Military History/WW 2 Grandfather request

Question
We recently found my Grandfather's old papers and we're trying to learn about his time as a soldier in WW2.  Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

From Discharge and Separation official papers:

Harry L. Powell, 33 859 122, Pfc, Battery B, 880th Field Artillery Battalion, 69th Infantry Division.

Date of Entry 24 AUG 44, Separation 20 DEC 45

Cannoneer.  Was member of 105 mm Howitzer crew.  No. 1 man on crew.  Pulled the pin which fired the gun. Performed duties in European Theater of operation.

Battles and Campaigns: G033WD45: Rhineland Central Europe

Date of Departure: 10 FEB 45.  Arrived Scotland 18 FEB 45. Returned to USA 3 DEC 45.

There also was a small notebook that appeared to be in his handwriting.  Had addresses of locals who were also in the war or in Washington DC.  Also had a 2 page list called "Names of Towns" which look to be where he went but are hard to find or follow.  They are as follows:

Hampton    DEC 12
Reading      DEC 13
Partland     JAN 22
LA AEUINIE  JAN 2
AMEL   FEB 9
ARDENE  FEB 11
GEU        MAR 3
DALNEM   MAR 10
ROUDuOE)COLOG  MAR 20 (hard to read this one)
KOBLING   MAR 29
LIMBURG  MAR 31
RHEID APR 3
BALHORN  APR 4
KASSEL APR 5
DAHLHEIM APR 6

MERSEBURG MAY 8
ida      JULY
S. Hampton DEC 12
Reading

Thank you if you can help

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "880th Field Artillery Battalion, 69th Infantry Division."  IF that is the unit that is typed in Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55) that is the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to for his return to the USA in late 1945.  It may or may NOT have been the unit he was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.
       In your question you typed "Pulled the pin which fired the gun."  Respectfully, your grandfather "Pulled the" lanyard that released the firing "pin".  Also, your grandfather fired a howitzer, not a "gun".  A "gun" fired a flat trajectory, a "howitzer" fired an arced trajectory.
       In your question you typed "Battles and Campaigns: GO33WD45: Rhineland Central Europe":

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

In your question you typed "Date of Departure: 10 FEB 45.  Arrived Scotland 18 FEB 45."

Departure Date:   February 11, 1945
Departure Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS West Point  AP-23
Arrival Date:   February 17, 1945
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    7,138 Troops onboard

HOWEVER, the 880th Field Artillery Battalion departed the New York Port of Embarkation December 1, 1944, arriving in England December 12, 1944.  Therefore, your grandfather did not sail to Great Britain with the 880th Field Artillery Battalion.  This is not a good thing nor a bad thing, just a simple FACT of History.
       In your question you typed "Returned to USA 3 DEC 45."  IF the December 3, 1945 date is the date your grandfather arrived back in the USA, then:

Departure Date:   November 28, 1945
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   USS West Point  AP-23
Arrival Date:   December 3, 1945
Arrival Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
    MAGIC CARPET voyage

HOWEVER, the 880th Field Artillery Battalion arrived at the New York Port of Embarkation September 14, 1945.  Therefore, your grandfather did not sail from the E.T.O. back to the USA with the 880th Field Artillery Battalion.  This is not a good thing nor a bad thing, just a simple FACT of History.
       May I suggest you read the following unit history:

Rounds Complete!  An account of the 880 Field Artillery Battalion, 1 December 1944-1 July 1945
by ___?___?___
Nordenham, Germany          Karl Blanke          1945

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell