed "supposed to show up but had not yet arrived."  "arrived" where?
       In your question you typed "Does the 1090th have their own monthly reports".  Yes.
       In your question you typed "how can I access it?"  The unit records (including "monthly reports") are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "I remember him saying he would be at the top of the telephone poles and had to slide down when shooting started!"  From what you have typed, it reads as though your father, atop "telephone poles" had no intent what-so-ever to "engage the enemy".  However, "the enemy" had other ideas.
       Would you be so kind as to share with me all the FACTS typed in Box #30, Box #33 & Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents "WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell:

Thank you so much for all the information. The service dates  were obtained from a document I got off Ancestry.com not my Dad's Discharge Documents. (I do not have discharge docs.) The form is "Application for World War II Compensation-to be used by Honorably Discharged Veteran or Person Still in Service". There is a section on the form for the beginning and ending of Foreign Service which was July 26, 1943 and November 28, 1945 and a line for service no. and serial no. Under serial no. is 33757079. I thought this would be the service no. While researching in Ancestry.com I clicked on military tab and the 1094th Signal Company Service Group monthly report came up for August 1945 where the 1090th is mentioned in the 1st paragraph "By 15 August the 1037th Signal Company Signal Group was about to go into operation but the 1090th Signal Company Service Group had not yet arrived." I did not see in the report where the 1094th was stationed. I also have a form letter "Award of Disability Pension" form dtd. 4-24-1946 from the Veterans Administration where my Dad is to receive $11.50 a month for "disability resulting from the following conditions held to have been incurred in combat during your wartime service - gunshot wounds, left forearm and left hand". Signed by P. H. Moss  File no. C7,692,702  

Does the US Army Heritage & Education Center have a website? The monthly report from the 1094th was obtained from the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

Again, Thank you so much for all your help!
Karla

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "The service dates were obtained from a document I got off Ancestry.com".  Are the "service dates" for your father, the 1090th, or some other entity?
       In your follow-up you typed "I do not have discharge docs."  So you have begun historic research about your father during WW 2 without a Primary Source Document specific to your father's role in WW 2?  A Primary Source Document, signed by your father, indicating historic accuracy?
       In your follow-up you typed "Does the US Army Heritage & Education Center have a web site?"  I do not know.  I always deal with the center via First Class USPS with EXCELLENT results.  I have no reason to rock the boat.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell