Military History/1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion, WW 2

Question
My grandfather was in the 1885th battalion and I noticed another person from a few years back had posted that he had pictures of his grandfathers.  I think the date was 3/21/2012..  I was so happy to see the battalion number because as a child my grandmother had a similiar picture and it was lost in a fire. My question to you is, on grandpas' discharge papers he is in CO B 1885th engr avn battalion.. On line 30 he is listed as a construction worker 188. Are they the same group? Also with him being in the engineer aviation battalion, would the air corp (air force) have any records or photos of the battalion?  I have contacted the records dept in St. Louis and of course his records were in the damaged section of the storage facilty.. Any help you could give to me or pass my email on to would be so helpful and appreciated.  Love looking at your web page answers. My grandfather was William D Reeves from Alabama.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My question to you is, on.......Are they the same group?"  No.  The unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) was the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army.  The FACT typed in Box #30 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55) was his M.O.S. (Military Occupational Specialty & Number).  Your grandfather was a Duty Soldier II (188) with a sub-specialty of Construction Worked (AAF).  Comparing the FACTS in Box #6 & Box #30 would be like comparing apples to cinder blocks.  No correlation, what-so-ever.
       In your question you typed "with him being in the engineer aviation battalion, would the air corps (air force) have any records or photos of the battalion?"  First, a clarification.  The "air corp" (Army Air Corps) existed from July 2, 1926 to April 30, 1942.  On May 1, 1942 the new term AAF (Army Air Force) was adopted, until The National Security Act of September 18, 1947, establishing an independent US Air Force.  So during WW 2, your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to an Army Engineer Unit, utilized by the US Army Air Force.  As to "records or photos" you may wish to contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

or the Engineer Museum at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
       In your question you typed "Any help you could give to me".  There are two unit histories I recommend, both at the National Archives in Washington, DC:

The '85 Moves Up.  1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion

Pacific Duty with the 933rd Engineer Aviation Regiment  (The 933rd was the Higher Formation the 1885th was assigned [assigned] to).

In your question you typed "pass my email on".  With all due respect, I do not have your e-mail address, nor do I have any contact information of anyone to pass your e-mail address on to, IF I had your e-mail address.  AllExperts only provided me with the question & I reply with the answer, NEVER a direct contact between the questioner & me.
       In your question you typed "Love looking at your web page answers."  You are welcome, it is my pleasure to provide FACTS for those asking questions.
       May I ask a favor of you?  Would you be so kind as to provided me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good luck with your quest.

Please visit my blog at WW2Connections.net

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell