Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Michael O'Reagan

SubjectDate Asked
German WW2-part3/17/2017
  Q: Can you tell me what this is? I was told it was stolen from the Germans in Narvik (Norway) during ...
  A: I'll give you me best educated guess as I've seen many apertures like this in the past, its a ranger ...
rings10/23/2016
  Q: I have 2 rings -I think they are both WW II air corp rings -one is sterling with eagles on each ...
  A: let me see what I can help you with here. The two rings are examples of rings that were very popular ...
Nazi marked luger7/24/2016
  Q: I bought a luger at a pawn shop a few months ago. It was painted and upon scrubbing the paint off, I ...
  A: let me answer that for you, I would need pictures but more than likely, yes its real. Those nazi ...
WWI Prussian Civilian Medal?7/21/2016
  Q: My grandparents recently moved into a new home and I found this small medal that had been left ...
  A: I believe you have discovered exactly what it is. During WWI many items like this were made to show ...
Identifying shoulder patches, tabs, and insignia fromWW26/9/2016
  Q: My grandfather will not talk about WW2. I'm trying to find out about his service. I might be able to ...
  A: from the 1st picture, I can tell you that the patch on the left shoulder is a Constabulary ...
US Navy ribbon3/14/2016
  Q: My grandfather served aboard the USS Indiana during WWII. I have his military ribbon. Can you tell ...
  A: there are three ribbons, the blue on is for the American Campaign. ...
10th and 112th Repl Depot WW II2/28/2016
  Q: My father was stationed in England working the Railway systems, he was discharged under the 3615th ...
  A: I will help you as best I can, the one picture you show has a gentleman on the bicycle, the patch on ...
America Combat Badge Ww22/23/2016
  Q: I sent two questions to an expert on the site however received the same worded reply and then 'Maxed ...
  A: Ok, what you are referring to is the CIB, Combat Infantryman Badge which was awarded to any ...
Campaign Ribbon11/18/2015
  Q: Afternoon, I'm Connie and I work for Commando Military Supply and I help with the special orders ...
  A: you would use a European Campaign ribbon and one star denoting the Rhineland campaign. No official ...
Imperial Germany bayonet7/17/2015
  Q: This bayonet has a 2 piece handle and is long and slim. I've found some history on this type of ...
  A: made with or without a sawback.From your diagrm it was made by Weyersberg Kirschenbam & Solingen ...
Identification of US military insignia4/21/2015
  Q: We are trying to find out information regarding my husband's father whom we have been led to believe ...
  A: I cant tell which unit/divisions they belong to, soldier #5 is a Lieutenant in the US Army Soldier ...
Texas Army Cavalry4/16/2015
  Q: Could you tell me if this is an authentic piece? ...
  A: you answered your own question. Texas Army Cavalry, if it existed,(which it didn't) would have been ...
korean medals4/12/2015
  Q: I have currently been passed down medals/ pins from my uncle. He sadly passed awY and never gave me ...
  A: one National Defense Ribbon, one Armored Cavalry enlisted collar disc along with an enlisted US ...
1800's Army Button Found4/10/2015
  Q: I just got back from a trip with my family traveling the Oregon Trail. We stopped at Fort Laramie ...
  A: it is a Civil War era General Service coat button. Adopted in 1854 and discontinued post Civil War, ...
Remington Rand M1911 A112/28/2014
  Q: My name is Kody Foote. I have recently come into possession of a Remington Rand M1911 A1. The serial ...
  A: that is a fantastic example. If you are looking to sell that particular piece I can assure you that ...
USMC Swagger Stick12/21/2014
  Q: Attached are some pictures of a USMC Swagger Stick. Can you tell me if it is authentic or how I can ...
  A: I believe it is an authentic item, Circa 1940s by the style of the EGA, I'm not positive but I ...
WW2 division patches12/18/2014
  Q: My name is Aaron Johnson, I've recently been doing some research on a bunch of WW2 documents, ...
  A: It is very possible and most likely that he was transferred for a temporary time to the 69th to ...
Identifying U.S. Army ring11/3/2014
  Q: While I was going through some of my late grandfathers possessions, I came across a 10k gold army ...
  A: It looks to be a standard WWII Era Army privately purchased ring. Usually you see rings in gold for ...
Question about Service Stars9/17/2014
  Q: My grandfather requested his decorations from the Air Force about 15 years ago. They sent a plain ...
  A: I was away on vacation so I apologize for the delay in responding. Your American Campaign medal will ...
Decoration and citations WWII9/3/2014
  Q: My father, Harry Bates Price Jr., was awarded an EAME Ribbon, Air Medal GO 87 Hq TAC 26 Nov 44, ...
  A: let me help you with this question, you would have to secure his records, his DD-214 from the ...
Marine Corps Button8/22/2014
  Q: I have old US Marine Corps button made by D. Evans of Attleboro, MA. The button is 7/8-inch ...
  A: Being a blackened button tells me that it is more than likely a WWI vintage but D Evans made buttons ...
Military lapel button7/17/2014
  Q: Can u give me information about the lapel button issued to my father Pfc Clinton W. Atkinson listed ...
  A: I could use a picture of the button as far as the ASR score it is the "Advanced Service Rating" to ...
ss wikings rings7/15/2014
  Q: i recently got a ring from a friend who said she got it from her husband who had served in the US ...
  A: Although the ring looks wonderful, detailing and highly polished, sadly most of these are 1960s ...
US Pins4/27/2014
  Q: Here are a few pins I recently acquired. The pins on the right I believe are Army Air Corps pins but ...
  A: Ok on the three air corps pins, one is a "domed" variety, 1960s or 1930s, the other is a WWII hollow ...
Germany Pin4/27/2014
  Q: I bought this pin at an auction with a box lot of other generic round us pins. I can not seem to ...
  A: Ok, that is a US ribbon for Occupation. The medal with accompanying ribbon (that you have) was given ...
Identify a Medal3/1/2014
  Q: Can you please identify this medal? What organization it belongs to, the age, and an approximate ...
  A: If I am not mistaken it looks like a post war piece of fashion jewelry. You see it with many ...
marine raider/Canadian stiletto2/12/2014
  Q: I have what I believe(through internet searches)to be a marine raider or Canadian paratrooper ...
  A: what you have is what they call the "Marine Raider knife". The easiest way to tell is the cast ...
ww2 german item2/6/2014
  Q: iam having trouble identifying this item. I have had several people look at it but nobody seems to ...
  A: I've only seen a few in years past but nothing I can direct you to specifically, just general ...
Sons in Service1/13/2014
  Q: Michael, Have a Sons in Service pin that I've never had before. There is a small blue star in a ...
  A: Typically KIA "gold stars" would be gold with blue border. I'm not sure if that is some sort of ...
US Military uniform question1/5/2014
  Q: My family came across some old family pictures when my great grandmother passed away. we have been ...
  A: judging on the first picture, he was in the mounted cavalry, cannot make out clearly enough what ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Michael O'Reagan

Top Expert on this page