You are here:

Military History/my father's World War 2 medals


Dear Mr. Horrell,

I contacted you a few years ago (8/2013) about my dad's separation papers.  You were a big help to me then and now I am back searching again.

My dad, Otto W. Mjelde (Willy) was in the 725th Field Artillery Battalion and the 649th Engineer Topographic Battalion (Army).I have a yearbook for the 649th with him in a photo, is there anywhere else to get photo's of his units?

I am also trying to get duplicates of any medals he received. Would I be correct in saying he earned:

Good Conduct Medal
American Defense Service Medal
European African Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Ribbon with
    Bronze Service Arrowhead
World War 2 Victory Medal
Army of Occupation Medal - Germany
649th Engr Bn TOPO

Is there some way to purchase these medals?  Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you


Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "is there anywhere else to get photo's of his units?"  May I suggest that you contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

When you make your request, be sure to state that if that facility cannot assist you, have they a suggestion of other facilities that may be able to assist you.
       In your question you typed "I am also trying to get duplicates of any medals he received."  Please note Box #33 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Those would be the medals that he was authorized to wear.  Please note Box #56 on the document, your father signed the document, confirming the FACTS typed within are accurate.
       In your question you typed "Is there some way to purchase these medals?"  Yes, but there is a way to obtain copies free!  Contact the UNITED STATES Congressperson that represents you in Washington, DC.  Explain to their aid what you are trying to obtain, as you have explain your quest to me.  The aid will direct you to visit the Congressperson's office in their district, near where you live.  Visit said office, with a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) that you can leave at the office.  The photocopy will be their proof that your father was a Veteran, as well as indicated the medals he was authorized to receive.
       This is an EXCELLENT time to obtain copies of your father's medals, since it is an election year.  ALL elected officials appreciate the Veteran Vote, so this will be an opportunity to have in the local media that your UNITED STATES Congressperson IS Veteran-friendly.
       Good Luck with your quest.

  Happy Easter,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard V. Horrell


Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.


A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Awards and Honors
Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Past/Present Clients
Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.

©2017 All rights reserved.