Military History/Obscure unit

Question
My great grandfather was in WW2 and according to his Honorable Discharge paperwork was assigned to the 580th AAA (AW) BN "C" Battery. The unit was disbanded at the end of the war. The soldiers (like my great-grandfather)who did not have enough points to return stateside with his unit stated behind; and were put in other units. The combat patch on his uniform is 4th Armor Div, but his unit patch is the First Infantry Division.
How can I find out what unit he was in during his time in occupied Germany? I know he was stationed around Regensburg, Germany. I cannot find what unit he was in there.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "his Honorable Discharge paperwork was assigned to the 580th AAA (AW) BN".  If that is what is typed in Box #6 on page two of your great-grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) then that is the unit your great-grandfather was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army.  It is not necessarily the unit he was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.
       In your question you typed "The unit was disbanded at the end of the war."  Yes, at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, December 1, 1945.
       In your question you typed "The combat patch on his uniform is 4th Armor Div".  Would you be so kind as to provide me with your definition of what a "combat patch" is?  Also, the location of a "combat patch" on a "uniform"?
       In your question you typed "his unit patch is the First Infantry Division."  Would you be so kind as to provide me with your definition of what a "unit patch" is?  Also, the location of a "unit patch" on a "uniform"?
       In your question you typed "How can I find out what unit he was in during his time in occupied Germany?"  First of all, what Primary Source Documents do you possess that indicate the unit your great-grandfather was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945?  Once you determine the unit your great-grandfather was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945, then obtain said unit records.  Within those unit records would be notification of your great-grandfather's re-assignment to the "unit he was in during his time in occupied Germany".
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your great-grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell