Military History/Father's WW 2 Record

Question
I am researching my late father's military record (T-Sgt Earl Larry Wills - 6977646)and found that he did not receive all the medals he was entitled to.  I have his Army jacket with most of them on it but not all. He enlisted in the US Army Infantry in Nov. 1939 - was assigned to the First Division 16th Inf. Medical Battalion. During combat in Sicily, he was awarded the Silver Star. His jacket has what I believe is the French Croix de Guerre which is not listed on his discharge record. He also received a distinguished Unit Badge w/1OLC. How do I get a copy of that unit award which I believe was for the 1st Division.  
He was also reassigned to the 42nd Rainbow Division stationed in Camp Gruber, OK where he was training troops before departing overseas with the division in January 1945.  How could I get a copy of his reassignment papers from the 1st Division to the 42nd Division?
I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "was assigned to the First Division 16th Inf. Medical Battalion."  With all due respect, there was no unit with that numerical designation activated by the US Army during WW 2.  There was the 16th Infantry Regiment, an organic element of the 1st Infantry Division, as well as the 1st Medical Battalion, also an organic element of the 1st Infantry Division.  Somehow you blended together two units, both organic elements of the 1st Infantry Division.  Which one of the two units was your father assigned [assigned] to prior to October 1, 1944, the 16th Infantry Regiment or the 1st Medical Battalion?
       In your question you typed "How do I get a copy of that unit award which I believe was for the 1st Division."  To obtain Citations for specific units assigned [assigned] to the 1st Infantry Division during WW 2, I suggest you contact:

1st Infantry Division Museum
1 S 151 Winfield Road
 Wheaton   IL   60189

In your question you typed "How could I get a copy of his reassignment papers from the 1st Division to the 42nd Division?"  The Unit Records for the 1st Infantry Division & the 42nd Infantry Division are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell