Military History/Uniform post ww2

Irvine Scotland
Irvine Scotland  
QUESTION: Hi, I am looking for any help here. Attached is a picture of a serviceman I believe was stationed in the Irvine area of Scotland in 1948. I am looking for any hints on rank, squadron etc for my search. Any help would be greatly appreciated

ANSWER: Hi Richard,
The attachment photo only about 2 by 3 inches and I can not make out any detail. If can sent larger hi def pict to email I try to see if make any detail. The shape of cap looks RAF enlisted man. No rank on the arms, that I can see. His rank could be aircraftman. That a my best guess and I could be wrong. Sorry i can't be of more help.

QUESTION: Thanks. Unfortunately that is the only image I have. I am being told he was Canadian, but possibly American.
Basically, I think he may be my paternal Grandfather. My father was adopted and his biological mother was unable to get him back. We have recently found his family, although sadly his mother passed the same week as his adoptive mother. Any clue as to Nationality would help. The Irvine region of Scotland had many bases within a short radius at the time. I know only having a shortened name won't be particularly helpful, but if I can determine nationality, it's a start.
Thanks for your reply.

Hi again,
First I really do feel for you and wish could do more.

How did get 1948 as the year?
To me me short jacket doesn't look like wide collar USAF had after the separate branch of service in 1947.

Do you you actually have photo physically? If so a high end camera shop or photo lab may be able blow up the photo so you can see detail in it.

Another idea may be contact your local historical society and see match it up to known unit pictures.

North Ayrshire Heritage Centre
Manse Street
North Ayrshire
KA21 5AA

Tel: 01294 464174
- See more at:

Another place might able to match to something is Imperial War Museum.
IWM London
Lambeth Road
London SE1 6HZ
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7416 5000

RAF Museum
RAF Museum London, Grahame
Park Way, London, NW9 5LL  

You could also Try US Air Force Museum

Canadian is certainly possible.
The Canadian Air Force Museum

Military History

Paul Edward Zukowski

My interest is in the area US Military History. I have a special interest in US small arms. The Civil War, WWI and WWII are areas of special interest but I can handle questions on many areas of US military history.

I spent 2 years in Army ROTC and have been a military history buff most of my life. Does spending too much time watching the History Channel Count : )? Here is some general background information as a means of full disclosure. (it appears on all my profiles)
Life Experience
A general biography my fit more here so I offer the following. (it appears on on all my profiles) After all who we are affects our opinions or even inadvertently effect of statements of fact. I hold a AS from Eastern Conn. State Univ. and a BA from Trinity College, Hartford Ct. Plus 11 other professional certifications. I have received 31 awards for various activities. My writings published in ?The Other Voice? and other publications. I have had my original music published, licensed and recorded by David Kaye. I have been a guest on CyberRadio & TV and many other talk radio programs. I welcome interviews and I am willing to act as a technical advisor to various media. I am single and have resided in Hartford, Ct. since 1976. I have no children. I am a political conservative with libertarian leanings. I am a registered Republican. I am a Roman Catholic. I have worked in the following areas, entertainment, real estate, mortgage banking, and human services. I have owned 2 businesses. Some of my interests include politics, law, history, and current events.Hobbies I partake in include music, target shooting and cars (my Camaro rumbles) If you wish to find out more about me, feel free to visit my web page PEZmans World
You can find me in many other areas of

Current Events: U.S.
U.S. Politics
Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics
Military Policy & Weapons
Military History
U.S. History
Supreme Court Cases
Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty
Miscellaneous, Serial Murder, Rape, Arson and other sexually motivated crimes
2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms
Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports
Conspiracies & Extremism
Careers: Music
Hartford, Ct.
Trinity College, Hartford, Ct.
Eastern Connecticut State University

Organizations belong to

Cleo of AX Alpha Chi (former Alpha Chi Chapter of DKE)
National Rifle Association
Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Assoc.
Windsor Marksman Assoc.
The Republican Party
The Roman Catholic Church
History of Hartford Project

Publications and Media Appearances

?The Other Voice? published articles.
?The Frogbelly Local? published articles.
?Hey Little Lady? {song} published Americord Records
Talk Radio appearances include;
Mornings with Ushi, CyberRadio & TV, Broadcast in Los Angles CA. worldwide via the internet.
The Lynda Mercer Show on Power Talk WULF 94.3 FM Radcliffe, Kentucky
The Allen Price Show on WRVA Newsradio 1140 AM Richmond, VA
and many more.
I have been a tech advisor to more than a dozen authors.

AS from Eastern Conn. State Univ.
BA from Trinity College
11 other professional certifications

I have received 31 awards and honors for various activities.