Military History/My father during WW 2

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
My father passed away on the 60th anniversary of D-Day at the age of 79. I have been trying to discover his duties during the War, which he had been very private about. I know the following; Dowie William Kuiper, DOB 1-16-25, Enlisted 5-7-43, Release 1-28-46, trained at Ft Sheridan, Ill, went to Europe on a transport in July 45, was promoted to corporal in the field artillery unit in Belgium on 10-26-44, fought in the Battle of the Bulge and struggled his entire life with that action.
I'm trying to find out his unit, where he was active during that battle and what he experienced, plus any decorations he received. I remember him talking about liberating a town and he had brought a huge Nazi flag home, with 6 inch silver fringe all around it.My brothers were quite distant from my dad and I want to explain why they shouldn't feel that way. I hope you can help. I have dozens of books and troop movement details from the battle.
Sincerely,
Dan Kuiper

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you indicated that your father "went to Europe on a transport in July 45".  I have an extensive list of troop transports that sailed to the E.T.O. in July 1945.  However, combat ceased in the E.T.O. on Tuesday, May 8, 1945.  Therefore, there was no combat in the E.T.O. for your father to participate in if he arrived in July 1945.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE FACTS typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  That way, when I go forth with research on your behalf, I will be doing so with FACTS from a Primary Source Document, a document signed by your father (Box #56) indicating accuracy.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
I'm sorry But I made an error. He went over in July of 43. The newspaper clipping says he landed in Europe on the 27th. All my fathers documents were destroyed many years ago. The only trail I can follow now is some newspaper documents from my grandfather who kept track of my dad. I do know for a fact he participated in the Ardennes Battle. I'm sorry for my mistype. If there is another source you can direct me to, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all your assistance, Dan

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "He went over in July of 43."  So your father entered the US Army on "5-7-43" and "went over in July of 43"?  Not much time for training prior to going overseas!
       In your follow-up you typed "The newspaper clipping says he landed in Europe on the 27th."  So you are typing that the newspaper indicates that your father arrived in Europe July 27, 1943?  Axis Forces occupied "Europe" until Tuesday, June 6, 1944.  Your father may have arrived in Great Britain on July 27, 1943, but Great Britain is NOT Europe.  On July 27, 1943, the following troop transports arrived at Gourock, Scotland:

SS Santa Elena
USAT Edmund B. Alexander
USAT James Parker
USAT Thomas H. Barry
RMS Queen Elizabeth

I wish to be clean on this FACT, the troop transports arrived at Gourock, Scotland, NOT Europe.
       In your follow-up you typed "All my father's documents were destroyed many years ago."  So when your "father passed away on the 60th anniversary of D-Day" your family had no copy of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) to provide to the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements?
       In your follow-up you typed "The only trail I can follow now is some newspaper" clippings.  With all due respect, your "trail" is NOT one based in FACT.
       In your follow-up you typed "I do know for a fact he participated in the Ardennes Battle."  And your source for that "fact" is?  I do not wish to be rude, but you are asking me to begin FACT-based historic research with no FACTS from Primary Source Documents.  My experience is, such an endeavor is fraught with peril!  I do sincerely wish to assist you.  But to do so, I need FACTS. The best source for FACTS about your father's role in WW 2 are the four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) he was provided when he was discharged from the US Army.  Your father was provided with 6-10 copies, where are those 6-10 copies?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell