Military History/Unit History; WW 2 Service

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
I have found my dad's Discharge papers and am hoping you can clarify some entries and point me to sources of information or books about his unit.
From the Discharge Paper:
6. Organization it says CO B 333 INF
30. Military Occupational Specialty => RIFLEMAN 745
31. Military Qualification and date => CIB 23 Jan 44
32. Battles and Campaigns => ARDENNES CENTRAL EUROPE RHINELAND GO 33 WD 45 ASAMENDED
33. Decorations and Citations => AMER SVC MEDAL EAME SVC MEDAL GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL WORLD WAR II VICTORY MEDAL
Service in Europe from 10 OCT 44 to 29 Jan 46
Highest grade PFC
REMARKS LAPEL BUTTON ISSUED ASR SCORE (2 SEP 45) 59.
Thank you very much,
Yours Truly,
Sam

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "point me to sources of information or books about his unit."  Gladly!  My only regret is that you did not provide your father's name, since I would be able to provide FACTS about your father's role in WW 2, not just the unit he was assigned [assigned] to.
       In your question you typed Box #"6. Organization it says CO B 333 INF".  The unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) is the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to after May 8, 1945, for the purpose of your father's return to the USA.  SOMETIMES it is also the unit the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.  In this context, I do believe that is the case.  Knowing your father's name would have settled the issue, since I have a roster of the 333rd Infantry Regiment, an Organic Element of the 84th Infantry Division during WW 2.
       In your question you typed Box #"30. Military Occupational Specialty => RIFLEMAN 745".  Your father was an Infantryman, those that take the high ground, then hold until relieved.
       In your question you typed Box #"31. Military Qualification and date => CIB 23 Jan 44".  Your father was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge on January 23, 1944.  That means that he was in combat prior to January 23, 1944.  The problem is, the 333rd Infantry Regiment did not depart an East Coast (USA) Port of Embarkation until September 20, 1944.  So, IF your father was assigned [assigned] to the 333rd Infantry Regiment, how was he able to earn a CIB in combat within the continental USA?
       In your question you typed Box #"32. Battles and Campaigns => ARDENNES CENTRAL EUROPE RHINELAND GO ## WD 45 ASAMENDED [sic]".  Your father participated in the following Campaigns:

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace    December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

These are the same Campaigns the 333rd Infantry Regiment participated in.
       In your question you typed Box #"33. Decorations and Citations => AMER SVC MEDAL EAME SVC MEDAL GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL WORLD WAR II VICTORY MEDAL".  Your father was awarded an American Campaign Medal, for one year service within the continental USA; European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal for service in the European Theater of Operation; a Good Conduct Medal for Good Conduct & a WW 2 Victory Medal for service within the US Armed Forces, 1941-1946.
       In your question you typed Box #36 "Service in Europe from 10 OCT 44 to 29 Jan 46".  Since you did not provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) I am unable to provide you with the FACTS as per your father's voyage overseas in 1944 & his return to the USA in 1946.
       In your question you typed Box #38 "Highest grade PFC".  Pay was $54.00 per month.
       In your question you typed Box #55 "REMARKS LAPEL BUTTON ISSUED ASR SCORE (2 SEP 45) 59."  Your father was provided a brass "LAPEL BUTTON" to wear in the button hole of his civilian suit coat or sport coat, for all to see that he was an Honorably Discharged member of the US Military.  Your father's Adjusted Service Rating Score was 59, that is he earned 59 Points toward being discharged from the US Military.  
       I suggest you obtain a copy of:

The 84th Infantry Division in the Battle of Germany: November 1944-May 1945
by Theodore Draper
Nashville   TN          The Battery Press          2000

IF your father was assigned [assigned] to the 333rd Infantry Regiment prior to May 8, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Discharge Paper
Discharge Paper  
QUESTION: Thank you very much Mr. Horrell, we appreciate your work on this and your thorough answers!
In follow up, my fathers name was Norman Parnass, if you can "provide FACTS about your father's role in WW 2, not just the unit he was assigned [assigned] to."
I see the problem you detail, with his "CIB 23 JAN 44" since he didn't depart till September 44. (Does the Army make mistakes on discharge forms?!) His other dates listed from Box 35 were; date off departure 20 SEP 44 (Destination) ETO and date of arrival 10 OCT 44. Then DOD 29 Jan 46 destination USA and Arrival 12 FEB 46.
Thank you also for the referance by Theodore Draper, they had a Kindle version on Amazon!
Respectfully,
Sam Parnass

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Yes, I can confirm that your father, from Brooklyn, New York was assigned [assigned] to Company B. 1st Battalion, 333rd Infantry Regiment, 84th Infantry Division while he served in the ETO prior to May 8, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "Does the Army make mistakes on discharge forms?!"  Yes, since human error has been around since christ was a corporal.  May I ask you a question?  Did your father make a mistake when he signed in Box #56, indicating that the content of said document was accurate?  Again, the possibility of human error.  Two different people making an error on the same document?  I will type no more on this specific topic, since I do not know what more to type.
       As to your father's voyage overseas:

Departure Date:   September 20, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Stirling Castle
Arrival Date:   October 10, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England

The RMS Stirling Castle had a collision with another vessel in convoy, thus returning to the New York Port of Embarkation.  The troop ship's second departure was on September 29, 1944, arriving at Liverpool October 10, 1944
       As to your father's return to the USA, I regret that I have no FACTS to share with you.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell