Military History/Identifying shoulder patches, tabs, and insignia fromWW2

Question
Grandfather
Grandfather  

Grandfather
Grandfather  
My grandfather will not talk about WW2. I'm trying to find out about his service. I might be able to get more information if I could identify his patches, tabs and insignia. Thanks for any help

Answer
Hi, from the 1st picture, I can tell you that the patch on the left shoulder is a Constabulary (occupation, post war) with a 78th Infantry Division patch on right, which would have been his Infantry Division during WWII> The 2nd picture tells me he was in the Adjutant Generals by the shield shaped pins on his overseas cap and uniform. The 78th was involved in battles such at the Battle of the Bulge and also liberated several concentration camps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Military History

Michael O'Reagan