Military History/shell casing

Question
case bottom
case bottom  

shell case
shell case  
my family has had this casing for many yrs could you help me id it?
It said arronne on the casing

Answer
Rick:

More than likely it says "Argonne" as in Meuse Argonne Offensive.

The Meuse Argonne was the American Offensive that ended the war. It lasted 47 days and involved 1.2 million American soldiers.

It cost the Germans some 28,000 men and the Americans lost 26,277. That is an average loss per day of 559 men. Compare that to the 300-400 men lost per week in the Tet Offensive of Vietnam, and the current casualty rates in our current wars that seem to have everyone wetting their pants. Also consider that in 1918 our population was 103 million vs 330 million today. It makes a case for us becoming a nation of wimps.

In WWII we were losing an average of 2261 KIAs a WEEK for 180 weeks of the war. Actually it was worse than that, since for the first year and a half of the four years of the war, we were not doing much fighting. Then you have days like D-Day, where we lost over 3000 in a single day.

But I digress.

The casing is from a 75mm Field gun, which was used by the US since we went into WWI without any modern artillery. We had to beg artillery, aircraft and tanks from the French. We did make ammunition at home and shipped it overseas.

These cases were around in their millions, and a cottage industry sprang up turning them into souvenirs. They are collectively called "WWI Trench Art" which is really BS since they were in the main, made after the war in little shops for sale to soldiers as momentos, especially Yanks, as in your case. It was made to commemorate the US victory that brought the Kaiser to the treaty table and force them to accept the Armistice.

Now if you look on the bottom of the case you will see a bunch of stampings.

It might say   75 DE C for Canone 75mm De Campagne or 75mm Field Gun

There will probably be a date, indicating when it was made.  There will be some initials MA A or something like that followed by a L and a number.

They indicate the factory, the L -Number is the Lot Number of the ammunition.  Other odd initials are the inspector's marks.  

It might have a center primer ring, with letters stamped in it and they just record the manufacture information of the primer.  

Military History

Keith H. Patton