Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Johnny Signor

SubjectDate Asked
860th Engineer Aviation Battilon2/17/2015
  Q: My father was assigned to the 860th EAB in the New Guinea & South Philippines campaigns in ...
  A: Carl , hello and thank you for your inquiry about the 860th EAB unit emblem , I have been ...
World War 22/12/2015
  Q: Mr. Signor, My name is MIDN Arroyobautista. I am currently a senior at the United States Naval ...
  A: Not really sure exactly what you're looking for , but if you want just an Opinion" on an aircraft ...
B9 jacket1/25/2015
  Q: I am wondering if you can help me identify the year a jacket was made. It is a B9 winter flying ...
  A: I'm not a Jacket expert , but can suggest a forum or two that should be able to help , you'll need ...
Country of origin11/22/2014
  Q: I have an old picture of my grandfather from when he was serving in WWII. The photo shows 4 US MPs ...
  A: Hey Stoney , this one is a little out of my area of knowledge , but the sign in the photo says ...
Great Wall of China Information.11/8/2014
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China The Distance between point a - starting point to b ...
  A: I am really sorry but this is not my area of knowledge , I have no idea about the inside structure ...
WW2 Effects on the Jews11/2/2014
  Q: What do you think the major effects of WW2 on the Jews were?
  A: although this isn't really my area of research , I would like to offer an "opinion" about WW2 and ...
USN WWII patch10/20/2014
  Q: I came across a website that acknowledged expert help from Johnny Signor in identifying a USN WWII ...
  A: I have only a slightly fuzzy black and white image of the CAG-16 emblem ,it is a shield background ...
Shoulder Insignia9/21/2014
  Q: My Dad was with Company C of the 346th Infantry Regiment assigned to the 87th Infantry Division ...
  A: the shoulder patch would have been the 87th Infantry Division , which is a round pea green ...
Part 2 of question8/23/2014
  Q: Here is the second style of wings. Notice the center shield is different between the two wings ...
  A: The air crew wing pin in the photo above is the Proper one she is wearing, they had "slight" ...
Correct Wings for Air Crew Member8/23/2014
  Q: This references the question John Vargas answered: 2012-03-03 WWII WAC WAAF Flight Engineer: We will ...
  A: according to Wikipedia the "Flight Engineer" wings were not "Officially" approved for wear until 19 ...
ss wiking ring7/15/2014
  Q: i recently got a ring from a friend who said she got it from her husband who had served in the US ...
  A: your ring appears to be of German make, the deign on the shield(on side) of ring is that of the "SS" ...
1126th MP CO (AVN) in the Philippines.6/19/2014
  Q: My father was in the 1126TH MP Co. (AVN)(USAAF). According to his WD AGO FORM 53-55 his date of ...
  A: this is a little outside of what I work with , But I can suggest a good free site to join and post ...
ring identification5/1/2014
  Q: Please see picture of ring (attached). I would like to know original and significance. Thanks, ...
  A: sorry for the delay in answering your inquiry about the ring , the emblem on the front is that of ...
WW II Japanese surrender papers4/22/2014
  Q: My Great Grandmother was working at Wright's Air Force base and made all of the copies of the ...
  A: Well if the papers were copied from "original" documents ,I would think a serious collector of WW2 ...
WWII Bomber Jack Patches3/17/2014
  Q: I have two patches, from my father, and have no idea which group, squadron, etc. they are from. One ...
  A: I could probably help , is there any way you could send me photo of these two patches,the ...
554th USAAF3/9/2014
  Q: My Dad was with the 554th base unit ending up in Ft. Dix, New Jersey. I can't find any information ...
  A: I have the 554th Army Air Force Base Unit (AAFBU) was out of Memphis ,Tenn in 1946 and was part of ...
My dad's cousin Robert Durian. U.S.N.3/7/2014
  Q: Iam trying to find more information on my dads cousin Robert Durian. I thought one time (years ...
  A: this one is a little out of my area of knowledge, but I can suggest a site that is free to join and ...
Follow up on 7907 BU2/21/2014
  Q: I have his serial number - is there a way of tracing that? By the way what is the significance of ...
  A: well sorry to hear of the "disconnect" with the relative, it happens and I have "been there" . As ...
WWII military designation2/20/2014
  Q: I am trying to track my son-in-law's grandfather's military service in WWII as a route to tracing ...
  A: most likely it was a "typo" on the "BN" rather than being "BU", but do you have any photos of the ...
Maps2/7/2014
  Q: I have maps that were made in 1944 by the war and navy department. They are a set of 9 that make up ...
  A: this is something not in my area of knowledge , but I can suggest a site you could post your ...
Info on Father1/13/2014
  Q: Mr. Signor, I believe my father served in the 3010 AAF Base unit. I found an old Army First Aid ...
  A: I wish I could tell you something about his background, also I am not sure if there's a museum there ...
P-38 at HPO 94812/28/2013
  Q: My name is Aaron Johnson, and I've been doing some research into pictures and items my grandfather ...
