Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Paul Sutton

SubjectDate Asked
69th Armor/ 69th Armored Field Artillery3/1/2017
  Q: I'm doing a news-letter and received a newspaper article about a WWll vet who served who served with ...
  A: Greeting Glad to help. The 69th Armor Battalion was part of the 1st and then 6th Armored Division ...
Bullet or projectile??12/21/2016
  Q: I am not sure which person to ask so here goes. I found this in a box left by my late uncle. It is ...
  A: Greetings Your shell is very old but is similar to a 37mm round used in the Bofors 37mm anti tank ...
Abkomm-Kammer Film12/16/2016
  Q: I have just come across your post about the abkomm-kammer film and was wondering if you still have ...
  A: Greetings I am sorry to say I never had the film. Jason and Crissy owned the film. I did suggest ...
Identify parts12/8/2016
  Q: Can you please help me identify these pieces in the links below for me? I think that they are tank ...
  A: Greetings The first image is a breech block but not sure what type of weapon. It could be for a ...
WWI12/4/2016
  Q: My wife's grandfather, Herman W. Kasch 3184104, served in the US ARMY during WWI as a wagoneer in ...
  A: Greetings I have been unable to find anything in my library but there are always possibilities. ...
50 caliber MG11/29/2016
  Q: According to my father, my grandfather worked at Westinghouse in Pittsburgh PA during WWII. ...
  A: Mike Greetings I have been unable to find any specific information on the rifling tooling you ...
New Zealand Armored Corps Weapons11/21/2016
  Q: Could you tell me what the NZAC used in ww2?
  A: Greetings The NZAC used a mix of British and American made equipment. New Zealand did attempt to ...
Douglas MacArthur as Europe's WW2 Supreme Commander9/8/2016
  Q: Sir, This is an 'counter factual history question, how do you think General Douglas MacArthur ...
  A: Greetings Now that is a fun question. MacArthur would have done very well in Europe for a number ...
Stalingrad Relief Column8/29/2016
  Q: Hey Paul: Recently, watched a show on American Heroes Channel (AHC). Episode was part of the ...
  A: Greetings General Erhard Raus from Austria was a tank command in the German Army World War 2. He ...
hiroshima7/20/2016
  Q: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It is almost August ...
  A: Greetings You make some very good points. The US and its allies treated Japanese POWs according to ...
ANZIO ANNIE CASUALTIES FOUND7/13/2016
  Q: I found the answer but am confused, I found the answer by looking up Anzio Express. It says: The ...
  A: Greetings German casualties were the result of shell fire, air attacks, artillery, rifle, mortar ...
ANZIO ANNIE CASUALTIES FOUND7/12/2016
WWII Weapons7/6/2016
  Q: Oops...One additional question....Would my dad have carried a pistol? Thanks,
  A: Greetings If he was a driver he would carry either a M1911 pistol or a M-1 Carbine. The M-1 Carbine ...
WWII Weapons7/6/2016
  Q: My father Guiseppe Cimino PFC Company E 2nd Infantry, Auto Rifleman 746 served in Northern France; ...
  A: Greetings Most Riflemen carried the Garand. Some carried the 1903 Springfield but the M-1 Carbine ...
AA guns WWII7/4/2016
  Q: I have 2 questions How many 37 mm aa guns would a chauffeur be responsible for in WWII? I know ...
  A: Greetings The Bofors 40mm was a far superior weapon to the 37mm. It had the same rate of fire but ...
WWII units6/5/2016
  Q: I have been doing family research and found that I had a half-Uncle that served in WWII. On his ...
  A: Greetings The 745 served in Hawaii during much of World War 2. The 245th served in Italy and was a ...
WW2 in the Phillipines5/28/2016
  Q: I am trying to find out the army units that fought in the Philippines that were nearly wiped out ...
  A: Greetings This should help and check out the link below Thank you ...
uncle KIA in WWII5/27/2016
  Q: Mr. Sutton, My aunt's husband was KIA in Europe April 2, 1945. He was in 54th Armored Infantry of ...
  A: Greetings The units involved in the Task Force Baum the rescue mission were part of the 4th Armored ...
D-day4/25/2016
  Q: what is your favorite gun from D-day and why it is your favorite gun?
  A: Greetings Let me tell you my favorites before my final pick. MG-42 Kar 98k Mauser M1 Garand ...
Field Artillery 7th corps World War II4/24/2016
  Q: Looking for my kids grandfather Clare R. Aurand.was at Fort Sill Artillery school.Cpl.on 155mm ...
  A: Greetings I have checked my records and have been unsuccessful in finding any information. ...
Have a question about guns from ww2 and wanted to know more about them.4/20/2016
  Q: What rifles and machine guns did the Americans and British use during World War 2? When were these ...
  A: Greetings For the US Army M1 Garand Semiautomatic Rifle in service 1936 M1 Carbine semiautomatic ...
Magazines and clips4/17/2016
  Q: I was reading about the Lee Enfield rifle. It says it has a 10 round magazine, loaded with a 5 round ...
  A: Greeting I must say a very good question. The Lee Enfield could be loaded with 10 bullets by hand ...
shell description3/29/2016
  Q: i have recently recieved a navy shell.. need more history..9-1900/ EHCL / I-pdrm / F.E.B. with ...
  A: Greetings You a 40mm Bofors antiaircraft shell. A very common US and allied antiaircraft weapon ...
Anti aircraft defense3/20/2016
  Q: I am talking with a friend about security from airplane and bombers invading og bombing. The ...
  A: Greetings A very interesting question. No air defense is perfect. Air Defense is something you ...
German ww2 wooden ammo box3/18/2016
  Q: I wonder if you can tell me what this box was made for. ie ammo for the 20x82 or for gun part's ...
  A: Greetings This is a shipping box for a MG 151 20mm cannon. This was a common World War 2 German ...
military shell3/4/2016
  Q: Could you help identify - the following is what is on the bottom of a brass shell - the bottom is 5 ...
  A: Greetings You have a German pre World War 1 shell for a 10.5 cm artillery piece. The shell casing ...
DD2142/23/2016
  Q: I am in the process to put a paper together on my fathers tour in WWII estimated date of arrival ...
  A: Greetings GO 105 WD 45Ē, stands for General Orders, # 105, War Department, 1945. It is the General ...
Instrments of Surrender2/19/2016
  Q: I was wondering how I could find out where the Japanese Instruments of Surrender were printed. My ...
  A: Greetings You may very be on to something. A man by the name of Leonard J. Scinto an Army Sergeant ...
Unknown projectile2/4/2016
  Q: "Sir, I recently acquired this rocket/mortar model. I do not know if it is a military practice piece ...
  A: Greeting You may have a CS or tear gas canister. If there is a whole on the bottom it may be fired ...
WWII planes1/31/2016
  Q: We recently had the honor of visiting Pearl Harbor and one question I am left with is about the ...
  A: Greetings A very good question. Of the 12 B-17 flying in 1 was shut down the Japanese and 3 others ...
Camp Gordon Post Card1/26/2016
  Q: I have a Camp Gordon Postcard-(A drawing)of Different Buildings)--1942-My Dad was station ...
  A: Greetings Quite a piece of history you have. There are some online auctions sites I have listed ...
ww2 37 mm ammunition1/13/2016
  Q: I am trying to determine if the 37mm canister shell for the American m3 37mm cannon could be fired ...
  A: Greetings Not 100% sure. If the shell would fit into the breach and you could close it most likely ...
Failure of British & American Intelligence 19411/12/2016
  Q: Can you name a book that studies the failure of British & American intelligence in the Philippine ...
  A: Greetings There are 4 books I would highly recommend. Each is listed below as is a link to them on ...
Kriegsmarine12/16/2015
  Q: Did the Nazis build ships in the Mediterranean? If so where? Vichy France? Did the Nazis allow the ...
  A: Greetings Great question. The Nazi didnít have a large naval force in the Mediterranean due to the ...
Savage 720 19" barrel riot gun11/30/2015
  Q: Looking for information on the WWII savage 720 riot gun. who used this gun and what was it used ...
  A: Greetings A very unique weapon. The 720 was used for two activities mainly. One to train ...
Infantry riding on tanks in WWII10/20/2015
  Q: I've been researching my father's service in an Armored Infantry Battalion (Rifle Company) in WWII. ...
  A: Greetings There are several reasons. You can dismount a tank faster than a half track. Not all ...
ammo box10/16/2015
  Q: I have an ammo box with the numbers 1-C445. It also has 2 CTG 105 MM HE M1 & says DUALGRAN on it. ...
  A: Greetings You have an ammunition box for a 105mm artillery piece. The term DUALGRAN indicates ...
Specifics on M2A1 Periscope10/1/2015
  Q: I was digging through some old boxes and stumbled into this gem (Attached pic). From what I've ...
