Military History/Name of my dad's group

Question
QUESTION: My dad told me several times that he was in Atta First Armored Division, tank cars.  I cannot find anything with Atta mentioned anywhere.  He had one APO # 871, then it changed to APO # 1099, then APO # 1220.  I am so curious about him using the word Atta and what the APO changes represent.   Thank you so very much!

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My dad told me several times that he was in Atta First Armored Division, tank cars."  "Atta" is also a word/term completely foreign to me.  I have in my hands the unit history of the 1st Armored Division, & there is nothing within the text as per "Atta".  You also typed the term "tank cars" which to me are the type railroad cars with a liquid storage tank upon the rolling stock, NOT a tracked, armored fighting vehicle.
       In your question you typed "APO#871".  APO 871, HQ, Services of Supply, European Theater of Operation, was established at Cheltenham Park, England, July 10, 1942.  It was moved to Bovingdon, England, October 27, 1944 & ceased operation September 20, 1945.  Would you be so kind at to provide me with the date STAMPED upon the envelope of APO 871?
       In your question you typed "APO#1099".  APO 1099 was a temporary APO, operational in England from June 11, 1942 to January 1945.  Would you be so kind as to provide with the date STAMPED upon the envelope of APO 1099?
       In your question you typed "APO#1220".  APO 1220 was a temporary APO, operational in England from June 12, 1942 to March 1945.  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the date STAMPED upon the envelope of APO 1220?
       In your question you typed "I am so curious about him.......the APO changes represent."  So am I.  Elements of the 1st Armored Division arrived in Great Britain onboard the following two voyages:

Departure Date:   May 10, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   May 16, 1942
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   May 31, 1942
Troop Ship:   USAT Thomas H. Barry
Arrival Date:   June 11, 1942
Arrival Location:   Belfast, NORTHERN Ireland
    via Halifax, Nova Scotia 6/2-3/1942

By the end of November 1942 the vast majority of the 1st Armored Division was in North Africa, so the window of time for a soldier assigned [assigned] to the 1st Armored Division in Great Britain is small, indeed.
       Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick reply!  Here are the dates:
   APO  1099. - June 16, 1942.      APO 871. - I have three letters dating July 25, 1942, August 13, 1942 & September 15, 1942.  APO 302 does not have a date, but I think it is after Aug 29, 1942 and before Sep 28, 1942.  APO 1220 is dated September 28, 1942.  The last three letters to my grandmother were from APO 700, even though they were from three different places:  his 1st Lt in North Africa, then from 12th memorial hospital in Memphis Tennessee, then tilton hospital at fort dix.    Concerning the ship, he said it took 14 days and he landed in Scotland.  I have 2 letters from camp Berkeley in Abilene, dated June 10 & June 16, 1942.  He was in 1st Armored division, my grandmother saved his patches.  I tried to get his papers, but was told they burned.   I am so grateful for any help.  Thank you!

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "APO 302 (a new APO!)  does not have a date, but I think it is after Aug 29, 1942 and before Sep 28, 1942."  APO 302, II Corps, was located at Tidworth, England.
       In your follow-up you typed "Concerning the ship, he said it took 14 days and he landed in Scotland."  Since the voyage of the RMS Queen Mary took six days & the voyage of the USAT Thomas H. Barry arrived in Belfast, NORTHERN Ireland, obviously your father did not sail overseas with the 1st Armored Division.  It is ashamed that you would not provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  FACTS such as those dates are invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.
       In your follow-up you typed "I have 2 letters from camp [sic] Berkeley [sic] in Abilene, dated June 10 & 16, 1942."  Camp Barkeley (Abilene) Texas, was an Armored Division Camp & Medical Replacement Training Center.
       In your follow-up you typed "He was in 1st Armored division [sic], my grandmother saved his patches."  In any of your father's wartime correspondence does he ever utilize APO 251?  I type that because APO 251 was the APO of the 1st Armored Division.
       In your follow-up you typed "I tried to get his papers, but was told they burned."  Yes, but the 6-10 copies of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) that he was provided when he was discharged did not burn.  The Discharge Documents were in his care, NOT with his Personnel File that was destroyed in the July 1973 fire, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri.
       The following is an APO Timeline, based upon what you have provided me:

APO ___     Camp Barkeley, TX     June 10, 1942

APO ___     Camp Barkeley, TX     June 16, 1942

APO 1099     England          June 16, 1942

APO 871     Cheltenham Park, England     July 25, 1942

APO 871     Cheltenham Park, England     August 13, 1942

APO 871     Cheltenham Park, England     September 15, 1942

APO 302     Tidworth, England          between August 29 & September 28, 1942
(new to me)
APO 1220     England          September 28, 1942

The first FACT that I note is that since the last of the 1st Armored Division arrived in Belfast, NORTHERN Ireland on June 11, 1942 & your father was still at Camp Barkeley, TX on June 16, 1942, your father did not sail overseas with the 1st Armored Division.  Not good, not bad, just a simple FACT of History.  Next, how was it your father had "APO 1099. -June 16, 1942" as well as "I have 2 letters from camp [sic] Berkeley [sic] in Abilene, dated June 10 & 16, 1942."  Was your father at Camp Barkeley, or APO 1099 in England?
       Would you be so kind as to photocopy the four pages of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell