Military History/Ordnance Information of father-in-laws unit

Question
My father-in-law served during WWII.  His records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire.  I do know his unit, and that he served in France, Belgium, and Germany.  I believe his Unit was 855th Heavy Automotive Ordnance Corp.  I also believe he landed on Omaha beach on or shortly after June 7th, 1944.

Thank you for any help.  I am a former SP5 1966-1969.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "His records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire."  Yes, the infamous fire (July 1973) at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri, 63132.  However, the unit records of the unit your father-in-law was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945 were not destroyed, since the unit records were in an entirely different location in another region of the USA.
       In your question you typed "I do know his unit, and that he served in France, Belgium, and Germany."  EXCELLENT!  Would you be so kind as to share with me the unit your father-in-law was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945?  Also, the Primary Source Document that you obtained this FACT from?
       In your question you typed "I believe his Unit was 855th Heavy Automotive Ordnance Corps."  Respectfully, in your previous sentence you typed "I do know his unit".  In this sentence you type "I believe his Unit was".  That leads me to believe you have some doubt as to whether or not your father-in-law was assigned [assigned] to the 855th Ordnance Heavy Automotive Maintenance Company prior to May 8, 1945.  Prior to beginning ACCURATE historic research for FACTS, I would respectfully request from you the unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Also, ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).
       In your question you typed "I also believe he landed on Omaha beach on or shortly after June 7th, 1944."  To confirm what you have typed, I respectfully request ALL THE FACTS typed in Box #33 on page two of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).
       Good Luck with your quest.  I will eagerly await your response via AllExperts.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell