Military History/Joseph Francis Laws (Senior)

Question
QUESTION: My father was a part of the 648th Engineering Battalion In WWII.  He deployed overseas in the fall of 1944.  I have records of his stay in Australia but we understand he was also in New Guinea.  This period is a blank.  Any help will be appreciated.

Joseph F. Laws Jr.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father was a part of the 648th Engineering Battalion during WWII."  Would you be so kind as to indicate to me the Primary Source Documents you possess that indicate your father was assigned [assigned] to the 648th Engineer Base Topographic Battalion prior to September 2, 1945?
       In your question you typed "He deployed overseas in the fall of 1944."  Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "we understand he was also in New Guinea."  Would you be so kind as to indicate to me the Primary Source Documents you possess that indicate your father "was also in New Guinea"?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

I do not have any of the hard documentation you requested.   I have his serial number: 39339430.  We also had pictures dated October and November 1944 in Melbourne.  A Thanksgiving and Christmas card issued by the 648th Engineer TOP. BN from 1944.  Then a card from the Philippines.  Best wishes Merry Christmas(1945)? hoping he would be home before card reached us. The book Of Maps and men: battalion history 648th Engineers 1941-1945 I have tried to order through our local library in Lake Oswego OR.  Order placed 6/14/16.  This book was referenced by you in an earlier post to another inquirer.
Thank you again for your help.  Joseph F. Laws Jr. (Joe)

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I do not have any of the hard documentation you requested."  That is very unfortunate.  With all due respect, it is very difficult to begin ACCURATE historic research without facts.
       In your follow-up you typed "We also had (had ?) pictures dated October and November 1944 in Melbourne."  The 648th Engineer Base Topographic Battalion departed Australia late March 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "Then a card from the [sic] Philippines.  Best wishes Merry Christmas(1945)? hoping he would be home before card reached us."  The 648th Engineer Base Topographic Battalion was de-activated in The Philippines, November 10, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell