Military History/998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company

Question
I read with interest your response to questions about the 998 treadway bridge co.  My father was a platoon leader under the company C/O Gene Hancock and was with the company from Normandy (about a week after D-day) until the war ended.  I have every letter my dad wrote his mother from 1940 to the end of the war and quite a few pictures he took along the way through Europe. The letters also talk about James Cornelius (mentioned in your discussion) who was a friend of dad's and in his unit.  James was killed when the crane he was operating rolled over several anti tank mines and I have pictures my dad took of the aftermath.  From dad's letters and the company's day reports (in dad's locker) I think I have a pretty good idea of where they were and what transpired but you mentioned having a history of the unit.  I would be most appreciative if you could forward this on to me also and any other info you may have on the 998th.  

My dad wrote one letter from Aschoffenburg after the fighting had stopped that talks about building bridges over many rivers (including the first across the Rhine at Remagen), being bombed and strafed repeatedly, being isolated 80 miles out and out of fuel and battling SS troupes, and other harrowing experiences.  He never really discussed any of this while alive and most of what I have learned is from the letters and personal effects I discovered after his passing.  Any additional information you can provide will be appreciated and if you are aware of any other descendants of members of the 998th I will be happy to communicate with them and provide what I know.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed that I "mentioned having a history of the unit.  I would be most appreciative if you could forward this on to me also and any other info you may have on the 998th."  Would you be so kind as to indicate the venue, when & to whom I "mentioned having a history of the unit."
       In your question you typed "if you are aware of any other descendants of members of the 998th I will be happy to communicate with them".  I am aware of none at this time.
       Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-98)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell