Military History/61st Coast Artillery Regiment (AA) & 92nd AAA Group

Question
Mr. Horrell,
My grandfather served in the US Army in the 61st and then reassigned to the 92nd at Honiton, Devon, England on 8/10/43. He arrived in Normandy on 7/4/44 and then left for NY after V-E in June '45. Can you fill in the blanks on what the 92nd AAA Group did in France and the Rhineland? I have his full military record that is full of dates and places but no mention of much else, especially after he arrived in Normandy. He was a Supply NCO (battery Supply Sgt - 821) for the 92nd AAA Group with the letters "Hq Btry" in front of 92nd.  Thanks for any help on this.

Ken

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "My grandfather served in the US Army in the 61st and then reassigned to the 92nd at Honiton, Devon, England on 8/10/43."  The 92nd Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AAA) Group was activated at Honiton, Devon, England on August 10, 1943 from assets (personnel, weapons, vehicles, equipment, etc.) of HQ & HQ Battery, 61st Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft).  With a complement of 71 Officers & Enlisted Men, the 92nd AAA Group participated in the following Campaigns:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

In your question you typed "Can you fill in the blanks on what the 92nd AAA Group did in France and the Rhineland?"  The 92nd AAA Group was a higher HQ to AAA Automatic Weapons Battalions and/or AAA Gun Battalions that were assigned or attached to the 92nd.  Therefore, the 92nd was an Administrative Layer between the Army or Corps the 92nd was assigned or attached to, & the AAA Automatic Weapons Battalions and/or AAA Gun Battalions assigned or attached to the 92nd.
       In your question you typed "92nd AAA Group with the letters "Hq Btry" in front of the 92nd."  Your grandfather was assigned (assigned) to HQ Battery, 92nd AAA Group.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell