Military History/My father during WW 2

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,
My father passed away on the 60th anniversary of D-Day at the age of 79. I have been trying to discover his duties during the War, which he had been very private about. I know the following; Dowie William Kuiper, DOB 1-16-25, Enlisted 5-7-43, Release 1-28-46, trained at Ft Sheridan, Ill, went to Europe on a transport in July 45, was promoted to corporal in the field artillery unit in Belgium on 10-26-44, fought in the Battle of the Bulge and struggled his entire life with that action.
I'm trying to find out his unit, where he was active during that battle and what he experienced, plus any decorations he received. I remember him talking about liberating a town and he had brought a huge Nazi flag home, with 6 inch silver fringe all around it.My brothers were quite distant from my dad and I want to explain why they shouldn't feel that way. I hope you can help. I have dozens of books and troop movement details from the battle.
Sincerely,
Dan Kuiper

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you indicated that your father "went to Europe on a transport in July 45".  I have an extensive list of troop transports that sailed to the E.T.O. in July 1945.  However, combat ceased in the E.T.O. on Tuesday, May 8, 1945.  Therefore, there was no combat in the E.T.O. for your father to participate in if he arrived in July 1945.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE FACTS typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  That way, when I go forth with research on your behalf, I will be doing so with FACTS from a Primary Source Document, a document signed by your father (Box #56) indicating accuracy.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Please visit my blog at WW2Connections.net

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell