Military History/633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion

Question
i am researching for a friend, whose father served at least in 1945 in the above. what i am trying to find out was the 633d AAA AW BN in existence before being attached to the 80th infantry divison in august of 1944. the discharge papers i have list his campaigns as tunisia, sicily,naples-foggia,rome-arno, southern france, rhineland and central europe.could these all be with the 633d AAA AA Bn or possibly he was with some other outfit and was assigned to the the 633d either in late 1944 or 1945. i cannot find the 633d listed in other divisions prior to august of 1944. thank you.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "whose father served at least in 1945 in the above."  Would you be so kind as to indicate the Primary Source Document you possess that indicates the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed "was the 633d AAA AW BN in existence before being attached to the 80th infantry division [sic] in august [sic] of 1944."  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was activated at Honiton, England, August 14, 1943.  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was attached [attached] to the 80th Infantry Division, August 9, 1944-May 13, 1945.
       In your question you typed "the discharge papers i have list his.......rhineland and central europe."  The Campaign Credits for the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion are as follows:

Normandy          June 6, 1944-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

It is clear from the Campaign Credits of the Veteran (as well as the order you typed them) that his time assigned [assigned] to the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was AFTER May 8, 1945, for the purpose of returning the Veteran to the USA.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Also, are there any other units listed on page three or page four of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Please visit my blog at WW2Connections.net

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell