Military History/Father's WW 2 Service

Question
Mr. Horrell,
My father's discharge papers list him in 794th MP BN, Company B.  As per a previous answer I understand this may not have been the unit he was attached to when he shipped overseas.I have been informed records for certain dates were destroyed in a fire.  I do know he was busted to private for going AWOL when I was born and he was scheduled to be shipped out. He told me this. I have googled the names on the backs of pictures. Never any connection.  
No. 33 on his discharge papers list Central Europe, Rhineland, GQ 33 WD 45 as amended. That is all I have.
Found letter addressed to him in May of 1941: Cpl. Harold Price, Jr, Bat. B. 2 C.A. Trg BN, Fort Eustis, VA.
He may have been busted to private, but was later was employed by the government and at his death in 1974 was listed with rank of Colonel.
I wish I had not been so young and uninterested, but he really did not want to talk about his service during WWII.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you for your time and efforts.
Martha Davidson

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style!
       In your question you typed "My father's discharge papers list him in 794th MP BN".  If that is the unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) that is the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to when he returned to the USA after his service in the E.T.O.
       In your question you typed "this may not have been the unit he was attached to when he shipped overseas."  True, but assigned [assigned], not "attached".
       In your question you typed "I have been informed records for certain dates were destroyed in a fire."  Yes, personnel records were destroyed in a July 1973 fire at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132.  HOWEVER, the unit records are completely intact, so if someone knows the unit (s) their loved one was assigned [assigned] to during WW 2, they may obtain the unit records to research for FACTS about their loved one's role in WW 2.
       In your question you typed "No. 33 on his discharge papers list Central Europe, Rhineland, GQ 33 WD 45 as amended."  Actually, GO (General Order) not "GQ".  Your father participated in the following Campaigns:  

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

The 794th MP Battalion participated in the following Campaigns:

Naples-Foggia          September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno          January 22-September 9, 1944
Southern France        August 15-September 14, 1944

& was located at Lyon, France in December 1945.

Since the Campaigns your father participated in & the Campaigns the 794th MP Battalion participated in are so different, I would typed the odds are the 794th was NOT the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.
       In your question you typed "Found letter addressed to him in May of 1941: Cpl. Harold Price, Jr, Bat. B. 2 C.A. Trg BN, Fort Eustis, VA."  Fort Eustis was an Anti-Aircraft Artillery Replacement Training Center.
       In your question you typed "He may have been busted to private, but was later employed by the government and at his death in 1974 was listed with rank of Colonel."  If your father "was listed with rank of Colonel" "at his death in 1974" then he definitely "was employed by the government" as a member of the US Military.
       You are welcome to photocopy the four pages of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then send the photocopies to me at the address at the end of this reply.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of my reply.  It would be my pleasure to provide you with all the FACTS I glean from your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell