Military History/633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion

Question
QUESTION: i am researching for a friend, whose father served at least in 1945 in the above. what i am trying to find out was the 633d AAA AW BN in existence before being attached to the 80th infantry divison in august of 1944. the discharge papers i have list his campaigns as tunisia, sicily,naples-foggia,rome-arno, southern france, rhineland and central europe.could these all be with the 633d AAA AA Bn or possibly he was with some other outfit and was assigned to the the 633d either in late 1944 or 1945. i cannot find the 633d listed in other divisions prior to august of 1944. thank you.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "whose father served at least in 1945 in the above."  Would you be so kind as to indicate the Primary Source Document you possess that indicates the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed "was the 633d AAA AW BN in existence before being attached to the 80th infantry division [sic] in august [sic] of 1944."  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was activated at Honiton, England, August 14, 1943.  The 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was attached [attached] to the 80th Infantry Division, August 9, 1944-May 13, 1945.
       In your question you typed "the discharge papers i have list his.......rhineland and central europe."  The Campaign Credits for the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion are as follows:

Normandy          June 6, 1944-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace   December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

It is clear from the Campaign Credits of the Veteran (as well as the order you typed them) that his time assigned [assigned] to the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion was AFTER May 8, 1945, for the purpose of returning the Veteran to the USA.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Also, are there any other units listed on page three or page four of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

QUESTION: first thank you for your quick response.box 36 lists
date of departure - 2 nov 1942 destination north africa date of arrival 18 nov 1942
date of departure - 27 sept 1945 destination usa date of arrival - 5 oct 1945
we do not have page 3 or 4 which i believe would be his separation qualification record. his mos is listed as range section operator aa 1645. i know box 6 was not always the actual unit he served the majority of time with and could have been transferred to that unit for discharge. his son believes he was with an anti aircraft battalion, as he had difficult hearing problems later in life. would his mos mean he was a range section operator possibly with another unit? i just get the feeling he may have moved to another unit as these anti aircraft units were moved from division to division as needed and not always permanetly assigned to any one division or corps. it is obvious he started in north africa to sicily and then to italy and southern france before going to the rhineland and central europe. i knew the man before he passed and thought there might be a 3rd infantry division connection as he told me he had meet audie murphy in north africa before he was famous but that can't be substantiated. i do a fair amount of research for people and this is why i hate doing men who served in the army, because the fire in 1973 destroyed the records. but thanks for any opinion you can give me. ed

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "date of departure-2 nov 1942.......of arrival 18 nov 1942"  Fourteen troop ships departed either the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation or the New York Port of Embarkation, arriving at Casablanca, Morocco November 18, 1942.  This was one of the follow-up convoys in support of Operation TORCH.  I do not know which troop ship the Veteran your are researching was onboard, only that my father, T/Sgt. Vernon A. Horrell was onboard the USAT Cristobal.
       In your follow-up you typed "date of departure-27 sept 1945.......of arrival-5 oct 1945".  

Departure Date:   September 27, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Troop Ship:   SS Costa Rica Victory
Arrival Date:   October 5, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    MAGIC CARPET voyage

In your follow-up you typed "i [sic] know box 6 was not.......to that unit for discharge."  True!  Box #6 provides one with a unit, sometimes the only unit available.  Follow the paper trail of that unit & the Veteran assigned [assigned] to said unit, & at some point in time the Veteran was transferred from a previous unit to the unit typed in Box #6.  The previous unit was the unit the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945 & you have the unit to begin ACCURATE historic research with.  
       In your follow-up you typed "he told me he had meet [sic] audie murphy [sic] in north africa [sic] before he was famous".

Departure Date:   February 8, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Hawaiian Shipper
Arrival Date:   February 19, 1943
Arrival Location:   Casablanca, Morocco
    Private Audie L. Murphy was onboard

In your follow-up you typed "i [sic] do a fair amount of research for people and this is why i [sic] hate doing men who served in the army, because the fire in 1973 destroyed the records."  Destroyed the Personnel Files, YES, destroyed the unit records, NO!  For me, those Veterans assigned [assigned] to the Army Ground Forces & the Army Service Forces of the US Army during WW 2 are THE EASIEST to research.  The Veteran was provided with 6-10 copies of a four page Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55) with a beginning date & location, an ending date & location, & a plethora of FACTS to fill in between.  For me, conducting this sort of research is the second greatest thrill I enjoy each day!
       In your follow-up you typed "but [sic] thanks for any opinion you can give me."  "opinions" sorry, I have none.  FACTS, I have plenty of, & am willing to share for all with an interest in WW 2.
       IF you choose to continue your "research" as per this particular Veteran, may I suggest you __?__?__?__ the 105th, 436th, 441st & 443rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalions.  FACTS about those particular units may aide you in obtaining what you are "trying to find out".
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell