Military History/Identify old military hat

Military hat front view
Military hat front vie  

Old military hat back view
Old military hat back  
I found a military hat in an old trunk. My dad was in the Navy WWII (Pacific) and was a prisoner of war for 3 years, walked the Bataan Death March, etc. I don't know whom the hat belongs to and would love some help identifying it.  
Thank you,

I'm not an expert on uniforms, but the hat looks like it has some kind of flying insignia. I checked the Army Air Corps and the Navy, and the RAF, but none look like this. You might want to try an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms and insignia.  

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America