Military History/Fifth Army Commemorative Medal

Question
5th Army Commemorative
5th Army Commemorative  
Mr. Horrell,

I have been researching my father's time in the Army during WWII and gathering copies of all his medals to pass on to my son who is currently in the NAVY.

I am stumped on one medal that he has. The 5th Army Commemorative Medal for October 1st when they entered Naples. I have yet to find one that looks just like his. Could you possible look at the picture I uploaded and let me know if you know where I might find another one like it.

Many thanks in advance,
Mrs. Julie Hartmann

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "let me know if you know where I might find another one like it."  Since this medal is NOT a medal issued by the US Military, its source in unknown to me.  Also, the hole at the bottom of the medal is of GREAT interest to me.
       My suggestion is to begin your research by contacting "The Citadel", in Charleston, South Carolina.  General Mark Wayne Clark, commander of Fifth Army on October 1, 1943, was president of The Citadel, March 1, 1954-July 1, 1965.  All of General Clark's papers at archived at The Citadel, so if Fifth Army authorized this unofficial medal, some record of all this should be in General Clark's papers.
       If that source does not come to fruition, then I would contact the 36th Infantry Division Museum, located somewhere in Texas (of course), since the 36th Infantry Division was a Texas National Guard Division.  I am sure the museum exists, I have contacted the facility in the past.  Somehow I no longer have the contact information available to me.  Damn, old age is NOT fun!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell