Military History/Uncle's transport to Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,
I am attempting to compile a scrapbook on my (late) Uncle Bennie who served in the Pacific. His diary states that he left San Francisco Feb. 17, 1945 and anchored at Finschhaven, New Guinea March 7 and then Hollandia March 10.

The ship then arrived in Leyte March 16 and left on March 21, arriving in Manila approximately March 23.

Do you know what ship or which convoy he might have been on? Thank-you very much for any information you might have regarding his service.
Sincerely, Christa Fluri

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style!
       With all due respect to you & your efforts, I do have a correction for you.  "Finschhaven" is spelled with a f, not a "v".  An easy error to make, but the correct spelling may aid you with further research.
       For the portion of the voyage departing the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on February 17, 1945 & arriving at Leyte, Philippine Islands March 16, 1945, the troop ship was the USS General H.W. Butner  AP-113.  From Leyte to Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands, I do not know, but I am sure it was NOT the USS General H.W. Butner  AP-113.  In my OPINION, the vessel may have been a L.S.T. (Landing Ship, Tank, or as Yogi Berra referred to his L.S.T. as, "a LARGE, SLOW target).  L.S.T.s were sometimes utilized as shuttles in this context, transporting personnel, weapons, vehicles, supplies, etc. quite easily.
       Would you be so kind at to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of "Uncle Bennie" Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Please visit my blog at WW2Connections.net

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell