Military History/Unit Records

Question
Dear sir, I am trying to reconstruct my grandfather's military service in ww2 , his separation papers have been lost and the archives state that his papers were destroyed in the fire of 1973, I have some information based on letters he received while over seas, and one unit in particular is Btry B, 121st FA Bn, APO 32 . how do I get these unit records if they exist my grandfather arrived in the Philippines sometime in August of 1945 I'm guessing based on a certificate he received from infantry replacement training center camp hood Texas the date is July 14 1945. I'm wondering if records of this unit would tell me when he arrived and was appointed to this unit?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "his separation papers have been lost".  I am very sad to read what you typed, since your grandfather was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  He was provided with 6-10 copies so that all 6-10 copies could not be lost, as in the circumstance you typed of.
       In your question you typed "Btry B, 121st FA Bn".  I am familiar with the 121st Field Artillery Battalion, Wisconsin National Guard, an Organic Element of the 32nd Infantry Division.
       In your question you typed "APO 32".  APO 32, assigned to the 32nd Infantry Division, was located at Anabat, Luzon, Philippine Islands, July 2-August 30, 1945.
       In your question you typed "how [sic] do I get these unit records if they exist".  The unit records "exist".  The location of the unit records is:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "my grandfather arrived in the [sic] Philippines sometime in August of 1945".  Yes, in preparation for Operation OLYMPIC-CORONET.
       In your question you typed "I'm guessing based upon a certificate he received from infantry replacement training center camp hood Texas the date is July 14, 1945."  I am very sad to read that you are guessing, since you seem to be desirous of conducting ACCURATE historic research.  I am familiar with the Infantry & Tank Destroyer Replacement Training Center, located at Camp Hood (Temple) Texas.  My question is, IF your grandfather attended the "infantry replacement training center" why was he assigned [assigned] to the 121st Field Artillery Battalion ,Wisconsin National Guard, a field artillery unit?  An Infantry Replacement assigned [assigned] to a field artillery unit?   
       In your question you typed "I'm wondering if records of this unit would tell me when he arrived and was appointed to the unit?"  Yes, unit records of the 121st Field Artillery Battalion ,Wisconsin National Guard, would indicate when your grandfather arrived in The Philippines, as well as when he was assigned [assigned] to the 121st Field Artillery Battalion ,Wisconsin National Guard.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell