Military History/Father's WW 2 Record

Question
QUESTION: Henry Eugene Palmerino
Born: 29 Oct 1919, Southbridge, Ma.
Entered Military: 27 Jan 1942, Ft. Devens, MA (Worcester County)
Discharged: 07 Dec 1945
Died: 10 Dec 1993
Served: U.S. Army
Rank: Pvt
Branch: Branch Immaterial-Warrant Officers
Component: Selectees (enlisted men)
Ser#: 31041806
Affiliate ARC Identifier: 1263923

Know only that he was a participant in the Italian Campaign, landed in Sicily and went all the way up the country to Germany.  he never spoke of the war or his participation.
Curious about any additional pertinent information including the unit he served in, any awards, medical records, etc..

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "he was a participant in the Italian Campaign".  The Campaigns of the "Italian Campaign" are as follows:

Naples-Foggia          September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno          January 22-September 9, 1944
Anzio          January 22-May 24, 1944
North Apennines        September 10, 1944-April 4, 1945
Po Valley          April 5-May 8, 1945

Would you be so kind as to indicate which of these Campaigns are indicated in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "landed in Sicily".  The Sicily Campaign was fought July 9-August 17, 1943.
       In your question you typed "went all the way up the country to Germany."  With all due respect, which "country" do you refer to?  If it is Italy, Germany & Italy are not contiguous.  One must pass through Switzerland (neutral) or Austria to travel from Italy to Germany.
       In your question you typed "the unit he served in".  Would you be so kind as to indicate what is typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "any awards"?  Would you be so kind as to indicate what is typed in Box #33 & #34 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Also, would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES that are typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Box#32 - Rhineland Central Europe

He mentioned to our mother that he landed in Sicily.  The reason we believe he got to Germany is because he brought home some pottery that he told our mother he got in Germany (in a town noted for it's silversmithing).

Box#6 - Served in Headquarters Company, 1st BN 297th Infantry Regiment

Box#33 - Good Conduct Medal, Victory Medal, American Theater Campaign Ribbon, European African Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Ribbon, Bronze Star Medal
Go #213 HQ 100 Inf Div 31 July 45

Box#34 - None

Box#36 - 6 OCT 44   ETO   20 Oct 44
        22 NOV 45  USA   1 DEC 45

Box#41 - Service Schools Attended - Balloon School Balloon Chief 6 weeks Camp Tyson Tenn 42

Box#55 Remarks - Sharpshooter-Pistol, Combat Infantryman Badge, Distinguished Unit Badge, Go #260 HQ 100th Inf Div 45,
Issued Lapel Button
ASR Score 2 Sept 45 70 (handwritten 77 at the end of this line)

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Rhineland Central Europe".  

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

One more Campaign should be added to these two:

Ardennes-Alsace      December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945

In your follow-up you typed "297th Infantry Regiment".  The 297th Infantry Regiment was a part of the Territory of Alaska Nation Guard.  The correct unit was the 397th Infantry Regiment.  More on how I know this to be a FACT as I type on.
       In your follow-up you typed "Bronze Star Medal Go #213 HQ 100 Inf Div 31 July 45".  An Organic Element of the 100th Infantry Division during WW 2 was the 397th Infantry Regiment.  I own a list of the men of the 397th Infantry Regiment that were awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.  On the list there is typed "Palmerino, Henry E., Cpl-Heilbronn, Ger."  So, your father was assigned [assigned] to the 397th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division during WW 2.  And, he was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor for his role in the Battle of Heilbronn, Germany, April 4-12, 1945!
       In your follow-up you typed "6 OCT 44  ETO  20 Oct 44".

Departure Date:   October 6, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USAT George Washington
Arrival Date:   October 20, 1944
Arrival Location:   Marseilles, France
    via the Straits of Gibraltar, 6,578 Troops onboard

In your follow-up you typed "22 NOV 45 USA  1 DEC 45".

Departure Date:   November 22, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   USS Hermitage  AP-54
Arrival Date:   December 1, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

In your follow-up you typed "Distinguished Unit Badge".  The 397th Infantry Regiment was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation for its role in the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign during the period January 1-5, 1945.
       In your question you typed "he never spoke of the war or his participation."  Just so you are clear as to your father's "participation" in WW 2, he was a highly decorated (Combat Infantryman Badge, Presidential Unit Citation, Bronze Star Medal for Valor) soldier, one that fought bravely to defend our republic!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell