Military History/FOOD WWII

Question
MY DAD WAS IN A AAA UNIT, HE WAS IN N AFRICA, SICILY, SALERNO AND ANZIO.
MY QUESTION IS WHEN WOULD HE OF HAD ACCESS TO A FIELD KITCHEN AS OPPOSED TO C OR K RATIONS. WHICH WAS MORE PREVELANT C OR K
I KNOW THERE WOULD NOT OF BEEN A FIELD KITCHEN AT ANZIO
PROBABLE NOT ACCESS WHEN ENGAGING THE ENEMY PLANES WHICH SEEMED TO BE CONSTANT (ACCORDING TO THE UNITS JOURNAL)
THANKS

Answer
Hi Richard,

So when in combat or rapidly moving they would C or K-Rations. The K is for "Kommando" and used airborne troops, tank corps, motorcycle couriers, and other mobile forces. That could include AAA which Quad 50 mounted in 1/2 track.  They 3,200 calorie. They were not be used for no more than 3 days.
The C Ration was 3800 calorie general survival ration and was not recommended for more than 5 days.
Sometimes it went longer if combat was intense. Which one you got sometimes depended on what was on hand at times.
These were also D rations that were basically very hard dense chocolate.

In north Africa,  10 to ! rations were commonly used.
http://olive-drab.com/od_rations_group_10in1.php
These were a little better than K or C  Rations. It box contained a meal for 10 men. These required a little cooking, they where very simple to prepare. If they were beyond their field kitchens, and prior to actual commitment to battle. These could be used 3 to 21 days.

B Ration was hot food prepared in field kitchens using things that did not require refrigeration or freezing. This was the most common food. Getting a hot meal improves moral and healthier for the troops.

There was also A rations which were fresh food during garrison duty.

In the case your dad it depend on where AAA gun was deployed.
If it was behind the lines then you could protecting head quarters or supply depot then its likely they had a field kitchen. If they were close to the lines then the !0 to 1 would be the most common.
During a landing like Anzio C or K ration with D rations would issued.  

Military History

Paul Edward Zukowski