Military History/894th Ordnance (HAM) Company WW 2

Question
Gayle & Rose
Gayle & Rose  
Gayle W Huston
Gayle W Huston  
QUESTION: Hello,
I have been searching my father, Gayle W Huston (ASN 38-084-142), WWII service for the past two years and have drawn a blank. He passed away in 1975 without talking about his WWII service and most of his records were destroyed in the fire at the NPRC. Here is what I know 1942-43, after his basic training at FT SILL OK and initial assignment with 8TH CORPS in Texas he deployed to the ETO North Africa in Aug-Sep 1943:
1. He was with the 2nd FA Observation BN, 18TH FA BDE, 5TH ARMY, through North Africa, Italy, invasion southern France, and into Germany. (I think supporting the 45th INF DIV or 6TH CORPS???).
2. At some point he earned a CIB while serving 5TH ARMY or when attached and possibly fought with the 44th INF DIV. He wore the 5TH ARMY patch for the majority of WWII but wore the 44TH INF DIV patch for a short time until a reassignment to the 894th ORD CO, 7TH ARMY after VE-Day.
3. He returned in Nov 1945 having served with the 894th ORD (HAM) CO. as part of the Company L (894TH), 193rd ORD BN. But don't know where it was based from VE-day to Nov 1945?  That would mean he should receive the ARMY OCCUPATION MEDAL.
4. When he returned to the US and out-processed at FT Leavenworth Kansas enroute to Nebraska. He was told he could stay a couple days to update his military service records or for the convenience of the government, he could just sign out and leave (which he did).
5. I know he suffered a head wound during WWII and sometime in the 1950's was treated at the Oakland California VA Hospital for head aches. But I cannot find any medical records to verify how or when he was injured. I do remember visiting him in the VA Hospital and my mother indicated his head was bandaged when they met in Lyon France.

I am trying to resurrect his military record for the awards he did not receive and would like to honor his service. I have his "IKE Jacket" which is what I have been using for research.
A. I believe he should be awarded the ARMY OCCUPATION MEDAL for service May 1945 through November 1945.
B. I believe his should be awarded the BRONZE STAR MEDAL having earned and received a CIB while serving 5TH ARMY and 7TH ARMY.
C. Not sure about the PURPLE HEART since I cannot find medical records of his head injury. Only stories from my mother having met and married him in October 1945 in Lyon, France.

So, if you could help me locate any information about the 894TH ORD (HAM) CONPANY as Company L 193rd ORD BN after VE-Day until the 894TH returned in November 1945. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks for your service.

John D Huston LTC,USA, RET

1804 E. Gum Ave., Woodland, CA  95776-9390

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "most of his records were destroyed in the fire at the NPRC."  But not your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Your father was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) when he was "out-processed at FT Leavenworth Kansas".  Where are the 6-10 copies of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO form 53-55)?  All the FACTS within the documents would be invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.
       In your question you typed "having served with the 894th ORD (HAM) CO. as part of the Company L (894th), 193rd ORD BN."  In November 1945, the 894th Ordnance Heavy Automotive Maintenance Company was not "part of" Company L, 193rd Ordnance Battalion.  Would you be so kind as to indicate the Primary Source Document you possess indicating what you have typed?
       In your question you typed "I am trying to resurrect his military records".  May I ask, with all due respect, for whom?
       In your question you typed "I have his IKE Jacket which is what I have been using for research."  Please let me be sure I am understanding you correctly.  With all due respect, you are utilizing a garment to conduct "research"?  What about your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) for "research"?  Have you not utilized those Primary Source Documents available to you?
       In your question you typed "I believe he should be awarded the BRONZE STAR MEDAL having earned and received a CIB while serving 5th Army and 7th ARMY."  I acknowledge what you "believe".  However, what Primary Source Documents do you possess indicating that your father "earned and received a" Combat Infantryman Badge while serving in Fifth Army &/or Seventh Army?  The Department of Defense will require of you Primary Source Documents indicating your father "earned and received" a Combat Infantryman Badge.
       In your question you typed "could you help me locate any information about the 894th ORD (HAM) CONPANY [sic]".  The unit records (FACTS) are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Appreciate the quick response.
The purpose for my research is personal, call it ROOTS. My son has asked about my military service 1972-93 and my father's WWII service. I have grand daughters who may want to know family history. One does not think about family values until one reflects on family history. I want to create a Shadow Box like mine for my dad's service and there may be medals he earned and did not receive. Some medals such as the Bronze Star Medal was not approved until after the WWII by Public Law 80-134 May 15 1947 for any soldier awarded the CIB during WWII and the Army Occupation Medal for those who remained in the ETO after VE-Day as amended by EX Order 10444 10 Apr 1953.  If he or his unit members were alive or known, that would help me a great deal.
Regarding my fathers discharge documents. My mother passed away in 2007 and found my father's Ike Jacket, 44th INF DIV patch in a box with wedding photos, but no documentation or Discharge documents. Four years ago I submitted a request to the NRPC for his records and was notified there were none due to the fire. I began using his Ike Jacket for reference to search his unit crest. Could not locate any information. Found a copy of the 18th FA BDE yearbook on ebay which reflected the crest.  I submitted a picture of the crest to a historian in Germany and received the heraldry information for the 2nd FA OBV BN constituted as part of the 18th FA BDE with WWII campaigns. Two years ago I again submitted a request for records to the NRPC and was provided a copy on his discharge document which stated he was discharged having served with the 894th ORD H.A.M. CO. Searching the internet for this unit information I found the 193rd Support Battalion historical posting which indicated the 894th ORD HAM CO reorganized from Company L 193rd SPT BN but cannot locate information on ADSEC locations in ETO post VE-Day. Also on the internet, I found a listing that the 894th ORD CO returned as a unit from the ETO in Nov 1945. I have tried to search many websites including the US Army Heritage Center at Carlisle Barracks and cannot locate unit information for the 2nd FA OBV BN or the 894th ORD HAM COMPANY, which is why I hoped submitting a question to your website could provide information.
Family from Nebraska sent old pictures of my dad in uniform reflecting the 8th CORPS Patch, 5th ARMY Patch, and 7th ARMY Patch. But I have no picture of him with the 44th INF DIV Patch or the CIB. Only his IKE Jacket with CIB. During WWII soldiers were reassigned or attached to other unit as the situation dictated which may be when he was assigned to the 44th DIV. So, this is where I am in my research today, still searching to record my Dad's WWII service.
Thank you for your effort.
John D Huston
LTC,USA,RET

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "was provided a copy on his discharge document".  Please indicate to me what FACTS are typed in Box #32 &/or Box #33 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) indicating he was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge prior to May 8, 1945.  Also, please provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).
       In your follow-up you typed "submitting a question to your website".  AllExperts is not my website.  I am only one person, like scores of others, that volunteer our time to try to assist those like you that desire FACTS about specific topics.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: There is no page 2. only page 1

Box 32: GO 33 WD 45, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, Central Europe.
Box 33: Good Conduct Medal
Box 36: 21 Aug 43   EAMET   2 Sep 43
       19 Nov 45   USA     27 Nov 45

Please note that although the CIB is not listed in box 33, does not allow for mistakes or possible award after the fact, which is why I am researching personnel and/or unit records for information why he has a CIB on his uniform. My dad was very honest and not one to condone stolen valor. He was trained as an FA Forward Observer and could have been attached to an Infantry company in the 45th or 44th DIVISIONS which were involved in direct enemy contact. As a result, he may have been recognized at that time for award of the CIB which was only designated to be awarded to Infantry soldiers. It was not until after WWII that soldiers in non-Infantry specialties who fought in direct contact were awarded and authorized to wear the CIB. And thus by Public Law 80-134 would also be awarded the Bronze Star.

I appreciate your volunteer efforts and am just hoping to find any information which will identify the locations of these units after VE-DAY. The internet is great but limited and some websites are difficult to extract information. Just a note, had I the desire for my Dad's military history in 1991-92 while in Grad school at Carlisle Barracks I would have researched records at that time.
John D Huston

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "There is no page 2. only page 1".  The FACTS you provided me are from page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Apparently you were not provided pages one, three & four of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  That is ashamed, since pages three & four are filled with so, so many FACTS as per your father's role in WW 2.
       In your follow-up you typed "Box 36: 21 Aug 43  EAMET  2 Sep 43".  On August 21, 1943 from either the New York Port of Embarkation or the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, 17 troop ships departed.  Via the Straits of Gibraltar, the troop ships arrived at Oran, Algeria, North Africa, September 2, 1943.  Sorry, I do not know which one of the 17 troop ships the 2nd Field Artillery Observation Battalion was onboard.
       In your follow-up you typed "19 Nov 45  USA  27 Nov 45".  

Departure Date:   November 19, 1945
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   USS Monticello  AP-61
Arrival Date:   November 27, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    MAGIC CARPET voyage

In your follow-up you typed "The internet is great".  For information, I tend to agree.  But for FACTS, I prefer published sources, which have editors to check for factual content.  The internet has no editors, to check for factual content.

Richard V. Horrell
     WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell