Military History/Father's Naval Service

My father served in the Navy from 1942 - 1945 aboard a troop transport ship called the S.S. Alex Lillington out of New York City.

His letters to his sister were largely about his social life but I am interested in knowing more about the service he performed on board ship if that is somehow possible.

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I am interested in knowing more about the service he performed on board ship".  May I suggest you obtain his Personnel File.  Send your letter-of-request to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
 St. Louis   MO   63138

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.