Military History/I Found a MKII Pineapple Grenade in Italy

MKII pineapple grenade
MKII pineapple grenade  
Hello Keith, So about two years ago my wife and I took a trip across Italy, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. While we were in Italy we went kayaking down the Brenta river. We stopped off somewhere along the river for a bathroom break which is when I found what I believe was a MKII pineapple grenade. I left it there as I didn't think I'd be able to bring it home with me. I did some research when I got home and found that the Americans had been through that area in WWII and was able to identify what I found. It recently started thinking about the find and my curiosity got the best of me. I"m really interested in finding out how much what I found was worth? I'm also interested in any other info you might have about this grenade, location, etc. Thanks in advance! - Phil Schwandt

This was marked as answered but it probably went out on the open question page.

It looks like you have a No. 36 Mk I Mills Bomb used by the British and Poles in WWII and in Italy.

The US Pineapple grenade has a fluted "neck" and when the igniter is screwed off, there is just a threaded hole.

The silver projection on top of this is where the igniter neck sticks up on the Mills bomb.

Value is about $50 based on some for sale on the Gun Broker.

It could have been a dud since the safety arm and pin are missing and it did not explode.

It is pretty likely there was still a live explosive charge inside, but the igniter was bad.

The Poles in the 2nd Polish corps and the 2nd Canadian Corps were operating on the Adriatic side of the peninsula when the Gothic line was breached. The moved into Ravenna and I believe Bologna. The Americans were on the west side. Since the Brits equipped the Poles and the Canadians, it is in keeping with it being a Mills bomb.

When living on Okinawa in the 1960's it was common to come across grenades that could be disarmed by unscrewing the igniter.  One of my neighbors found some Japanese chemical grenades, that were glass spheres filled with chemicals that would vaporize to form gas when broken.  

Military History

Keith H. Patton

I can answer questions pertaining to weapons and tactics, personalities, battles, and strategies in european and U.S. history.

I was a history major, and had done extensive research in the subject area. I have designed and tested numerous computer games for various
historical periods.

B.A History M.S. Science
I have had the opportunity to live abroad and walk numerous battlefields both in the United States, Europe, and the Pacific.