Military History/820th MP Co. WW 2 European Theater of Operation

Hi!  I have copies of my father's discharge papers from WW2.  I am really interested in knowing what day my father's company landed on the Normandy beaches.  The only story he told us was of landing and the boys were drowning with the heavy equipment on.  He said that he was telling them to throw off their equipment.  He was a West Virginia state Senator at his time of enlistment, so he was older and the boys looked up to him.  He said they were so scared.  He was a humble man.  A lawyer.  Probably could have gone in as an officer but just enlisted and served as a PFC.  I would love to know the dates and progression of his company.  My husband and three boys are big fans of "Band of Brothers" and they could really relate to what my dad did.  Two of our sons graduated from the US Naval Academy and are Submarine officers.  They would really be interested because of their military background. Can you help me track where this company went?
Thank you,
Nancy Kincaid

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I have copies of my father's discharge papers from WW2."  EXCELLENT!!!
       In your question you typed "I am really interested in knowing what day my father's company landed on the Normandy beaches."  This is a difficult answer to obtain, since prior to November 9, 1944, the 820th MP Company was Company C, 511th MP Battalion.  Would you be so kind as to photocopy your father's four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS?  Please include your e-mail address for my ease of response.  It will be my pleasure to provide you will all the FACTS I glean from the documents.  
       In your question you typed "Can you help me track where this company went?"  Yes.  I suggest you obtain a copy of:

XII Corps:  Spearhead of Patton's Third Army
by Lt. Colonel George Dyer
Baton Rouge, Louisiana          Army Navy Publishing Company        1947

Company C, 511th MP Battalion /// 820th MP Company was attached [attached] to XII Corps in 1943 while still training in the USA, through V-E Day.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.