  A: Greetings The condition of your M20A1 is fantastic. That means it may have never been put into a ...
cannon balls9/21/2015
  Q: I have a cannon ball from Puerto Rico. It was found in the country/jungle near the town of Rincon in ...
  A: Greetings You either have a 2 Pounder or 6 pounder cannon ball. This would not have been from the ...
Gunto Katana9/8/2015
  Q: I was recently looking through a nice little antique shop, and I came across an old katana that ...
  A: Greetings I was unable to see the images but from you description machine made sounds right. If ...
Camp Swift 19439/7/2015
  Q: I am looking for info on an outbreak of meningitis at Camp Swift Texas in late March and/or early ...
  A: Greetings These was indeed a meningitis outbreak in April 1943. I found the record of several ...
Bayonet Knife Identification8/26/2015
  Q: Sir, I received this M Series bayonet in this poor condition. There were no grips and no guard on ...
  A: Greetings I would have to say an early model M4. As to the manufacturer not 100% sure but it was ...
Northern Burma Silk map (Orange) and Japanese Flags8/19/2015
  Q: Any information you could give in the map and flags would be greatly appreciated. They have been ...
  A: Greetings You have 2 very important items of history. The Burma map was a map made to help allied ...
PJ Malherbe Cie A Linge8/5/2015
  Q: The screws and plate on this gun has 390 stamped on them along with one side having PJ Malherbe Cie ...
  A: Greetings You may have something very special. You may have a Civil War musket. I would need a ...
Placement of patches on WWII Ike Jacket7/29/2015
  Q: This may be a somewhat obscure questions, but here goes... I'm restoring my father's WWII Ike ...
  A: Greetings The MUC goes on the bottom of the sleeve closest to the hand. I hope this helps and ...
WW II Army Training7/2/2015
  Q: For an in-law, I'm researching his father's army service in World War Two. I have a couple of ...
  A: Greetings Before Pearl harbor basic training was 12 weeks after 1941 this was cut to 6 weeks. ...
WWII - Half Track machine gun6/23/2015
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me identify the model/caliber of the Machine Gun that is mounted ...
  A: Greetings The machine gun in the picture is a Browning M1917A1 .30 Caliber machine gun with a water ...
Idaho6/2/2015
  Q: The battleship USS Idaho was also known as BB-42. What does BB-42 mean? Who decides such things?
  A: Greetings The USS Idaho was the 42nd Battleship built for the US Navy. The USS Indiana or BB-1 was ...
Japan enter WWII5/30/2015
  Q: Why did Japan enter WWII?
  A: Greetings In a word a quest for Power. To understand Japan you have to understand its history ...
Campaign question5/25/2015
  Q: My fathers discharge papers indicates he enlisted June 28, 1943 and released Jan 24, 1946. His ...
  A: Greetings First off GO 105 WD 45 is short for General Order 105 in the year 1945. Which mean the ...
Normandy invasion air cover5/20/2015
  Q: A friend of mine and I were discussing the Normandy invasion as it related to air cover. His premise ...
  A: Greetings There was indeed air cover for the Normandy landings. Over one hundred squadron of ...
WW2 DECAL IDENTIFACTION5/13/2015
  Q: I HAVE WW2 M1 HELMET WITH ON FRONT OF HELMET HAS BLACK BADGE WITH INDIAN CHIEF HEAD IN MIDDLE OF ...
  A: Greetings The badge is symbol of the 2nd Infantry Division. The 2nd Division fought in Europe ...
b17 ww2 airplane5/9/2015
  Q: my dad was in a b17 during 1943 to 1945 the plane was number 7340 . I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE PLANE. ...
  A: Greetings Your fathers B-17G was built by Lockheed Vega. The need for the B-17 far outstripped ...
panzer piece4/24/2015
  Q: I'm trying to ID a piece of armor from the turret, or hull, of a German tank. It looks like possibly ...
  A: Greetings I have not been able to positively identify the tank or vehicle this piece came from. ...
Who developed POZIT fuse4/16/2015
  Q: My dad, Robert L. Henry II (deceased) told me that he worked in a group in the U.S. Army that ...
  A: Greetings I have not found any direct connection between you father and the POZIT fuze in my ...
Interview4/15/2015
  Q: I am a high school senior looking get an interview with someone who is knowledgeable in technology ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help Question 1 I am an aircraft nut. My grandfather on my father's side was a ...
Lee Enfield mistery4/8/2015
  Q: I have an Ishapore 1916 No.1 Mark 3 lee Enfield rifle that I just picked up and I was trying to ...
  A: Greetings There are couple of possibilities One sadly is a fake. Cheap knockoffs are quite ...
German MG423/18/2015
  Q: Good morning, I am attempting to identify the manufacturer of a MG42, 7.62x57. The engraved ...
  A: Greetings Here are some of the codes to look for and their manufacture Maget codes CRA GH(1943) ...
Russian SPG-823/11/2015
  Q: I am currently working on refurbishing a Russian SPG-82 Grenade Launcher and have almost no ...
  A: Greetings A very impressive weapon the SPG-82 or in Russian cr 82. I have been unable to find a ...
King Tiger Tanks2/17/2015
  Q: Sutton, My name is Kevin Vo. I am a student from T.H Rogers doing a research project. I have focused ...
  A: Greetings Question 1 answer The Tiger 2 tank was built to incorporate lessons learned on the ...
Duties & responsibilities2/14/2015
  Q: Could you please explain to me the duties & functions of a Cannon Company in a WWII era infantry ...
  A: Greetings A Cannon Company was a small artillery unit in a division. It was to provide short range ...
Artillary shell casings2/1/2015
  Q: I don't know if you can help answer these or can direct me to who would be able to. I was in the ...
  A: Greetings The second shell is from a Canon de 75 modŤle 1897 also called a French 75. I have ...
ww2 japanese sword1/24/2015
  Q: I have this sword I bought from a man who claimed to have picked it up in japan. He was told it was ...
  A: Greetings When did the man claim to get the sword? Most swords were brought back by Gis mainly ...
ammo boxes1/18/2015
  Q: I have an ammo box that I was curious about. When/where it was used as well as what it might be ...
  A: Greetings You have a box that is a post Vietnam War item, for ammunition used by the M-16. TW ...
U.S. Army WW2 MOS training/unit histories1/13/2015
  Q: Sutton, Hello! I have a couple of questions I could use some help with. My father was in the US ...
  A: Greetings Indeed there was OTJ training in the US Army at that time. Typically a soldier would be ...
Request for Information for PFC James A. Seitz1/8/2015
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I am needing to request information from USAHRC for the below listed Soldier (who was ...
  A: Greetings I am honored to help. I have not been able to locate his serial number but there are a ...
Japanese Kuriles Air Strengths 19421/5/2015
  Q: Sutton, I found this link about the Japanese fortifications and airfields: ...
  A: Greetings Most of the fortifications were built just before and during World War 2. The defenses ...
Bayonet Origin1/3/2015
  Q: I have had a bayonet on my closet shelf for many years and decided to try and determine it's origin. ...
  A: Greetings Indeed you have a a Yugoslavian M1924 bayonet. It looks close to original by a gunsmith ...
Searchlights12/23/2014
  Q: I collect photos on WWII for several years, mainly German. However sometimes i get photos that ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. You can send a photo thru All experts. When you ask a a ...
54th Fighter Squadron WWII12/16/2014
  Q: Sutton, It would appear that I missed a squadron in my previous question. Let me guess the ...
  A: Greetings The 54th didn't receive P-38s until late August or Sept of 1942. So P-40 Warhawks but, ...
11th Airforce12/12/2014
  Q: Sutton, I am looking for accurate information concerning squadrons that were stationed in Alaska ...
  A: Greetings According to my research The 36th flew B-17E models in Alaska. The numbered varied ...
WWI12/9/2014
  Q: What was the tank ammo? I have a project due on Thursday 11,2014 and i can't find what the ammo is, ...
  A: Greetings Tanks were first used in World War One and invented by the British. The first British ...
WW2 shell casing12/8/2014
  Q: I actually don't know what you'd call this - but casing is the best I could come up with. In 1993 I ...
  A: Greetings You indeed have a shell casing. Not sure of the type right now First off it is not ...
Unidentified WWII Equipment found on Guam12/6/2014
  Q: Greetings Mr. Sutton, I am an active duty service member currently stationed on the island of ...
  A: Greetings First I want to thank you for your service. The object is some sort of trailer, but not ...
WWII French Officer's Uniform12/4/2014
  Q: Sutton, I have been conducting research on military uniforms for the WWII era, however I seem to be ...
  A: Greetings French uniforms in many ways did come from World War 1 designs. The enlisted uniforms ...
armored infantry12/2/2014
  Q: What did armored infantry (ex. 36th armored infantry regiment) do in ww2? Provide cover for tanks? ...
  A: Greetings Armored infantry was an attempt to keep infantry up with the tanks. Tanks can take ...
Bayonet or Dagger11/20/2014
  Q: The bayonet-dagger measures 14'' from the tip of the handle to the endpoint on the blade. The blade ...
  A: Greeting This is a a modified rifle bayonet. It is either a M1899C, M1924, or M1924b. You are ...
NV Scope11/17/2014
  Q: This is a follow on question from 2013. I have a friend with a Lewyt Corp. NV scope/mono. It's ...
  A: Greetings Lewyt sold out to another company in the late 1950s so defiantly Korean War vintage. I ...
Great Wall of China Information.11/8/2014
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China The Distance between point a - starting point to b ...
  A: Greetings Horses were used in the past on the road on top, but only for short distances. The wall ...
unknown chest11/1/2014
  Q: I recently acquired this chest at auction. When I first saw it, I thought M-@ chest, because of what ...
  A: Greetings A very interesting find. These targeting systems were used with 2 artillery pieces. The ...
WW2 Jew Community10/31/2014
  Q: How did the US help the Jews in WW2 (Europe) after claiming victory over the Nazis?
  A: Greetings The quick answer is quite a story. Many of the Jews had no homes to return to and those ...
Japanese artillery and spigot mortar locations / Okinawa10/13/2014
  Q: Sutton, Here is my question (s). Is there a map which identifies the locations of the 24 320 mm ...
  A: Greetings I have checked my resources and found no specific maps of the locations for the Spigot ...
Ammo crate ID10/5/2014
  Q: I have acquired an old wooden ammo crate and I am having trouble deciphering the ID and lot number. ...
  A: I have acquired an old wooden ammo crate and I am having trouble deciphering the ID and lot number. ...
Info on rifle9/21/2014
  Q: I inherited a .243 Musgrave rifle. For the last 20 years if been wondering about the marking on the ...
  A: Greetings Your rifle might be a rebuilt k98 Mauser. This was most likely a World War 2 K98 rebuilt ...
B17 defense9/19/2014
  Q: I was wondering if WW2 B17s flying over Germany could have defended themselves by deploying special ...
  A: Greetings An interesting idea a cross between and AC-130 and a B-17. The US Army Air Force did have ...
Old wooden military? canteen.8/24/2014
  Q: I purchased this wooden canteen in Greensburg, PA, in the early 1980s. It was allegedly a military ...
  A: Greetings It is possible a soldier used this canteen but without markings finding the type may be ...
My Dad8/12/2014
  Q: Do you have any information on my Dad, what he went through in his trek? His name was Leland Harris ...
  A: Greeting I donít have anything specific as to your father in my records, but I might be able to shed ...
Anzio Annie8/6/2014
  Q: I've seen two pics of Annie one has a clean barrel and the other one looks like the barrel has been ...
  A: Greetings In an effort to make the K5 barrels last and keep up the accuracy reinforcement was used ...
convoy8/1/2014
  Q: Dad was in the 1850th Command Unit out Camp Chaffee out of Ft Smith Ark. He was a truck driver for ...
  A: Here it is again Thank you Greetings It is an honor to help. First off the route would be planned ...
Sequence of off loading during ivasions Med WWII8/1/2014
  Q: I have a question regarding the sequence of off loading LST's during the Algerian, Sicilian, ...
  A: Greetings Tanks and other heavy machines were typically landed by LST or Landing Ship Tank. LST ...
Lens Cone (For type k-22 camera) trunk7/6/2014
  Q: I was doing some research on Lens Cone (For type k-22 camera) trunks and came across this webpage: ...
  A: Greetings I have seen prices for the lens cone from 30 to 50 dollars up on EBay. Sadly due to the ...
AAA Ksserin Pass7/4/2014
  Q: My Father was in the 1o6th CA AAA he enlisted in 39 and was at Camp Hulen all of 41 and trained with ...
  A: Greetings Antiaircraft units were normally undermanned due to the waning state of the Luftwaffe and ...
Bockscar&Enola Gay crew7/3/2014
  Q: I came across your answer about Enora Gay and Bockscar crew. According to the answer, Mr. Van Kirk ...
  A: Greetings Van Kirk is the last survivor of the attack on Hiroshima. I found an article about him in ...
WWII Anzio Annie7/2/2014
  Q: Did the gun have to move back into the railroad tunnel to be reloaded. I think there were two guns ...
  A: Greetings The Krupp K5 rail guns were indeed named Robert and Leopold by the Germans, but are known ...
star shell flares -colorof light6/23/2014
  Q: I am the gaffer on a film which includes a battle scene from world war two. we would like to have ...
  A: Greetings An honor to help. First what is firing the flare? Normally a Flare gun or Very pistol is ...
Military qualifications on Discharge papers6/18/2014
  Q: I have recently come to possess several items that were my father's. I came across his WWII ...
  A: Greetings You are correct in your observation. As to S Carbine it means satisfactory with the M-1 ...
WW2 Headstone decipher - My Uncle6/1/2014
  Q: My uncles headstone has puzzled me for many years. See attached. He died in southern France in ...
  A: Greetings There was a Battalion called the 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment History. It is ...
WW II in France 19445/25/2014
  Q: My sister has just bought a holiday home in northern France. She would like to know when "her" area ...
  A: Greetings In August and September of 1944 the Canadian 1st Army was given the task of liberating the ...
Arisaka Rifle5/24/2014
  Q: For insurance purposes, I'm hoping to find the value of an Arisaka bolt action rifle that I ...
  A: Greetings You have a very unusual Typ99. Do you know when your Grandfather serviced in the ...
Knife5/17/2014
  Q: My husband inherited two knives from his great grandfather and we can't find any information on the ...
  A: Greetings You have a DRK knife also called a German Red Cross Hewer. This was a blade given to ...
Naval Bombardment - sustainability5/13/2014
  Q: I am working on a WWII Naval game and have been looking all over the net for reliable information ...
  A: Greetings The Iowa had 200 rounds in turret 1 and 3 and 240 rounds in turret 2. With a firing rate ...
Grenade5/9/2014
  Q: I have a questionÖ my father recently passed away and when my mom and I were going through some of ...
  A: Greetings More than likely you have a practice grenade, but it may be live. I would take a picture ...
Army Nurse Corps4/29/2014
  Q: My mother served in the ANC from 1942, 1948 and 1952 released from Service. She was a 1st Lt and ...
  A: Greetings You can purchase medals from several websites. EBay and Amazon.com have several. I have ...
French Military Patches4/23/2014
  Q: Paul, I found these patches and the closest I think I've gotten is that they are wool, WWII & ...
  A: Greetings I have had no success in find out anything on your patches. I donít have a large data ...
spies4/10/2014
  Q: Atomic bomb information was given to the Soviets by Jewish people. What do you think was their ...
  A: Greetings Sadly many people turned to communism. Some for economic reason, others for revenge and ...
Mauser k98-294/2/2014
  Q: almost own hunting rifle Mauser K 98-29. I'm interested in year carbines, estimate age or any ...
  A: Greetings The K98-29 models were built in Czechoslovakia in the mid 1930s for the Persian Army. I ...
WD AGO Form 53-553/5/2014
  Q: My daddy (H Kenneth Diehl) has long since passed (1996) and he never would discuss his time in WWII. ...
  A: Greetings It is an honor to help. The 449th bomber squadron was a medium bomber group; meaning it ...
Tracking father-in-law's WW2 battles2/22/2014
  Q: My father-in-law (Stanley Hauck)was assigned to Company K 328 Infantry during WW2. According to his ...
  A: Greeting One of the best places to start is the division your father in law served in. I have ...
WW2 1st Cavalry Div. occupation duties/MOS duties2/15/2014
  Q: Hello! I have a question that relates to my fathers service in WW2. I have had very little luck and ...
  A: Greetings It is an honor to help. If your father kept his intelligence hat when he worked with the ...
WW2? Magazine2/13/2014
  Q: I was wondering if you could identify which weapon and country used this magazine? It was found in ...
  A: Greetings From the information I have these are magazines either to a Breda M1935 PF rifle, a ...
WWII medal1/13/2014
  Q: I have a medal I am trying to identify. It appears to bronze in color, looks like wide cross. On the ...
  A: Greetings You have a World War II Cross of Military Service medal. It was given to soldiers who ...
42nd rainbow Div.1/9/2014
  Q: My father (Robert Roys) was in the 42nd Rainbow Div, 232 inf, Company I. APO4 11 Until just about a ...
  A: Greetings I have not found anything in my records on I company. I would check the below web sites. ...
wwII12/29/2013
  Q: European Theater. 1. Why didn't allied forces drop arms into the forests where partisans were ...
  A: Greetings The Allies did support resistance movements in Europe. First the British and then the ...
ammo box12/25/2013
  Q: I have an ammuntion box for howitzer m2a1, m2a2, m103 and m137. The lot number is pb-10-3. I was ...
  A: Greetings You have a box for 105mm ammunition. The US Army used 105mm as artillery as late as the ...
Strange rocket/missile.12/22/2013
  Q: Hallo, I found this image in a website. Its a picture taken by Molhem Barakat. I have no clue what ...
  A: Greetings What is in the picture is a LOB bomb also called an improvised Rocket Assisted ...
I think I have a ww2 Japanese officer dagger wanting to know if it is real or fake12/19/2013
  Q: I have what I believe to be a ww2 Japanese officer dagger and would like to know if You could look ...
  A: Greetings One question, how long is the blade? If it is 30 cementers or less it is a Tanto blade. ...
6inch naval shell11/21/2013
  Q: I have a shell with the markings ""6 inch 47 cal MK4 NS6 1944 JRD lot 743" surrounding the primer ...
  A: Greeting The MK 4 on your shell casing refers to Cartridge Case Type and meant it had a full charge ...
CIB/Armor11/12/2013
  Q: In 1967 I was trained as an 11C (mortar)at Ft. MC Clellan AL, from there I went to OCS (Armor) at Ft ...
  A: Greetings You are part of a small group, but some Armor Offices and enlisted did get CIB for their ...
Old Ammo Box11/6/2013
  Q: My husband just purchased an old box that says, "Ammunition for Cannon with Explosive Projectile." ...
  A: Greeting I have seen c697 before; it is ammunition for a M30 Mortar. So you have a 1984 box that ...
the days leading to Normandy10/27/2013
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I am writing a fiction novel set in World War 2, and the Battle of Normandy is, of ...
  A: Greetings The US and its allies had thousands of troops all over the world not just at Normandy. ...
Ww2 Japanese bayonet10/7/2013
  Q: I bought a bayonet at a gun show and I would like to learn a little more about it. It was produced ...
  A: Greetings You have a Type 30 Bayonet for a Type 99 rifle. Our bayonet was a late war production ...
WW2 Bases8/17/2013
  Q: You may have been asked this before but probably not for this reason, LOL. I'm a wannabe author ...
  A: Greetings For Japan the main naval bases were in Japan at Kure and Maizuru Naval Base. There were ...
Dates & Locations8/11/2013
  Q: Paul, My father was in WW2 and here is his information: Harold D. Horn, serial#: 35549114, PFC, ...
  A: Greetings According to my information he went to one of these schools for his surgical tech ...
To hell and back uniforms8/6/2013
  Q: I was wondering if the uniforms from "to hell and back" were accurate. In some sequences it almost ...
  A: Greetings A very great question. Hollywood is known for messing up uniforms and other military ...
264th Field Artillery8/3/2013
  Q: I'm trying to help an elderly friend, Mr. Charles Brownell, locate a 264th FA buddy, Mr. James ...
  A: Greetings I must apologize I have not found much. I would try http://www.ancestry.com as a last ...
ww2 3044th QM Grave Registration Co7/6/2013
  Q: My Father was with the 3044th GR Co in Italy during the second world war and was wondering if you ...
  A: Greetings One of the many unsung heroes of World War 2. Giving the dead the respect they didnít ...
WWII Research6/25/2013
  Q: Sutton: I am researching my Grandfather's military history. His WWII records were destroyed, so we ...
  A: Greetings It may be possible to find out what unit your Grandfather was a part of. One is to ...
My Father's unit (WWII) this Father's Day?6/16/2013
  Q: Sir: My Father, Anthony Dombrowski is a 91 year old World War 2 veteran of the Army of the United ...
  A: Greetings It is an honor to be of service. CDL is short to Canal defense Light. Basically large ...
WWII Infantry (Scout) Unit?6/7/2013
  Q: I am trying to do some research on my late fathers military history. I have his DD214 and am ...
  A: Greetings Headquarters needed their own eyes and ears to determine what was going on the ...
Australian shell casing6/6/2013
  Q: I recently came across this shell casing and would like some info on it if you have any please. It ...
  A: Greetings What you have is commonly called trench art. Soldiers would use left over shell casing to ...
World War 2 Medal and collar pin5/26/2013
  Q: I was recently given a sergeants jacket from world war 2. i have looked up many things about the ...
  A: Greetings The medal with the blue is symbol of the 79th Division. The 79TH division used a Cross ...
U5/26/2013
  Q: I came into possession of a piece of military equipment a Lewyt Night Vision Scope Infrared US Navy ...
  A: Greetings A very interesting piece of technology. The Germans during World War 2 developed many ...