  A: I believe the P-38 in the photo may be an early one of Col .Charles MacDonald's "Putt Putt Maru" ...
Americam Campaign Medal WWII and Victory Medal WWII12/1/2013
  Q: Have you ever read any research that addresses the wearing of the bronze star device on either of ...
  A: I am sorry but this isn't really my area of knowledge , I work more in the area of aviation unit ...
german uniform11/26/2013
  Q: My uncle fought in WWII. He brought back with him a german uniform article of clothing that I can ...
  A: I'm no expert on German items , sorry , but I have a suggestion what they "may" be , I'm thinking ...
AAF General Orders10/10/2013
  Q: I'm not too familiar with the organization or workings of the AAF during World War II. I'm looking ...
  A: I have to apologize as this is an area outside of what I really work in, my area is more in the line ...
Warton BAD 29/21/2013
  Q: I have just come across your site and the questions you were asking about Warton with regards to the ...
  A: I'm somewhat at a loss as I don't recall the posting etc ,my bad , but would you please "refresh" my ...
WW II- 201st Mexican Fighter Squadron9/6/2013
  Q: I need an expert to vet information about the 201st Mexican Air Fighter Squadron that served with ...
  A: I know that the 201st Mexican Fighter Squadron was part of the WW2 USAAF 58th Fighter Group ,and ...
411th fighter squadron9/5/2013
  Q: Trying to help a friend whos father was in the 411th, part of the 373rd fighter group of the 9th ...
  A: are you looking for history of the unit , or what exactly ??????? I have images of both the Group ...
Significance of helmet liner color8/5/2013
  Q: I have a purple liner in a Vietnam era(or later) helmet. I've also seen blue ones. Why the ...
  A: I'm not a helmet person , but I know of a site you can post on free after you register on it that ...
Warton BAD 27/17/2013
  Q: If you or any of your colleagues have access to Harry Holmes’ book “The World’s Greatest Air Depot: ...
  A: I don't have the book mentioned , but can suggest a couple of online sites you could post this on ...
My cousin, Thomas Waylon Henderson7/13/2013
  Q: How is it possible to find out any particulars about the above WWII veteran who was a crewmember on ...
  A: If the papers you have has his serial number etc you should be able to find out via the site I'll ...
Military wings by Meyers6/17/2013
  Q: I received the wings from a friend who picked them up at a yard sale. I am not a collector but enjoy ...
  A: Hey Chuck, your wings are those for a Pilot of the Nicarauguan Air Force, you can view a photo of ...
WW II Pin?6/10/2013
  Q: Picked up this pin at an estate sale, thought it was interesting, never seen any online like it. ...
  A: It appears to be what is called a Hat Eagle, usually worn on the "Offciers" type of dress uniform ...
453rdBG emblem6/2/2013
  Q: We are based at Old Buckenham (Station 144) where the 453rd was based. As it's the 70th anniversary ...
  A: The only thing I have on the design is from a small photo I saw online via a friend showing a ...
locating Mission lists & Transport Ship5/16/2013
  Q: Johnny, My father was a ball turret gunner on a B-24 with the 459th Bombardment Group, 757th ...
  A: well I don't know how much this will help but you can try the following and hopefully one or more of ...
patches5/2/2013
  Q: I see you on the US Militaria Forum. Great postings. I will eventually join & do some posting ...
  A: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I make any 5-6 inch WW2 era USAAF/USN/USMC flying unit patches for $50.00 ...
ID the site and the uniform in the background4/26/2013
  Q: I found this photo of my mother, standing in front of a Piper plane. My parents came to the US in ...
  A: well as to where the field is in the photo , that's a very difficult question, it appears to be a ...
Reconnaissance Squadrons4/17/2013
  Q: Been researching bomb groups in the second world war,was wondering if when a recon sqd. was attach ...
  A: well it would depend on if the Recon unit's aircraft were of "bomber" type , usually they weren't , ...
Bomber & Fighter Groups of WW 24/13/2013
  Q: I am trying to put together a data base on ww 2 bomber & fighter groups.I would like to known if you ...
  A: this is a great question, please give me time to get back to you on this one as I will have to ...
Vintage WWII Photo4/6/2013
  Q: I recently discovered the attached picture in a box of old photos and would like to identify the ...
  A: well German items really aren't my thing , but if I think what I see on two of the fellows in the ...
B-24 Liberator/name "Michigan"3/27/2013
  Q: Johnny: appreciate your thanks for my service.....have a serious problem with responding to you. ...
  A: sorry to hear none of your crew is still with us , also surprised that the sites didn't have ...
B-24 Liberator bomber/"Michigan"3/26/2013
  Q: Johnny: hope you can help....trying to be of some help to the Yankee air museum, Belleview, ...
  A: Well , if you have a photo of the B-24 that shows the fuselage and or tail I can tell you what Group ...
Inquiry about Plaque3/4/2013
  Q: Sir, Any ideas about this plaque?Need some details about it. Trying to find out if its real or ...
  A: Well , if it's heavy and looks to be made of either bronze/brass, most likely it is genuine, do you ...
Military cloth badge2/27/2013
  Q: I have in my possesion a cloth badge from the 2nd world war. It denotes the German imperial eagle, ...
  A: Luftwaffe items aren't my area of best knowledge, do you have a photo you could send of the ...
Discharge papers2/25/2013
  Q: i was wondering if you could help me clarify my great grandpas discharge papers as to what they ...
  A: paperwork is a bit out of my field, but I can suggest a forum you can join free and post on free, ...
Fathers service WW II. station in Tenn. (?)2/6/2013
  Q: Sir, Good morning! Thank you for taking this moment. My father was stationed in Tenn. I ...
  A: well this is a new one to me, I'll give you a forum site to go to that should be your best bet for ...
25 combat missions1/26/2013
  Q: A family member, SSGT Carl Niemann was killed in a B-17G midair collision July 7, 1944.It was his ...
  A: Actaully a lot of crewman ended up flying way more than the "original" set 25 mission quota, when ...
WWII Pin, need to know the name1/9/2013
  Q: I have what i believe to be a WWII pin that belonged to my great grandfather, it is black and has a ...
  A: from your discription of the pin , they sound like US Marine Corps , and they would be "Lance ...
pictures12/31/2012
  Q: My father Mathias A. Benner, Army serial # 31220706, from Maine. Enlisted Feb 1943 and Separated ...
  A: do you have anything that has patch/patches on it ,papers saying what unit/s he was assigned to , ...
USAF JACKET TYPE G-8 JACKET12/9/2012
  Q: I came across a shearling bomber jacket in a vintage store that was being advertised as a high ...
  A: your jacket sounds like a nice one, but without photos of it it is hard to tell if it's an original ...
WW2 Air Force Units12/7/2012
  Q: My father's World War II service started with the Infantry (MOS 745 - Rifleman) in the Army Ground ...
  A: wow he really got around to say the least !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now as to what awards/medals/ribbons ...
Majors of the 681th GFAB11/30/2012
  Q: Signor, I am trying to find the name of a Major assigned to the 17th Airborne Division during ...
  A: your best bet for finding the info about the men of the 17th etc would be to post your questions on ...
WW2 Plane11/22/2012
  Q: Please i am looking for a ww2 airplane, i am not to sure about what model pretty sure American , ...
  A: this is a very vague question, do you possibly know if this aircraft was of a "fighter" unit, and if ...
Mittens11/21/2012
  Q: My father served on a U.S. Navy fleet tug in World War 2, the U.S.S. Pawnee (ATF-74). His crew was ...
  A: your gloves could foul weather types, I don't think they're "boxing gloves" , I took a quick look at ...
451st BG11/15/2012
  Q: Two part question. In reference to B-24 Heavy Bombers, what was a "Mickey Ship"? Next, my uncle was ...
  A: nice to hear from you and Glad to help ! The B-24 "Mickey Ship" was a modified type that carried a ...
Army Air Corps11/13/2012
  Q: My dad always said he was in the Air Corps. He passed 10/12/2012, was cremated and buried in a ...
  A: are you able to post send photo of him in front of the aircraft you mention? I ask this as It may ...
World War II airplane parts expert10/22/2012
  Q: Signor: I'm a criminal defense lawyer, representing an individual in a case involving numerous P-63 ...
  A: although this is a little out of my field I can suggest a few contacts that should be able to assist ...
My Fathers' WW2 duty, stateside10/5/2012
  Q: My father's dogtag info as follows: McManus, George, 35286090 T42-43 B P. As far as I know, he was ...
  A: John , well the info is a little "vague" to say the least , what branch od service was he in would ...
unauthorized us army cloth insignia10/2/2012
  Q: I'm aware that the Army QM Dept. began authorizing designs for military patches after WW1. However, ...
  A: Hey Barry , got some really good questions here , most of which are somewhat difficult to answer , ...
Synthetic fuel used during WW29/13/2012
  Q: I have been reading about the Germans producing synthetic oil/gasoline(benzene) during WW2. Was that ...
  A: sorry but this question is a little out of my area of knowledge , i work in the military aviation ...
WWII Corpman Uniform Top8/27/2012
  Q: Good evening Sir, I have just acquired a dress white uniform top that I was told belonged to a WWII ...
  A: well to be honest I don't know much about corpman uniforms as they're not avaiation related , but I ...
WWII Air Force pin8/15/2012
  Q: I'm having trouble identifying a pin of my grandfather's. This is the only thing of his I own and he ...
  A: from what I can see in the photo , it appears to be what is commonly called a "sweetheart" pin, ...
WW 11 Army Air Force Observer Wings7/28/2012
  Q: I found the above in a box of items that belonged to an uncle of mine. I'm attaching a picture and ...
  A: Yes , your wings are real WW2 issue , i woudl gladly take them if you're donating them , I collect ...
L-16 follow up question7/28/2012
  Q: Johnny, can you provide any information on the Air Force 3585th pilot training wing unit based in ...
  A: Your best bet for an indepth history on the 3585th would be to contact the man in adress below at ...
L-16 paint schemes 19467/27/2012
  Q: I am restoring an Aeronca L-16A which was owned by the Army Air Corps in 1946 & 1947, based in ...
  A: I can suggest the following sites that you may already know of ,if not they should be able to lead ...
Campaign Credit WW27/7/2012
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me what were the requirements or guidelines that a unit had to ...
  A: as to how a unit was "awarded" a unit "Citation"/Campaign" credit i sent you a prior answer of a ...
WW2 signal construction lineman (wire man)7/7/2012
  Q: I'm not sure if this is what you mean when you say you're an expert of USAAF during WW2, but I'll ...
  A: Hey Micah , well my real area of "Expertise" is in the line of the unit "emblems" , thier designs ...
u.s. air force ring. please help.7/4/2012
  Q: I own a strategic air command air force ring. I cant find any information on it anywhere. I was ...
  A: your ring sounds interesting to say the least , I would like to see some photos of it please as this ...
1587th QM Battallion (Mobile) (Aviation)7/1/2012
  Q: Johnny, Could you tell me any higher units, groups or squads that the 1587th Quartermaster Battalion ...
  A: The only thing I ahve found so far is something "eluding" to the unit being affiliated with a ...
329th Air Service Squadron6/24/2012
  Q: I've done an internet search for the 329th Air Service Squadron and have found very little about ...
  A: with just a quick net search I found that the 329th ASS was with the 327th Air Service Group, ...
WWII 88th Troop Carrier Squadron emblem/insignia6/23/2012
  Q: Signor, I have been researching my father's WWII history for over a year and, off and on, I have ...
  A: I have been researching WW2 unit emblems for about 30 years now and am finding that the emblems ...
Fathers WWll campaigns6/23/2012
  Q: My father passed away in 1999. My brothers and I have found some recent info on his WWll history, ...
  A: wow this is a puzzler, would you possibly have any photos of you Father in uniform/s that show ...
441st Bomb Squad, 320th Bomb Group Patches & Insignia6/9/2012
  Q: My father was re-assigned from an infantry unit to the AAC/AAF after being wounded and unable to ...
  A: well in some cases the standard USAAF shoulder patch was worn, and then in others the actual ...
Ring identification6/5/2012
  Q: This ring was found under an old abandoned house in Alabama nearly 40 years ago. I have never been ...
  A: A really unusual ring, there's a possibility that it could be of "Finnish" background as that ...
Military Pin5/10/2012
  Q: Can you please see if you can identify the pin shown in the photo here? It was my Dad's and he was ...
  A: I'm not sure what happened , but I answered this question just the other day , i wasn't of much help ...
Pin from WWII5/9/2012
  Q: Can you perhaps identify the Pin in the photo? I believe that it was my Dad's from WWII. He was in ...
  A: first of all this is the first time I have seen a pin like this one, it has the US Government ...
AAF Emblems4/16/2012
  Q: I have two of what appear to be possibly collar emblems. (Clasp pins) They are Inverted triangles, ...
  A: Your insignia are the emblems for the Army Air Force Material Command , they would have been worn ...
Japanese WW2 helmet and markings3/14/2012
  Q: ...I have a Japanese helmet brought back from the Pacific Theater by my grand uncle.It has markings ...
  A: sorry but foriegn items aren't my area of knowledge , but I can suggest a couple of sites that can ...
identify emblem3/10/2012
  Q: My mother was an Army Corps nurse in Burma in June 1943. We just found a box with emblems. I have ...
  A: by your description and without a photo , I assume your patch is the "Ledo Road" design , you can ...
insignia3/9/2012
  Q: I have a photo of a two star army general shaking the hand of a young WAC inductee (photo taken by ...
  A: glad to help , the emblem on the generals shoulder is the 1st Service Command patch of the Army ...
1903 Springfield2/22/2012
  Q: I own a 1903 Springfield ser. no. 1217097 in new condition. Information tells me it was manufactured ...
  A: although guns are not my area of knowledge,I do know a site that should be able to help you with the ...
411th of 373rd2/3/2012
  Q: I just saw that you answered a question related to this squadron, and I noted a reference to a ...
  A: I'm a little confused as to your question, the 373rd Bombardment Squadron was with the 308th ...
General Patton and Witez II1/17/2012
  Q: I don't know if this is in your expertise,but I hope you can try your best; Can you tell me some ...
  A: well no this area is not that of which I work in, I am sorry , my field is the military aviation ...
Finding records1/2/2012
  Q: My father, Isadore Lankin served in WW2, as second lieutant in squadron s, 348 th AAF, out of Will ...
  A: as to a good place to find out about your Dad's service I would suggest you go to this site and ...
Flight mission symbols WWII12/30/2011
  Q: Signor, I am researching my father's flight history in the CBI theater during WWII. He piloted B-24s ...
  A: this is a good question, I have seen the emblems painted on the aircraft noses of various types, but ...
F-10 units, tails11/3/2011
  Q: My late uncle flew as a camera operator/gunner on the F-10 photographic variant of the B-25 from ...
  A: I went through my refference books etc and I can find no 8th CMS listed , it could have been the 8th ...
Minuteman Flag10/24/2011
  Q: About 10 years ago, I found a flag in storage in an old farm house. It is 3x5 and says the maker is ...
  A: it does sound like a "guard" type flag, yes please send a photo , I will do some digging and see if ...
My Grandfather10/15/2011
  Q: I am looking to find more information on my Grandfathers service in the Army in 1944. I know he ...
  A: first of all I am sorry to hear of your G'Dad's passing , another of "The Greatest Generation" . As ...
ww2 military ring10/13/2011
  Q: I have come across a ring that belonged to my dad, who is diseased. I hope you can tell me something ...
  A: well it sounds like a military ring, do you know what service he was in ????? There are a lot of ...
WWll army air force firefighter10/12/2011
  Q: Signor, My dad served overseas with the 458th air service group in the European theater of ...
  A: Well by what I could find out about the "group" was they were under the IX Troop Carrier Command,9th ...
photo from 1944/45 Innsbruck10/10/2011
  Q: Johnny: your people said to just click attach an image, please let me know if you receive the photo ...
  A: I got the photo, no problem, your mystery soldier "appears" to be US Army, the photo also appears to ...
Bomb lapel pin 1945 Army Air Corps9/30/2011
  Q: Can you identify a lapel pin for me. Is it significant to a unit my Dad served in?m I have attached ...
  A: do you possibly have a better photo or of the actual pin ????????? Your photo is a little small and ...
Western union college flight school photos9/27/2011
  Q: I own the 41 International woodie station wagon that the College owned to take student pilots to and ...
  A: I assume if the college is still in existance that you've contacted them to see if thier archives ...
ATC--Ferrying Group Emblem9/20/2011
  Q: Mr. Signor, After my father completed his combat tour with the 381st Bomb Group in March, 1944, he ...
  A: as far as I have been able to ascertain , the 33rd Ferrying Group never had an "Officially" approved ...
WWII bullet ?9/4/2011
  Q: I have just sent you one question, but was unable to scan this item I am wondering about on the same ...
  A: This is an unusual looking "bullet" , it appears to have some "codes" or "type markings on it, can ...
military finds - pins,patch,bullet?9/4/2011
  Q: After my father passed away (WWII vet) I came across some miliary pins, etc. I have scanned a few to ...
  A: well the patch appears to be a German "SS" type , your striped pin is the US Army Good Conduct award ...
WWII helmet8/11/2011
  Q: I recently purchased a WWII helmet from an antique store without knowing much about the helmet. I ...
  A: your helmet without seeing a photo of, sounds to me like a "Mission" type, in other words it was ...
Despatch Riders7/13/2011
  Q: What type of unit would a Dispatch Ride in England during WW11 have belonged to if he was visiting ...
  A: I'm sorry but this question is a little out of my field of knowledge, postal work although military ...
WW2 Army 860th Aviation Engineering Unit Emblem7/13/2011
  Q: I'm looking to find an image for the 860th Army Aviation Engineering Unit Emblem. Ultimately I ...
  A: I bopped around on the net looking up the 860th EAB, I found a small photo of a unit book about the ...
USMCR dogtag7/2/2011
  Q: I am a New Zealand Police Officer currently serving in Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands. I have come ...
  A: it is possible your dog tag is an original, I assume you found it there on the Island or did you get ...
military law7/1/2011
  Q: I am writing a story about an Air Force Major who is conspiring with five citizens to murder an AF ...
  A: well I 'm sorry but I won't be able to help you much with this one, my area of knowledge is the ...
cannonball6/30/2011
  Q: we found what we believe is a cannonball, it was found at Sandwich bay in Kent while digging for lug ...
  A: although this is really way outside my area of knowledge(military aviation unit emblems) I can ...
Old jacket6/25/2011
  Q: I think the jacket is the forerunner of the B-3. It has the front pocket and side adjuster straps. ...
  A: Well without a photo it is very difficult to be able to tell, I would suggest you post a photo/s of ...
german helmet, possibly a kreigsmarine5/31/2011
  Q: I need some help in identifying this German helmet...........usually according to my research a ...
  A: this is outside my area of what I do , my area is military aviation unit emblems , but I can suggest ...
WWII bomber jacket Identify5/10/2011
  Q: I purchased an old WWII bomber leather jacket. I can not identify it. It looks like a B-3 but it is ...
  A: I'm no expert on the make of leather jackets , but I can suggest a great site for finding out what ...
Army Air Force Base Unit4/28/2011
  Q: My father was in the 325th Army Air Force Base Unit, Squadron D during 1943-1945. What can you tell ...
  A: It is my understanding this AAFBU was stationed at Marianna AAFLD in Florida and was a Advanced ...
Axis Power4/5/2011
  Q: 1. How did Soviet Union emerge as superpower after about four years of fighting on Russian soil? ...
  A: Washington, I am sorry that your questions are notin the area of what I am familiar with, I work in ...
CAA-WTS wings4/3/2011
  Q: My father completed the Civilian Aeronautics Administration - War Training Service Secondary Course ...
  A: glad to be able to help ! get on your computer and type in your search line the following , ...
Army Air Corps DUI reference2/24/2011
  Q: I have 2 unit crests that belonged to my Uncle in WWII, He was in the 36th Fighter Squadron in ...
  A: well first of all if your Uncle was a pilot he would have been in the USAAF which "technically" was ...
collar button2/15/2011
  Q: I HAVE A BRONZE WW1 COLLAR INSIGIA INEED TO IDENTIFY- IT HAS CROSSED CANNONS WITH HQ BELOW AND A 1 ...
  A: WW-1 items are really out of my area of knowledge,I work in the WW-2 military aviation unit emblem ...
APO locator2/6/2011
  Q: How do I learn where a WW2 APO address took the mail? For example I've ltrs that went to APO 713 ...
  A: Will, I'm not an expert on this specific area , I deal mostly in militarya aviation unit emblems and ...
Gold Flying Prop ring2/1/2011
  Q: In the 1950's I purchased a gold winged prop ring at an estate auction on the island of Kauai, ...
  A: well by what I can see in the photo, it appears to have the WW-2 era winged prop design in it's ...
World War 2 Victory Medal1/30/2011
  Q: I am doing some research regarding my father's WW2 military service. My father was overseas almost ...
  A: well as I'm not really well versed in the area of military medal awards I would think if his papers ...
38cal. 5in. mk v1/1/2011
  Q: I bought a piece of brass that was being used as an ash tray. While cleaning it up I spotted the ...
  A: Well first of all this sounds like a ammunition round spent shell casing piece , secondly I ahte to ...
767th Bomb Squadron, 461st Bomb Group12/19/2010
  Q: John, I am researching my father who was attached to the 767th bomber squadron in Torretta, Italy ...
  A: sorry to hear about the losss of your Fathers records, as to what other medals/awards he may have ...
1178th MP Co, Aviation11/28/2010
  Q: My father enlisted in the Army 4 Sept 42 in Indianapolis Indiana. He was stateside for 11 months 21 ...
  A: this is a rather interesting question , but a little out of my area of research, I just work with ...
wwII airborne jump rosters11/21/2010
  Q: I am looking for proof that my father Floyd Russell Perry was on jump rosters for Hq co 2nd Bn 517th ...
  A: sorry to hear of your Father's loss while you were so young of an age . I'm not really familiar with ...
WWII Medallion11/16/2010
  Q: This is a round medallion measuring about 4 1/2 cm. It is made of probably metal or copper and is a ...
  A: although German itmes are outside of the area I specialise in I would venture that this piece is ...
B-24 Nose Art11/15/2010
  Q: Johnny,I am a Civil War[ask the expert]thanks for your answer about my uncle's-"Harry the ...
  A: Helo Herb, I would think that the survivors, and thier relatives should be able to get them more ...
Aviation Unit ID Pennant11/11/2010
  Q: Howdy, I realize this may be out of your area of expertise, but if you can tell me anything at all ...
  A: yes this one is only out of my area as to being of WW-1 vintage, but I can tell you it is of that ...
WWI Aero Squadron11/3/2010
  Q: I bought an old military foot locker with "SGT H.M. Wambough-503 Aero Squadron painted nicely on the ...
  A: well the first world war isn't really my area of expertise, you've already gotten the era and type ...
Iron Crosses10/22/2010
  Q: I recently found two iron crosses in my Grandfathers belongings and was wondering if they are real. ...
  A: I will try to help you here via a website I am a member of , but german items are not my expetise, ...
ID of Military Plane9/29/2010
  Q: Attached is a pic from WWII showing the nickname on a plane. I haven't been able to find anything ...
  A: first of all your aircraft in the photo is a Boeing B-29 Superfortress which is a WW-2 heavy Bomber ...
ww2 euro/africa,me,campaign medal9/19/2010
  Q: on my europen,african,middle eastern campaign medal, are attached fromleft to right three pins. the ...
  A: I had to actually look this up for you as it's a little out of my area of military research, I do ...
ww2 motor vehicle badge9/15/2010
  Q: Signor, I wonder if you can tell me where I can get more information about an original striking die ...
  A: Well your description doesn't mention if it was for military drivers or civilian drivers , but if ...
WW2 Bombardiers Manual9/6/2010
  Q: ! i am at my wits end. i have a ww2 manual titled "Bombardiers Manual Ground Training Westover ...
  A: the manual you have would most likely be a collectors item, but as to value that really depends on ...
COLDITZ7/28/2010
  Q: I would like some info on Colditz. I know it was a pow camp for Allied officers who were escape ...
  A: I'm sorry that this subject is somewhat out of the area of research I usually work in, although I ...
unknown medal ribbon bars7/28/2010
  Q: I have 2 ribbon bars that I am unable to identify. I have spent a lot of time trying to locate what ...
  A: wow ,these must go back sometime, I don't have much in the way of "Ribbon" award ID materials, I ...
The 411th Fighter Squadron7/18/2010
  Q: "Dear Mr. Signor, I have recently been compiling information on my grandfather, who served in the ...
  A: the 373rd Fighter Group and the 411th Squadron both had a unit emblem, both were of an "Unofficial" ...
128th Military Police Company7/12/2010
  Q: I was assigned to the 128th MP Co from 1966 thru 1967 stationed at Camp Ames Korea. Can you tell me ...
  A: although this question is a bit out of my area (I work with military aviation items) I can offer ...
My uncle In Bomber Squadron WWII7/8/2010
  Q: I am wondering how I can decipher what kind of aircraft this is (where I can find a picture) My ...
  A: the B-24H was known as the "Liberator" it is a four engined aircraft with a twin tail, it was a ...
Bombers in Pacific Theater during WWII6/23/2010
  Q: I am having trouble finding what squadron my dad flew with during WWII. He was a ...
  A: this a a wide range question as the Marines had a few B-25/PBJ units in WW-2, do you have any ...
ww1 footlocker6/17/2010
  Q: I have a ww1 army issue footlocker. It is in good condition except for the leather side straps which ...
  A: this type of item is quite a bit out of my area of work, I'm sorry that I can't really help here , ...
WW2 USN Wool Jumper Shirt6/9/2010
  Q: You were very helpful in the past with a question I had, so figured I would try you again! I have a ...
  A: Well , this is a unusal one here, i'll tell you what I have an give you my "Best" guess, the "V' ...
santa ana WWII aviation students packet4/26/2010
  Q: I recently got a bunch of stuff at a yard sale, there was a folder with some interesting papers ...
  A: your packet sounds very interesting, It's somewhat out of my area of knowledge but still military ...
Iron Cross4/24/2010
  Q: I have a iron cross ,only marking is sterling on reverse , has two gold bars 3/8 in long hanging ...
  A: this sounds like an interesting item, is there a chance you can post a photo of it so I can view ...
Gen. William T. Sherman4/21/2010
  Q: While doing family research on a Civil War veteran, I was informed by another family member that my ...
  A: well first of all my area of knowledge deals with WW-2 military aviation unit emblems, I can suggest ...
ww11 buzz bombs4/18/2010
  Q: which AAA gun was first to shoot down a v1,buzz bomb?
  A: As this is somewhat out of my area of knowledge I am sorry to say I can't help you with an answer. ...
shoulder patches of AAA4/6/2010
  Q: my fatherwas in the 460th AAA AW Bn.I believe he was attached to the 1st infantry.my question is ...
  A: well your question is a very involved one, first of all do you have any photos of him in any type of ...
WW24/5/2010
  Q: To what extent did Hitler's caution affect the outcomes of operation yellow?
  A: I'm sorry but your question to me is really out of my area of knowledge, I work with WW-2 military ...
personnel assignments4/4/2010
  Q: I am trying to find reference material to use in the construction of a radio controlled B-17. A ...
  A: if I understand you correctly you're needing detailed info on the structures/etc of the B-17 Flying ...
patch4/2/2010
  Q: Can you please tell me what the difference is between a WW1 patch and WW2 and later patch for the ...
  A: as to the differences of the 83rd Infantry Division patch of WW-1,WW-2 and current WW-1 is was first ...
Grandmother WASP or Army Air Force?3/25/2010
  Q: John, Hi. I have a picture of my grandmother in uniform. She has the "Winged Props" Insignia on ...
  A: your Grandmothers picture sounds intriguing, please send it to me so I can get a better look at the ...
B-17 Crew Amenities3/24/2010
  Q: My mother married a B-17 Bombadier who died over Germany in 1943 soon afterwards. I am interested in ...
  A: well by the stories I've read about bomber crew missions, they were very trying and long, many were ...
WW23/23/2010
  Q: I'm working on a story about my Grandfather Hal Chesters who served in the Pacific Theater April ...
  A: although this is outside the area I work with (military aviation) I think I can help you a little, I ...
WWII Germany & USSR3/16/2010
  Q: How did the German-Soviet conflict make the world war into a "global war" and "total war"? Thanks ...
  A: although I have to say I really can't help you with it, my area of knowledge deals with the aviation ...
831st Enginee (Aviation) Battalion2/21/2010
  Q: I am looking for information about the 831st Engineering (Aviation) Battalion after March 1, 1944 ...
  A: I just typed in the words 831st Engineering Aviation Battallion and it went to a page about it, and ...
WWII2/16/2010
  Q: My father was a B17 pilot in WWII. I have his military records. I would like to track down actual ...
  A: I know there is a site about the 487th Bombardment Group, they were called "The Gentlemen From Hell" ...
My Father's USAF Wings2/14/2010
  Q: My father was flew F-89s for the airforce in the late fifties and early sixties. We recently found ...
  A: the attachment you sent me did not come through right,all there is -is just a box with a red X in it ...
flying tigers question2/14/2010
  Q: is it true that the flying tigers fighting for nationalist china never came up against the japanese ...
  A: this is a very good question, one you've got me on ! I will have to check into my books on the AVG ...
Keesler air force base patches2/8/2010
  Q: I recently found some of my grandfather's military patches in a box with other military info, he was ...
  A: I got your question aqbout the patches ,but the photo was not "attached" with ti,please resend it ...
old military ring1/29/2010
  Q: Could you help me determine where this ring is from. It was in my mom' jewelry. They lived in ...
  A: that's a very unusual looking ring, I will be doing some checking around the net and see what I can ...
Okinawa WW21/20/2010
  Q: My Uncle was KIA in Okinawa, his military records state TEC5, member of 165th Infantry, 27th ...
  A: well this is a little out of my area of knowledge,but here's some info that should help you, the ...
History1/16/2010
  Q: I WOULD TO GET INFORMATION ABOUT THE History of 4th BN. 10th. INF. 193rd Bde.IN 1967 this unit was ...
  A: your best bet would be trying this site on the web,it's a good one for all around US Military ...
Father's WW11 Service info1/14/2010
  Q: I am trying to fill in the blanks on my dad's service info. His name is Percy Maurice Benner, and ...
  A: I can give you this site adress that I think will be your best choice for getting proper answers for ...
wwII buttons1/9/2010
  Q: i have 4 1"1/8" and 2 smaller collar buttons. I believe they are wwII national seal buttons they ...
  A: I'm sorry that I haven't answered sooner,my PC died and I had to buy a new one (OUCH) ! Anyway as to ...
Number of brothers in military.12/27/2009
  Q: A friend asked me if I could assist him in finding out if his family set a record by having had ...
  A: Well that very well could have been a record seeing as usually the military didn't like to have ...
3010th army air force base unit12/25/2009
  Q: I have a question pertaining to my grandfather who served in WWII. I know he received a European ...
  A: I can only suggest you try this site, what you need to do is get the macr papers about your ...
APO 34312/15/2009
  Q: My father was in the 4th Ind Hq 8th Army APO 343 in 1945-46 and I am trying to locate any ...
  A: although this is out of the area I usually work in (Military Aviation) I can suggest a site that you ...
trying to id a distinctive unit insignia ww212/5/2009
  Q: I have spent literally hours trying to research a dui I have in my collection. I simply cannot find ...
  A: Well that's one I've never seen, I have copied it and will lookinto my sorces,but at present I have ...
Americans in the British Army11/27/2009
  Q: Were there ever Americans serving in the British Army in WW2? If so could you give me a story ...
  A: this is an interesting question, but I am sorry that I really am not sure about if there were,we had ...
Attempting to Identify Military "Wings"11/24/2009
  Q: Johnny: Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I have a 3" pair of sterling silver ...
  A: your wings are USAF and I believe are the "aircrew" type, these would be post 1947 era to more ...
713th Military Police Battalion patch11/11/2009
  Q: My father in law was in the 713th Military Police Battalion Company A at Normandy in WWII EAME ...
  A: although this question is out of my area of research,I can suggest a site that you should have ...
my dad10/22/2009
  Q: i asked a question awhile ago and didn't get a response. I'm looking for some info on my dad's wwii ...
  A: first of all I did respond to your first question,I guess you must not have read it, secondly there ...
Airphoto10/18/2009
  Q: I'm looking for an airphoto from a German town called Huertgen (Hürtgen) that has been taken in 1945 ...
  A: I thank you for your question to me about the Aerial photo of Hurtgen, I can not help you with this ...
B-2410/11/2009
  Q: Do you have any info about the plane[Harry the Horse]?Flew out of Southern Italy in ...
  A: Do you know what group this aircraft was with? Or do you have a photo of it ? I would suggest you ...
re your ans for wm. bourne10/10/2009
  Q: My dad's serial # 32 319 729,USAF,sqadron D 325th aaf base unit.I'd like to know a little history ...
  A: your father would have to had been with one of the two group's listed here,445th Bomb Group or the ...
My Dad10/9/2009
  Q: igot my dad's DD214 records,i'm trying to find out how to get his dog tags or tag# so I can ...
  A: well first of all as to history of what squadron he was in I would need a Number of it,or what ...
Patch from US AAF from 194410/1/2009
  Q: There is a patch on my dad's flight jacket on a photo from Feb. 16th, 1944 Mackay, Australia ...
  A: Can you send me a photo of the emblem, also do you have a photo of any of the aircraft from the unit ...
WW2 patch identification9/29/2009
  Q: I recently found some patches that belonged to my grandfather, a WW2 veteran. I have identified ...
  A: your three patches are as follows, Large patch with star is the 16th Army Corps,the patch with the ...
Pin Identification9/26/2009
  Q: I apologize if I'm in the wrong area for this question. I have a military pin I am trying to ...
  A: I believe it to be a US Army Missle type ,This is most likely a 1950's or later embleem,which is out ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Johnny Signor

Top Expert on this page