Military History/Duty Assignment

Question
QUESTION: Duty Assignment: Headquarters and Headquarters Stry 21st Field Artillery Battalion

What does Stry stand for?

And is the 1st Battalion, 21st Field Artillery Regiment, "First Strike"?

ANSWER: In your question you typed "What does Stry stand for?"  "Stry" is a typographical error.  Btry should have been typed, indicating HQ & HQ Btry (Headquarters and Headquarters Battery).

In your question you typed "And is the 1st Battalion, 21st Field Artillery Regiment, "First Strike"?"  I am going to assume (something I am loathed to do) that in this context, "First Strike" is a unit's motto.  No, "First Strike" is not the unit motto of the 1st Battalion, 21st Field Artillery Regiment.

What is the date the Veteran entered the US Army & the date the Veteran was discharged from the US Army.  

QUESTION: 1944 entered the Army, 1946 joined the Regular Army, 1954 honorable discharge, 1956 joined the Air Force (AF records lost in 1973 fire).

In 1951, Hq & Hq Stry was given as part of his military postal address.  Whether related or not, HQ & HQ was not redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Battery until 1958.

You are correct, First Strike is not a motto.  After much research, First Strike appears to represent both the name and duties of a special task force so classified that there is barely mention of its existence.

This solider was part of the 82nd Airborne Division that ended World War II.  And yet, after Merchant Marine and Special Op training, the military reports this his most significant duty assignment, 05/25/54: Hq & Hq Stry 21st FA BN APO 112.  Any clues as to what happened?

ANSWER: Good Day,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "1944 entered the Army, 1946 joined the Regular Army".  Would you be so kind as to inform me as to what Primary Source Document(s) you utilized to obtain this information?
       In your follow-up you typed "so classified that there is barely mention of its existence."  Would you be so kind as to inform me as to what Primary Source Document(s) you utilized to learn that "First Strike" ever existed?
       In your follow-up you typed "This soldier was part of the 82nd Airborne Division that ended World War II."  Please enlighten me as to how the 82nd Airborne Division "ended World War II."
       In your follow-up you typed "duty assignment, 05/25/54: Hq & Hq Stry [sic] 21st FA BN APO 112."  The 21st Field Artillery Battalion was activated [activated] in Germany, May 25, 1954.  APO 112 was located at Sheridan Kaserne, Augsburg, Germany, on May 25, 1954.
       In your follow-up you typed "Any clues as to what happened?"  None, but I will when you provide me with photocopies of Primary Source Documents verifying the information you have typed as of April 1, 2016.  Please send the photocopies to the mailing address at the end of this response.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of my response to you.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections
    2011 Richard Jones Road
     Apt.      E 26
      Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: I do not have a printer.  

---

V.A. claim no. #19-499-739; Report of Separation was already sent to you, through this site, as an uploaded attachment.
This report makes note of three enlistments:
Total Foreign and or Sea Service: 2 years, 1 mo., 12 days  
Service Completed, for Pay Purposes: 4 years, 5 mo., 27 days
Net Service Completed, for Pay Purposes: 3 years, 7 mo., 12 days

V.A. claim no. #19-245-377; Report of Separation; V.A. reported by not V.A. provided.

Muster Roll can be found here:
https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=2&cat=WR26&tf=F&q=raymond+e+stroub&bc=sl&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=1828278&rlst=6622036,1828278

Original Enlistment and details V.A. reported via letter, family confirmed; exact dates arrived at by doing the math.

Neither Report of Separation or Muster Roll are entirely correct, as verified by the V.A. and family members.

---

World War II - 'who won the war' slightly varies with each writer's summation.  Personally, I'd either give credit to the people back home or say that no one won, that the war didn't end until 1991; except that it didn't.  The US government turned on its own people and that hasn't changed since.

---

None of the above, you've provoked or questioned, pertains to this:

1st Battalion, 21st Field Artillery Regiment, "First Strike"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Battalion_21st_Field_Artillery_Regiment_%28United_States%29
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military//agency/army/1-21fa.htm
http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/fa/0021fa01bn.htm
https://www.facebook.com/pages/1-21-Field-Artillery-First-Strike/195590206528
http://www.forthoodsentinel.com/editorial/fa-regt-tf-pegasus-fires-readies-for-d

---

I stand corrected, as the print was barely legible.  The exact address given was: Hq & Hq Btry 21st FA BN APO 112

Answer
Good Day,
       I acknowledge your follow-up.  In it you typed "I do not have a printer."  My hope is that in the near future your circumstances will be as such that you will obtain a printer.
       In your follow-up you typed "V.A. claim no. #19-499-739; Report of Separation was already sent to you, through this site, as an uploaded attachment."  Respectfully, no, it was not.
       In your follow-up you typed "exact dates arrived at by doing the math."  Respectfully, who did "the math"?  
       In your follow-up you typed "Neither Report of Separation or Muster Roll are entirely correct, as verified by the V.A. and family members."  Respectfully, why is this significant?
       In your follow-up you typed "World War II - 'who won the war' slightly varies.......and that hasn't changed since."  All I can type is, we will agree to disagree!
       In your follow-up you typed "None of the above, you've provoked or questioned, pertain to this:".  Again, respectfully, why was it typed?
       From the context of your initial question & follow-ups, I assume (something I am loathed to do) you disagree with the FACTS typed in Primary Source Documents about your loved one's role in the US Military.  Since Primary Source Documents are generated by humans, there is always a chance of Human Error.  In my OPINION, Human Error tends to be minimal, certainly far less than recollections by humans, decades after the event.  I am sure that what you just read is NOT what you wanted to read, but it is my OPINION.
       I will continue to eagerly await "photocopies of Primary Source Documents verifying the information you have typed as of April 1, 2016."  Please include your e-mail address for my ease of response to you.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections
    2011 Richard Jones Road
     Apt.      E 26
      Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell