Military History/45th Infantry Division and the 106th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion

Question
Hi

Could you tell me of the relationship between these two? The 45th infantry and the 106th AAA

I know they were in Sicily, Salerno and Anzio together. Was the 106th attached to the 45th?

I know the 106th provided AA protection for command posts, field artillery and supply dumps etc. Did the 45th also protect these places?

I also know the 1st infantry and the 3rd was in some of these same locations but the 45th and the 106th seem to be closer?

Thank you

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "The 45th infantry and the 106th AAA".  I assume (something that I am loathed to do) that you are referring to the 45th Infantry Division (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico & Oklahoma National Guard) and the 106th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion (Kentucky National Guard).
       In your question you typed "Could you tell me of the relationship between the two?"  A "relationship"?  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm  Well, um, both units served in the M.T.O. & the E.T.O.  I do not know if that qualifies as a "relationship" but I suppose they could have held hands.
       In your question you typed "Was the 106th attached to the 45th?"  While in the E.T.O., the 106th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion (Kentucky National Guard) was attached [attached] to the 45th Infantry Division (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico & Oklahoma National Guard) during the following periods of time:

August 15-November 10, 1944

November 23, 1944-March 15, 1945

March 20-25, 1945

April 11-May 10, 1945

In your question you typed "I know the 106th provided AA protection for command posts, field artillery and supply dumps etc."  Would you be so kind as to indicate the Primary Source Documents you possess to corroborate what you have typed?
       In your question you typed "Did the 45th also protect these places?"  The 45th Infantry Division (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico & Oklahoma National Guard) did protect THEIR OWN "command posts", THEIR OWN "field artillery" but no "supply dumps".  As INFANTRY, the purpose of the 45th Infantry Division (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico & Oklahoma National Guard) was to liberate enemy occupied territory, capture enemy territory & destroy enemy forces.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell