Military History/Civil War companies

Question
My ancestor William Lloyd Larose served in the Civil War in the 4th Regiment of RI volunteers in Company C.

I found an online book written by someone who served in the 4th Regiment of RI, but they were in Company B.

This maybe an easy question, but would the battles/experiences of companies B and C be almost identical or completely different? I'm trying to find the history of what my ancestor did and that book seems like it would be a great resource if the companies did the same thing.

I don't know much about the military or how closely companies are to each other on the field.

Here is the book I'm referring to:
http://archive.org/details/fortysixmonthswi02alle

Thanks for your help!

Answer
Actually, it's not an easy question. In the overwhelming majority of cases, both companies would have been in the same battles and other engagements. However, it was not uncommon for different units to be separated for one reason or another. So it's entirely possible that your ancestor's company did not take part in some of what's described in the other man's memoir.

I would suggest you try to find William L. Larose's Civil War service record at the National Archives. Here's a good place to start: www.archives.gov/research/military/civil-war/

Military History

Marc Leepson