Military History/Units on Queen Elizabeth August 1945

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell

My father returned to the U.S. on the Queen Elizabeth arriving in New York Harbor 31 August 1945. Do you have any information as what major units may have been on that voyage?

Thank you very much for your time.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style!
       In your question you typed "My father returned to the U.S. on the Queen Elizabeth arriving in New York Harbor 31 August 1945."

Departure Date:   August 26, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Troop Ship:   R.M.S. Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   August 31, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

In your question you typed "Do you have any information as to what major units may have been on that voyage?"  Sorry, I do not.  However, the actor James Stewart (It's a Wonderful Life, The Glenn Miller Story, Rear Window, Vertigo) a Colonel in the US AAF at the time, was onboard.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE FACTS typed in Box #6 & Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Dads shiping orders 31 Aug 1945
Dads shiping orders 31  

Dads Final Pay
Dads Final Pay  
QUESTION: Thank you so much for you effort and quick response. Unfortunately, my father's records were destroyed in the St Louis fire. I have only two document pertaining to his service. One is a final pay statement from Fort Dix New Jersey that reflects partial payments in May and June, and the other is a shipment roster identified "10939B". The latter document is labeled "Personnel Roster" with a "Unit Designation" of "8th Inf. Div. Repl. Det.", "For Reception Station No. 2. Fort Dix. N. J". the page is further stamped "464".

My father certainly seems have been in the 28th ID though i have no supporting evidence so I am trying to establish his combat service.

Sir. Thank you again for your time.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "my father's records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire."  Yes, that is why my request of you was for FACTS as per your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  When your father was discharged from the US Army, he was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Where are those 6-10 copies?
       One copy (four pages) may be with his papers for when he passed away (sorry to be morbid).  This copy, in the hands of the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements, would be provided to the V.A. (Veteran's Administration) so that the V.A. could help offset the cost of your father's Funeral & interment.  You may wish to contact the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements.
       Veterans were encouraged to register a copy of their Discharge Documents at the Court House of the County that the Veteran would reside in after WW 2.  I suggest that you contact the Court House of the County that your father resided in after WW 2, to learn IF your father registered a copy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) or not.  Discharge Documents are in the Public Domain so anyone may obtain an individual's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Most Court Houses charge a fee of 35 cents per photocopy.  A $1.40 WELL spent.
       In your follow-up you typed "My father certainly seems have been in the 28th ID though i have no supporting evidence".  I am familiar with the 28th Infantry Division, Pennsylvania National Guard.  While you may "have no supporting evidence" something must have led you to the idea that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 28th Infantry Division.  With all due respect, what may that be?
       My e-mail address is        WW2Connections@aol.com        I encourage you to contact me, so that I may assist you further with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell