Military History/Discharge Document questions

Question
Discharge
Discharge  
Hello,
I would like to know what "Q,C" indicates in Box 4: arm or service. Also, any information you may have regarding my grandfather's unit involvement during WWII, 407th Quartermaster Company during his time in the European theater. He never spoke to us about his experiences and my mom and aunt state that his stories were so depressing that didn't want to hear his experiences.

Thank you for you time and effort,
David

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I would like to know what "Q,C" indicates in Box 4".  Whoever prepared the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) made at least three errors that I found.  First, the acronym should be QMC, for Quartermaster Corps.  Note the "M" is next to the "," on the keyboard.
       The next error is in Box #36, the acronym RAME.  The correct acronym is EAME (European, African, Middle Eastern) Theater of Operation.  Note the "R" is next to the "E" on the keyboard.
       The last error I found is in Box #32, Rhineland.  The Rhineland Campaign was September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945.  How could the Veteran have participated in the Rhineland Campaign when he did not arrive at Gourock, Scotland until March 24, 1945?
       In your question you requested any information about the "407th Quartermaster Company".  I am only familiar with the 407th Airborne Quartermaster Company, an Organic Element of the 82nd Airborne Division during WW 2.
       The only other FACTS I have for you is about the voyage overseas of the Veteran:

Departure Date:   March 17, 1945
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:  March 22, 1945
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    11,091 Troops onboard

The RMS Queen Mary arrived March 22, 1945, but the Veteran did not set foot upon Scottish soil until March 24, 1945.  It took time to unload over 11,000 men & the items they carried.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell