Military History/capital city

Dr. Nordquist,

I hope you can help me with this.
Have you ever heard of a place called Hauptstadt?
I was reading a story about a woman who was talking about her
time during 1941, when her and her mother was caught up in an
exiling by the soviet union in this city she lived in.
I can't find much on it, but I think it was Berlin?  They were going to be shipped to Siberia.  Do you know anything about this?
Thank you.

Haubtstadt in German literally means head city, so it means capital city. The capital city of Germany was and is indeed Berlin. Another possibility would be Vienna (Wien) which had been the capital city of Austria before it was annexed by Germany in 1938. The Soviet Army conquered Vienna close to the end of WW2 which happened in the spring of 1945. Very close to that end but after the fall of Vienna Berlin also fell to the Soviet Army. That happened at the very end of April 1945. Many people were sent to Siberia if they were regarded as politically unsound at that time. But the time you mention 1941 does not fit this scenario, it is much too early. That I can not explain unless it is a misunderstanding. That is all I can tell you based on the information you have given me.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved.

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a retired Swedish military physician-surgeon with a big interest in military history - mainly European and especially of the Nordic-Scandinavian area. This also includes the history of military medicine.

A very long and intense personal interest.

Doctor of Medicine. You can also find me here on under these categories: I also answer questions in other categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer