Military History/ww2

what is your favorite battle of world war 2 and why?

For more information please see my previous answer here to your fellow Canadian Nathan with regards to the Scandinavian countries in World War 2.

Well I am a Swede living in Sweden but as a child I spent some time between the age of 5 and 7 years in Helsinki Finland and I regard Finland as my second but equal native country! So it is easy to pick that battle. It is the battle of Suomensalmi (= Finnish Strait) where along the Raate road the Finns managed to surround and completely annihilate a superior Soviet force proving that it at least was possible to defeat a Soviet military force. This happened during the Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved.

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a retired Swedish military physician-surgeon with a big interest in military history - mainly European and especially of the Nordic-Scandinavian area. This also includes the history of military medicine.

A very long and intense personal interest.

Doctor of Medicine. You can also find me here on under these categories: I also answer questions in other categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer