Military History/204th Quartermaster Battalion

Question
Mr. Horrell, Where can I get more information and more details about my Father's service record? I requested his military records 15 years ago and received lots of good information from the Records Reconstruction Branch . . . Does that mean the bulk of his records were destroyed in the 1973 fire?

Included are the following:
Enlistment papers
Report of Physical Exam & Induction
A of state side Clinical Records
Immunization Records
Service Record, which includes dates, campaigns, hospital stays, financials, etc.
Record of medals, ribbons, bars, etc.
Honorable Discharge Papers

I want more details about his transport ship, where he landed in North Africa, his unit's history/details/locations, etc, his hospital stays (locations, records etc), the letter recommending Good Conduct Medal and Bronze Star, etc.

5th Army
Alfred G. Akin, 34-352-575
Enlisted 7/4/42 Fort McPherson, GA
9/22/42 Co. D 204th QM BN - Camp Sift, TX
Left 3/5/42, NYPE for North Africa
Arrived 3/18/43 North Africa
5/6/43 HQ Det 204th QM BN
5/29/43 CO A 204th QM BN
Left 9/3/43 for Italy
Arrived 9/9/43 Salerno, Italy
9/9/43 - 1/21/44 Naples-Foggia Campaign
12/10/43 3837th QM GS Co
1/22/44 - 9/9/44 Rome-Arno Campaign
11/13/44 - 12/5/44 55th Station Hospital
12/7/44 - 1/12/45 118th Station Hospital
3/26/45 Departed Italy for USA
8/22/45 Discharged, Fort McPherson, GA

That's a lot of information!!  But I want MORE!!  I will be grateful for any help/direction you can give me!!

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good Manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "Where can I get more information and more details about my Father's service record?"  Specifically his "service record", I do not know.
       In your question you typed "I requested his military records 15.......the Records Reconstruction Branch."  LUCKY YOU, most people do NOT.
       In your question you typed "Does that mean the bulk of his records were destroyed in the 1973 fire?"  I do not know.
       In your question you typed "I want more details about his transport ship".  Please read on.
       In your question you typed "where he landed in North Africa".  Casablanca, Morocco, Northwest Africa.
       In your question you typed "his unit's history/details/locations".  The unit records are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "his hospital stays".  Please read on.
       In your question you typed "the letter recommending Good Conduct Medal and Bronze Star" Medal for Valor.  Would you be so kind as to indicate to me the Primary Source Document you possess that indicates your father was awarded a "Bronze Star" Medal for Valor?
       In your question you typed "Enlisted 7/4/42 Fort McPherson, GA".  Would you be so kind as to indicate to me what Primary Source Document you possess that indicates your father "Enlisted" in the US Army?
       In your question you typed "Left 3/5/42, NYPE for North Africa  Arrived 3/18/43 North Africa".  Since a voyage from an East Coast Port of Embarkation to Northwest Africa could not take almost 54 weeks, the "3/5/42" date is an error.  Base upon a 3/5/43 departure date:

Departure Date:   5:45 am, Friday, March 5, 1943
Departure Location:   Pier 16, Staten Island, New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS John Ericsson
Arrival Date:   1:40 pm, Thursday, March 18, 1943
Arrival Location:   Casablanca, Morocco, Northwest Africa

In your question you typed "Arrived 9/9/43 Salerno, Italy".  Would you be so kind as to indicate to me what Primary Source Document you possess that indicates your father arrived at Salerno, Italy, September 9, 1943?
       In your question you typed "12/10/43 3837th QM GS Co".  The 3837th QM Gas Supply Company participated in the following Campaigns:

Naples-Foggia        September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno          January 22-September 9, 1944
North Apennines      September 10, 1944-April 4, 1945
Po Valley          April 5-May 8, 1945

The 204th QM Battalion participated in the following Campaigns:

Naples-Foggia
Rome-Arno

and was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period January 1-March 1, 1945.  General Order #39, HQ, Fifth Army.  Awarded April 9, 1945.
       In your question you typed "11/13/44 - 12/5/44 55th Station Hospital".  The 55th Station Hospital was located at Pratolino (north of Florence) Italy, October 16, 1944 through May 21, 1945.
       In your question you typed "12/7/44 - 1/12/45 118th Station Hospital".  The 118th Station Hospital was located at Naples, Italy, October 14, 1943 through May 20, 1945.
       In your question you typed "3/26/45 Departed Italy for USA".  Regrettably, I have no FACTS to share with you as per your father's voyage in March/April 1945.  Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "8/22/45 Discharged, Fort McPherson, GA".  So what were your father's activities in the US Army from mid April 1945 to late August 1945?  Why was your father sent back to the USA prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed" That's a lot of information!!"  Yes, you typed a lot of information.  Do you desire information or FACTS!
       In your question you typed "But I want MORE!!"  I know of 16 million families that could type the same statement.  Too bad those same 16 million families did not obtain their loved one's personnel file from 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132 in July, 1972!!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Please visit my blog at WW2Connections.net

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell