Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Marc Leepson

SubjectDate Asked
Vietnam war query1/17/2017
  Q: I hope this finds you well. I wanted to see if you could help me with an query I have regarding ...
  A: Mark, Happy to shed some light on this. Yes, the U.S. sent the Army Special Forces (the Green ...
Operation Valkyrie- World War II1/11/2017
  Q: Leepson, I am a high school student in my junior year at Bedford High School in Massachusetts. I am ...
  A: While I don't consider myself an expert on World War II history, I have written about the war and ...
DEFECTIVE WW II MORTER SHELLS12/18/2016
  Q: My father was killed in Dec. 1944 in WW II in Italy allegedly due to a defective morter shell that ...
  A: You would need to look at your father's unit's records, which should be in the National Archives in ...
identifying WWII Army unit12/7/2016
  Q: I am transcribing letters written by a Lieutenant in the Army in WWI. He was stationed somewhere in ...
  A: It looks like he was with Battery B of the 283rd Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzer). Those ...
Dad's Military Information11/16/2016
  Q: Hey Marc, My dad was is WW II. He would not talk much about the War. I have his discharge papers and ...
  A: You would need the Bronze Star citation that went along with the medal. The document here, what's ...
WWII era hat and medallion? Needing help11/7/2016
  Q: Would you be willing to help me out? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  A: Can't say I recognize it, although I can say with near certainty that it's not an American military ...
Ship names10/21/2016
  Q: Mr. Leepson, I am assisting a Veteran research the possibility of a connection between his existing ...
  A: If you hadn't mentioned the National Archives, that's what I would have suggested. You've ...
uniform indentification10/12/2016
  Q: i have recently discovered my paternal grandfathers military uniform picture, he served in ww1, the ...
  A: Wish I could help you, but I have no expertise whatsoever on Italian uniforms or military history. ...
WWI Fighter Pilots9/15/2016
  Q: I'm hoping you can answer this because I cannot find anything on the internet to confirm or deny. ...
  A: Sorry, but I don't have any info on this. Have you tried contacting the American Aviators of World ...
South Picific ww 29/11/2016
  Q: ii25th military police co. aviation ..could you tell me all you know about what they did .. he ...
  A: Are you referring to the 25th MP Company or the 1125th? I couldn't find anything on the 1125th. It ...
Discharge9/9/2016
  Q: My dad wants to know what is the meaning of" permanent limited service ".it shows up on his ...
  A: I believe that this term means that he suffered some type of physical injury that was not severe ...
Pin symbols8/28/2016
  Q: Can you identify the symbols? on this 106th CA AAA WWII PIN Also can you tell me why the 106th and ...
  A: Sorry but I don't have a clue about the symbols. And I have no special knowledge about those two ...
Identify old military hat8/14/2016
  Q: I found a military hat in an old trunk. My dad was in the Navy WWII (Pacific) and was a prisoner of ...
  A: I'm not an expert on uniforms, but the hat looks like it has some kind of flying insignia. I checked ...
Wanting to know more about american generals and what they did during WW2.4/25/2016
  Q: During ww2 who were some of the most important U.S. generals during ww2? What responsibilities did ...
  A: Entire books have been written about U.S. Generals and World War II. I would suggest you read about ...
US Military R&D spending during WWII4/7/2016
  Q: I know that developing nuclear weaponry and B-29 bombers cost the US together five billion WWII era ...
  A: It looks like the total cost was $3.3 trillion; with the Manhattan Project at around $20 billion. ...
Civil War companies3/14/2016
  Q: My ancestor William Lloyd Larose served in the Civil War in the 4th Regiment of RI volunteers in ...
  A: Actually, it's not an easy question. In the overwhelming majority of cases, both companies would ...
Dads ww2 service2/12/2016
  Q: My Dad never talked much about his time during the war,as I just became a grandfather to a grandson ...
  A: As next of kin, you are entitled to receive a copy of his military personnel records from the ...
Campaign1/20/2016
  Q: I am doing some research on the Sheepeater Campaign that took place in central Idaho in 1879. It ...
  A: I don't know for certain, but it could have to do with pensions. A veteran of the event may have ...
WWll Dan Spivey1/4/2016
  Q: I am trying to reach Expert Mr. Kieth Patton. He answered my question very well but I failed to ...
  A: Sorry, I don't have anything on that company. You might want to check with the Army Center of ...
Trying to identify this uniform12/16/2015
  Q: Good evening! I was recently given an old military uniform. From what little I was told its from ...
  A: I'm not a uniform expert, but I do know a fair amount about WWI and I don't believe I've seen this ...
Deciphering Acronyms from Father's Service Records12/3/2015
  Q: Good afternoon, Mr. Leepson. I recently found a note written to me by my father (but never given to ...
  A: The first two entries describe your father's two units in Vietnam, where he served in the war's ...
B-17 Superman10/4/2015
  Q: my father flew 50 missions as a ball turet gunner on superman B-17. won the distiguish flying cross. ...
  A: Are you looking for more info about the bomb group? If so, try contacting the Army Center of ...
World War I8/15/2015
  Q: My great grandfather served in WWI. He was with the 31st Infantry, a private in Comp. K He enlisted ...
  A: You should be able to get a copy of your grandfather's military records from the National Archives' ...
Vietnam War6/15/2015
  Q: I have an essay prompt I am quite stuck on, any help would be greatly appreciated.It is supposed to ...
  A: Entire books have been written on this topic. I would devote one paragraph to the U.S. taking over ...
B-17 Flight Engineer in UK5/17/2015
  Q: Young lad working in a store that I met yesterday, knows nothing about his grandfather. I offered ...
  A: As far as being drafted versus joining, the military kept the same records on both categories. The ...
Civil War Cannons4/16/2015
  Q: Did Krupp make any cannons for the civil war and did Krupp make any cannons for the USA?
  A: Not from what I found after a quick search. See, America at the Fair: Chicago's 1893 World's ...
Atom Bombs Used on Japan3/19/2015
  Q: My question that after we dropped the two a-Bombs on Japan,did we have any more A-Bombs left to ...
  A: Good questions. It appears, from the little bit of research I just did, that we had one or two other ...
127th inf. co.d 32nd div.1/20/2015
  Q: On Oct.4,1918 the 32nd releived the 91st,including the 127th. Co.'s A, B,C, were in offensive ...
  A: An educated guess: As a sniper he could have been with the reserve unit and still done that job. I ...
info on 77th Infantry div about myself1/18/2015
  Q: Mr Leepson, I was a reservist in the 77th infantry division stationed at Fort Totten from 1965 to ...
  A: I don't have any answers for you, but I can suggest three places that might. First, for info about ...
Bennie M. Prisant12/25/2014
  Q: After searching for about 6 years, being told that all his records had been destroyed, and traveling ...
  A: My only thought would be to try find the 358th morning reports and other unit records, such as after ...
acronyms12/14/2014
  Q: My father-in-law is buried at Arlington. My husband and I would like to know what these mean: SGT HQ ...
  A: SGT = Sergeant HQ DET = Headquarters Detachment 2 AGFRD = Army Ground Forces Replacement Depot No. ...
A few Questions about my Grandfather's Honorary Discharge Paperwork12/1/2014
  Q: Leepson, I have recently been trying to search down the history of my Grandfather's invovlement in ...
  A: It looks like he was in the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, which was part of the 82nd Airborne. Did ...
National Gaurd size prior to WWII11/30/2014
  Q: Can you tell me the aprox size of the states National gaurds prior to WWII? In particular the ...
  A: There's a list at this web site: www.historyshots.com/USArmy/ListDivisions.cfm?t=4&d=National And ...
WWII Installations11/24/2014
  Q: Where can I obtain a complete listing of ALL US military installation in the US during WWII.?
  A: I'd check with the National Archives. A good place to start would be ...
War11/15/2014
  Q: First of all thank you for taking my question or questions. First I want to say I am a Operation ...
  A: Great questions. Historians have written books about all of them. I can only begin to hint at any ...
Meaning of C-H on WWII posters11/12/2014
  Q: This is a question that has attracted intense interest among a group of Wikipedia editors. We have ...
  A: I looked into WWII posters for my book Flag: An American Biography, but I was focused on those that ...
Found military dog tag11/11/2014
  Q: I found a dog tag I believe may be from the 60's - Vietnam era. Do you have any suggestions on how ...
  A: One way would be to use the Locator section of The VVA Veteran, the magazine published by Vietnam ...
WWII10/29/2014
  Q: Hopeful you may help. My father was a Private in WWII. Specifically looking for info with regards to ...
  A: The 494th AAA was an Air Defense Artillery Regiment Gun Battalion. It looks like that unit's ...
WWII Medals Bronze Stars10/25/2014
  Q: 1st. Lt W.A.C. Alice I. Moomaw served from September, 1943 until February, 1946 Separated in Des ...
  A: It appears she received the Asiatic-Pacific Medal for serving in that theater of war. The 2 Bronze ...
ms jagersfontein10/21/2014
  Q: was ms jagersfontein sunk in the 40s or was it still going in 1967 like some site say.?
  A: I don't have any special knowledge about this. You might want to contact the U.S. Naval Historical ...
Draft letters in 196410/18/2014
  Q: I received a draft notice in May 1964 right after I graduated from college. I don't have the letter ...
  A: Different draft boards had different formats for their draft notices during the Vietnam War. I ...
Info on WWI 36th infantry div8/21/2014
  Q: I'm in charge of research Broken Arrow Ok. Military History Museum. I'm trying to find info on a Mr. ...
  A: Have you tried contacting the Army Center of Military History? http://www.history.army.mil I'd also ...
WWII medal8/9/2014
  Q: My father-in law, William E. Winfree, served in WWII and has all his bars, in fact he has 1 more bar ...
  A: It's probably a clerical error of some sort. Are you referring to his DD-214 from when you say ...
WW17/28/2014
  Q: My great uncle was a vet of WW1 and I would like to know what his experience was as far as where he ...
  A: I found a regimental history of the 357th at ...
Rank Promotions7/6/2014
  Q: During WWII when enlisted men received a promotion in rank from PFC to SGT would that information be ...
  A: There is one pay grade between PFC (E-3) and SGT (E-5), which was Corporal (E-4) during World War ...
WWII volunteers7/4/2014
  Q: How quickly did men volunteer for the military after the bombing of Pearl Harbor? Since the attack ...
  A: Couldn't find anything on day by day enlistment, although hundreds of thousands did enlist in the ...
Military Voting Rights pre Civil War6/24/2014
  Q: How did soldiers, stationed away from their residence prior to the Civil War, vote in National ...
  A: When I did the research for my book, Desperate Engagement, about the July 9, 1864, Battle of ...
WWI unit information5/15/2014
  Q: I am trying to research my husband's grandfathers WWI service. I received the abstract today. I am ...
  A: Co G means Company G. The usual thing is for the battalion and regiment to follow, then the ...
American Veterans of Foreign Service5/8/2014
  Q: I am looking for specific information related to the group's inception. I know they were organized ...
  A: Sorry, but I don't have any special info about the American Veterans of Foreign Service. You said ...
verification of Bronze Star and PH medals4/12/2014
  Q: My father, Fred Warnell was with the 132nd Ord.Maint. Bn. with the 10th armored division. I am ...
  A: You have done an amazing amount of work here. The DD-214, as I'm guessing you know, is the ultimate ...
Campaigns3/20/2014
  Q: My grandfather was in World War II and never talked about his service. I sent off several years ago ...
  A: The 11th Infantry Regiment was part of the 5th Infantry Division during World War II. (A Division is ...
Potsdam Conference3/4/2014
  Q: I would like to know what the most important points were on the Potsdam Conference and the main ...
  A: The Potsdam Conference was controversial, especially during the Cold War, mainly because in post-War ...
Vietnam war2/23/2014
  Q: USA have sent total around 500.00 soldiers to Vietnam, if I am right. Some of this people lost their ...
  A: The total number of American troops who took part in the war in Vietnam was 2.8 million. Every ...
WWII2/22/2014
  Q: I've read where immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor that military recruitment centers ...
  A: The draft in effect at that time was for those aged 21 and above. Later, in 1942, the draft age was ...
Dog Tag/SeaBee2/18/2014
  Q: I have my late father's dog tags and I have a few questions about them. He served in the Navy in ...
  A: My guess about the first name is that the letters in his last name plus his first name may have been ...
Draft in 19642/14/2014
  Q: The following questions pertain to the U.S. military draft in 1964. In a typical situation, how much ...
  A: It was a matter of weeks that you had to report after getting your draft notice during the Vietnam ...
World War I Company Selection12/25/2013
  Q: Mr. Leepson, I'm a 16 y/o high schooler currently writing a screenplay about American boys who ...
  A: How many boys are you talking about? These things were possible for a group of friends, say four or ...
U.S. military in Iraq12/16/2013
  Q: I'm trying to contact someone that would be knowledgeable enough to settle an argument regarding ...
  A: I am not an expert on that. Doing a bit of on-line searching, I found this article from the ...
instrument of surrender with japan12/12/2013
  Q: I HAVE A 14 x 20 INSTRUMENT OF SURRENDER WITH JAPAN, 8 PAGE DOCUMENT U.S. GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE ...
  A: My guess is that since it is a GPO document, copies were given to government agencies (the National ...
Military history11/29/2013
  Q: The major military operations, battles and campaigns, land and sea, of the Spanish American War. ...
  A: Even though the U.S. won the war fairly easily, there were many weaknesses in the military, ...
202nd engineer combat bat.11/17/2013
  Q: My dad was a member of 202nd at time of discharge. What action did the 202nd see and on his ...
  A: It appears the 202nd landed at Normandy on D-Day and took part in many actions in France and Germany ...
WWII10/5/2013
  Q: My Father (Benito V. Rubio) served in WWII. He entered the in 1942 -1945. His DD214 says his unit ...
  A: Sorry to be just answering this, but I didn't get the usual email from ALLExperts till last night. ...
Corporal Douglas Aelian Diamond, WWI9/4/2013
  Q: I am researching family history, and am interested in knowing more about my great grand uncle, ...
  A: You want to try to get his official military records, which would contain info on his awards and ...
US Army Patch8/28/2013
  Q: Can you please provide the History and meaning of the 4th Armored Emblem.
  A: I found this description on the 4th Armoured Historical site: ...
World War I7/20/2013
  Q: Mr. Marc Leepson, I was trying to find out where this man would have been buried and some about his ...
  A: I don't have any info on the unit. I have some suggestions, though. Have you tried looking up his ...
What do all of these abreviations stand for?7/16/2013
  Q: I have a WWI Draft Card listing U.S. Private Cavalry. I have another source regarding the same ...
  A: Draft cards do not usually list a person's rank or unit. What you have must be something else. ...
World War II, Europe6/15/2013
  Q: On my dad's discharge papers line 32 has the following: "GO 33 & 40 WD 45 Rhineland Central ...
  A: I'm not familiar with these abbreviations. 40 WD 45 could refer to the years 1940-45, but that's a ...
Father's WWII Service5/31/2013
  Q: My father served in the 3546th Ordnance Medium Auto Maintenance Co. in Normandy-Northern ...
  A: You can try to get a copy of his Military Personnel Record from National Archives. There's a good ...
2059th Q..M>, New Guinea5/9/2013
  Q: I am researching information about this squadron and it's operation in New Guinea in 1944. I have ...
  A: I have several suggestions. First, you should try to get your relative's official military ...
Alcan highway4/27/2013
  Q: I am researching my great uncle, Glen P Christianson, caucasion. He worked on the Alcan highway.Born ...
  A: Glad you know about the procedures for getting military personnel records. Sorry, but I didn't see ...
WWI4/22/2013
  Q: Leepson, I have this form that was filled out by my great uncle after he served in WWI. Would you ...
  A: A wagoneer was someone who drove a horse-pulled wagon--in other words, the modern equivalent of a ...
Vietnam War4/10/2013
  Q: Hope you don't mind me picking your brain. I've been doing some research about the Vietnam War and ...
  A: All of your question are good. On the other hand, entire books have been written about each of the ...
Plaque Inquiry3/4/2013
  Q: Sir, Need your knowledge about this plaque. Thank you.
  A: I have no special knowledge about this. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a replica of one that was ...
draft in Viet Nam War2/4/2013
  Q: Marc, I'm doing some research as I'm writing about our marriage and the birth of our two sons. They ...
  A: It looks like the marriage deferment during the Vietnam War era began in September of 1963 and ended ...
NY's 79th Regiment Co. E (May to Dec. 61) Co. D thereafter until1/26/2013
  Q: I overheard a story last Memorial Day at Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn,NY during a memorial ...
  A: I am not a Civil War expert, but I did a bit of searching, including on two huge on-line newspaper ...
Theron A Corliss1/23/2013
  Q: My grandfather served during WW2 with the 401st Engineer Combat Battalion out of Ft Devens Mass. ...
  A: Try this website for the 401st: ...
Unit awards for MAG-11 and MAG-121/8/2013
  Q: Leepson, I am a Marine veteran of the Vietnam War, I served with H&MS-12, MAG-12 between August 1965 ...
  A: I recommend you contact the USMC History Division. The web site is www.history.usmc.mil If you ...
Grand army of Republic and Civil War12/28/2012
  Q: My grandmother gave me some military stuff I want more info on and an approximate value. The first ...
  A: The value of all of these depends on the condition of the items. You need to take them to an antique ...
WWII12/4/2012
  Q: Marc, Can you tell me the reason for the primary continual conflict between the British and the ...
  A: It is true that England and Germany were imperialist rivals on a global scale before World War II, ...
Searching for Childhood Friend11/23/2012
  Q: I do apologize for not being completely accurate on my question yesterday. Brigadier General Dyer ...
  A: That makes it a bit easier. But only a bit. All U.S. military records are held by the National ...
Seeking Childhood Friend11/23/2012
  Q: Greeting Marc. I hope you can help me locate a childhood friend of mine who's always been on my my ...
  A: I know the process for searching for veterans of the U.S. military, but have never looked into ...
Military Helmet Identification11/21/2012
  Q: I saw that you have a very unique nack for military items - and I was hoping you could help me ...
  A: It looks like a helmet liner, post WWII. Here's a good description from Wikipedia with details on ...
WWII Navy11/14/2012
  Q: I have a relative that service in WWII in the Navy. His rate and rank are AS V-6 he served on the ...
  A: Doing a little research, I found that V-6 during WWII was a designation for someone who volunteered ...
Military Police Company11/11/2012
  Q: Sir, My father was in a MP Company at Fort Custer Michigan during WW II. I have not been able to ...
  A: I don't have any special knowledge about that unit. I would suggest you contact the Army Center of ...
1950s container11/2/2012
  Q: while demolishing and old ww1 warehouse/bombshelter i came across a 1950's sealed container with a ...
  A: Sorry, but this isn't in my area of expertise. All I can tell you is that this looks very much like ...
No One Gets Left Behind10/22/2012
  Q: Just wondering if you know the history/ origin of the military phrase "No One Gets Left Behind" I ...
  A: Sorry to say I don't have any special knowledge on the origins of the phrase. I believe it's always ...
Uniform Identification10/9/2012
  Q: I found this in my grandmother's things years ago after her death have only now rediscovered it. I ...
  A: While I'm not an expert on uniforms, it appears as though this is a late 19th century Army cavalry ...
Hitler/Three Stooges8/21/2012
  Q: I hope you can help me with this, but several years ago I read an obscure urban legend that Adolf ...
  A: I've never heard this before. I did a little checking and it appears that Moe's portrayal of Hitler ...
US Communications Corp New Guinea 1942-19458/12/2012
  Q: My father was a technical sergeant in the US Army based in New Guinea and the Philippines in ...
  A: As a direct descendant, you should be eligible to get a copy of your father's service record, which ...
alternative history7/30/2012
  Q: In the cold war you know how the US didn't like communist right? So when the Soviet union and China ...
  A: The Soviet Union and China strongly supported N. Vietnam in the American war with arms, material and ...
Beauregard VS McClellan at Gettysburg?6/22/2012
  Q: Ltc. Lynn, In your opinion, what would the outcome of the battle of Gettysburg had been if ...
  A: What ifs are fun if all but meaningless. But if you held me feet first from a tenth-floor window and ...
Military Photo6/10/2012
  Q: Attached is a photo that was found among my parents belongings when they passed. Can you tell ...
  A: I know a little bit about military uniforms, but not enough, sorry to say, to identify this group. ...
Grandfather's military service-WW 16/1/2012
  Q: I am looking for info on my grandfather's service in WW 1. I have a "bad" copy of his discharge ...
  A: I can confirm that there was a fire at the St. Louis center and many personnel records were lost. ...
war children heroics5/17/2012
  Q: For my class of 5-13yrs old, could you share with me any stories of children that served in any army ...
  A: The youngest children I am aware of are young teen-agers, in the 14-16 year old category, who served ...
Belgium World War 15/6/2012
  Q: What role did Belgium play in World War 1? What was their impact in the war?
  A: Belgium was overrun by Germany at the start of World War I. Although greatly outnumbered, the ...
Military Badge4/26/2012
  Q: I recently acquired this badge. I have not been able to idenify it. I have enclosed a photo of front ...
  A: I'm not an expert on badges and military insignia, but I know a bit about the subject and did some ...
korea military academy medal4/10/2012
  Q: i found this medal in my back yard, hoping you would be able to tell me more about it, looked for ...
  A: Sorry, I don't have a clue, either. You might want to try contacting one of the Korean War veterans ...
Vietnam Draft4/2/2012
  Q: My first question is specific to the draft into the US Military during the Vietnam war. However I ...
  A: You could be rejected from the Vietnam War draft for many reasons. If you provided the sole support ...
AAA SEARCH LTS +3/27/2012
  Q: My Dad was in a AAA Bn during WWII, did a Bn have its own search lights? Or was that a seperate ...
  A: I do not know for certain and I couldn't find anything in the reference books I have here. My guess ...
WWI medical picture3/26/2012
  Q: I believe this picture to be from WWI but I would like any information possible about it, where it ...
  A: It's difficult to see any uniforms in this photo, but it looks like it could very well be of WWI ...
Army Capt. Thomas E. Griffith3/24/2012
  Q: My grandfather was assigned to the 4th Motor Mechanics Regiment from Dec. 18, 1917 to July 18. 1918. ...
  A: Not sure I can be of much help, since I would have suggested you get his official records from the ...
Military footlookers3/13/2012
  Q: My father retired an officer in 1966 after 31 years of service. I have his "metal" footlocker and ...
  A: All I can tell you about this subject is my experience being in the Army from 1967-69. Footlockers ...
Need help identifying era of a dogtag2/28/2012
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me ID the era of this dogtag as well as any other info you could ...
  A: Although I'm no expert on dog tags, I do have my own Army dog tag from the Vietnam War and can tell ...
D-Day + 12/16/2012
  Q: Several months before his death, my father wept about his beach landing, which he said was D-Day + ...
  A: As I am not an expert on WWII history, I would suggest you check with the Army Center of Military ...
James Heffran2/16/2012
  Q: There exists a tombstone with a name on it as James Heffran, 303rd AAF Bomb Grp, that show date of ...
  A: I would check his Army records. All of those records are held at the National Archives Military ...
Vietnam war2/15/2012
  Q: when did the Vietnam war start
  A: Although the U.S. sent military advisers to South Vietnam in 1954 and the first American service ...
Battle of Thermopylae2/15/2012
  Q: I'm doing a Historical Investigation for my IB History class and my Research Question that I came up ...
  A: I am not an expert on the ancient Greek wars. I can tell you, though, that the general historical ...
Bengal Light Infantry Item2/7/2012
  Q: I recently acquired this item and I am not really sure what it is. It reminds me of a belt buckle ...
  A: I'm not an expert on the Indian and British armies, so I can't give you any advice along those ...
gun relic2/4/2012
  Q: I dug this up near Vimy Ridge in France. It's 10.25 inches long and is clearly the trigger and ...
  A: That said, I can only guess about the type and nationality. There just isn't much to go on, other ...
post civil war2/1/2012
  Q: i have a picture of my ancestor.he is wearing a U.S military uniform,but i don't what era it is from ...
  A: Could very well be--or the Philippine War (1898-1902) or actions the U.S. took in Haiti, Nicaragua ...
World War II1/27/2012
  Q: How was America effected economically during the war? Was America impacted demographically? How did ...
  A: The answers to the first four questions are extremely complex. There is not enough space here even ...
daughter of a veitnam vetran1/27/2012
  Q: My father died 5 years ago and in his will it stated that he had 4 children. There are only 3 of us ...
  A: I would suggest that you contact one of the Amerasian groups in this country that work to unite ...
Tanks during and between World War One and Two1/23/2012
  Q: I have a question regarding the revolution, reaction, and reform the innovation and introduction the ...
  A: Here are the sources I'd suggest: Tank Versus Tank by Kenneth Macksey (1991), a good introduction ...
War of 1812 uniforms1/22/2012
  Q: Mr. Leepson, Ripley's Brigade at the Battle of Lundy's Lane 25 July 1814 featured four (4) of his ...
  A: I don't have any specialized knowledge about uniform insignia in wars other than the Vietnam War. ...
WWI1/21/2012
  Q: A friend is endeavoring to document the life and work of an artist whom we both knew many years ago. ...
  A: I have looked in several reference books and on line and could not find anything on Company B. I ...
Texas Confederate Uniforms1/18/2012
  Q: I have read research that shows that, until 1865, the Confederate armies were fairly well-equipped ...
  A: I am not an expert on this subject. However, I believe that John Coski, the historian at the ...
Vietnam draft1/9/2012
  Q: Was being married and having a child a legal deference from the draft during the Vietnam time? I ...
  A: Yes, being married and having children helped get you out of the draft. Although married men and ...
Normandy invasion1/3/2012
  Q: Leepson, You can offer one or two quintessential books on the D-Day invasion? It seems there are so ...
  A: If I had to chose just two, I would recommend John Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to ...
Military Pins12/30/2011
  Q: I was wondering if you could identify these pins for me. I moved into a home and these were left by ...
  A: The "U.S." pin is the insignia that Army officers and enlisted personnel wear on their right collar ...
pacific war ww212/29/2011
  Q: I am trying to still grasp the events of that time and theatre of war...it seemed too script written ...
  A: All very good points, and I would need a chapter in a book to begin to address them. I believe that ...
Special Forces Service in Vietnam12/9/2011
  Q: My husband was in the Special Forces and says he was in Vietnam from 4/66 to 3/67. He gives details ...
  A: Two options: get a copy of your husband's 201 File (which would contain all of his orders & should ...
Military Uniform ID11/23/2011
  Q: Can you tell me what war this uniform was from, what branch of the military and if the other photos ...
  A: This is my answer that I thought I sent: I'm almost certain they are not dress uniforms. And they ...
6 men in military uniform11/19/2011
  Q: This photo is I assume of the same man in the formal military photograph along with his companions. ...
  A: I'm almost certain they are not dress uniforms. And they appear to be Army unis. But I'm not an ...
John Ericcson in U.S. Military History10/29/2011
  Q: Who is John Ericsson in the context of U.S. Military History, and what significant roles did he ...
  A: Ericcson was a Swedish-born engineer and inventor. In this country he designed the USS Princeton in ...
casualties in battle of the bulge10/15/2011
  Q: Most publications put deaths at approximately 19,000. The Green Book, published by the Office of ...
  A: The source I would recommend is The Oxford Companion to American Military History. The entry on the ...
Uniform question10/8/2011
  Q: Can you identify the uniform in the photo? It was sent to me by a cousin whose 92 year old mother ...
  A: Robin, I am really not expert at identifying uniforms--other than in the Vietnam War. May I suggest ...
Civil War9/21/2011
  Q: I am sending you a photo of my Great grandfather in his uniform. The problem I am having is what ...
  A: My first thought is that he could have served in both the Army and Navy. That wasn't unheard of. I ...
WWII German Tanks9/4/2011
  Q: Leepson, I am doing some research on WWII tanks, specifically the Panther and Tiger tanks and their ...
  A: Here are some reference and history books I'd recommend: Murdock: Here's a quick list of books ...
WWI8/29/2011
  Q: I asked a question earlier about WWI. This is just a continuation of that question. I couldn't ...
  A: No, I couldn't find anything about tank casualties. Sorry. For individual battles, you would have ...
WWI8/26/2011
  Q: I have been researching World War I, specifically the affect the tank has had on the war after it ...
  A: Here's hoping I come up with something! I have a few thoughts about where to look... Now that I'm ...
books8/23/2011
  Q: can you recommned any good books on the history of the us military
  A: That's an extremely broad subject. There are good histories of each of the services and good ...
uniform id8/20/2011
  Q: I need help identifying this us military uniform. the photo is either my great grandfather ...
  A: If I had to guess (and it is a guess), I'd say your great grandfather, because this appears to be ...
Green Berets in 1967-688/19/2011
  Q: I recently saw a story about a guy who entered the Army in 1967. He attended Basic Training and ...
  A: This was not only possible, it happened all the time. And I've known and read about others who had ...
First Print of The Official Record of the War Books8/5/2011
  Q: I have the FIRST PRINT of the "Official Record of the War of Rebellion" books. I am trying to find ...
  A: The standard Official Record (the "OR") wasn't published till late in the 19th century, so I am ...
How to find a WW2 Veteran7/29/2011
  Q: A friend of mine, Dave Carlstedt, was wounded by German sniper fire near Aachen during the Battle of ...
  A: That's a difficult one. The military only will allow spouses or heirs to check official records. ...
dog tag7/20/2011
  Q: He probably got it with some stuff at a garage sale or something. It's not a family name. I'm trying ...
  A: It doesn't sound like a typical military dog tag. And it's a puzzle why some info would be x'ed out. ...
post civil war7/20/2011
  Q: I have been researching my wife's g-g-grandfather who served during the first year of the civil ...
  A: I have a few ideas about this, but am checking with some folks who know about this aspect of the ...
65th ADA WWII pin7/15/2011
  Q: I have come across a collection of military pins and insignia, but I don't know what kind of pin ...
  A: I did a bit of research. The unit is 65TH AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY. And the animal is an ocelot. It ...
Spanish American War Hat?7/11/2011
  Q: I am hoping that you can help me to identify a hat that I have in my possession.I purchased this hat ...
  A: Sorry, but I have no expertise in this area. I would suggest, though, that you do an Internet ...
Bronze Star Award6/30/2011
  Q: Sir, My son recently discovered the attached medals thrown away by a dumpster in our area. We were ...
  A: I'm assuming you did a Google search on the man's name. That would be my first step. The military ...
7th Field Hospital6/10/2011
  Q: I am intested in knowing about this unit while it was stationed in France during WWII. I am also ...
  A: I couldn't find the info you are looking for in the reference books on my shelf. I can offer two ...
101st Airborne-Vietnam5/26/2011
  Q: Marc... I am a fellow 'expert' on this board, and served in the Army 1970-71. I am attempting to ...
  A: Al, My first thought is to check with the 101st Airborne Association. It's one of the better ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Marc Leepson

Top Expert on this page