214th Signal Depot Company5/24/2013
  Q: Sutton, Please tell me what regiment and division of the US Army the 214th Signal Depot Company ...
  A: Greetings A very interesting unit. I have checked all the divisions that fought in New Guinea and ...
sword mailed from grandfather to grandmother june 16 1940s5/13/2013
  Q: I was given both swords by grandmother she was told that they were taken off a fallen Japanese ...
  A: Greetings It would be an honor to help. You have 2 blades from the Philippines. The smaller one ...
WW II Battalion/ Company yearbooks5/8/2013
  Q: My dad was in WWII,US Army, Company B, 512th MP BN. I remember that my mom had 2 quite large ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. First I would try to contact other members of your fathers ...
75DEC artillery shell5/7/2013
  Q: I have an artillery shell that I cannot identify. The shell has the markings 75DEC ~ TE ~ 16PRs ~ ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell for a French 75mm cannon Model 1897 field artillery piece. 16 is the ...
CIB5/6/2013
  Q: Ref: http://www.lonesentry.com/newspapers/16th-armored/index.html 18TH RECEIVES COMBAT INFANTRY ...
  A: Greetings In order to find out the menís MOS you will need names of the soldiers. Indeed you did ...
Help identifying item?4/26/2013
  Q: I have what appears to be a Third Reich cuff title, but I cannot identify it. Can you help? It is ...
  A: Greetings This is a very unusual item. Most cuff titles were used to show where a soldier had ...
military shells4/21/2013
  Q: I recently found in some old boxes a couple of military shells and wondered if you could shed any ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell from a British Mountain gun. The QF 3.7 inch mountain howitzer was an ...
military shells4/21/2013
112th Medical Battalion - World War 24/18/2013
  Q: I am doing research for a WW2 Army veteran, 92 years young, who served in the Pacific with 37th ...
  A: Greetings I donít have much on the 112th medical battalion in my collection. There are some ...
WW24/16/2013
  Q: What kind of US soldiers were there in WW2?
  A: Greetings The US Army is similar to a small country with many people doing many different jobs. ...
WWII Photo4/13/2013
  Q: I recently discovered the attached picture in a box of old photos and would like to identify the ...
  A: Greetings A fascinating image. This is of course Hitler meeting naval officers and men. The man ...
search for records4/9/2013
  Q: Mr. Sutton: I am looking for a source from the US Army that might have an actual account of my ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. I donít have much on the 32nd in my collection but the ...
Oriental Sword3/16/2013
  Q: In the following link: ...
  A: Greetings I have been unsuccessful in identify the sword in question. The etching on the blade is ...
Arisaka type12/21/2013
  Q: I believe I have an arisaka weapon from ww2. If I sent u a pic of the markings could u tell me what ...
  A: Greetings The Crown over the PB is a Beretta symbol. You most likely have a Type "I" rifle. ...
Artillery Training at Quantico during WWII2/19/2013
  Q: I am doing the war memoirs of a veteran of the USMC 15th Regiment, 6th Division, who trained on a ...
  A: Greetings I have found a few items that will help but I would contact the US Marine's Museum. The ...
The bombing of Hiroshima2/18/2013
  Q: Hey, I'm a Junior in High school and our english teacher is having us do a historic research paper. ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. I prefer to use Allexperts.com. If you can send you ...
WW2 MEANING2/18/2013
  Q: WHAT exactly would an American field press censor do in the ETOUSA ,IN England in 1943 ? hIS ...
  A: Greetings ETO is short for European theater of operations. In 1943 the Press was all over England ...
Dad's unit in WWII2/13/2013
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I am looking for the unit my Dad served with in WWII. I am listing his information ...
  A: Greetings Your Fatherís medal helps. He received his medal in January 1942 so he was involved in ...
Iraq War2/11/2013
  Q: I am writing a paper on the Civil and Iraq war and would love a response from an expert! Thank you ...
  A: Greetings Do you need more information? Please feel free to ask more questions. I am attaching ...
Iraq War2/7/2013
  A: Greetings Glad to help. The Iraq conflict is a very complex event and must first be put into ...
Flakvisier 35 Abkommkammer Film1/31/2013
  Q: We recently recieved about 11 cases (about 1100 rolls) of 8mm camera film for (from what I've been ...
  A: Greetings A fascinating find. A Flakvisier was a gun site for German antiaircraft guns. It would ...
shell casing1/25/2013
  Q: i have a brass shell casing on the bottom it reads 76x636 dm 30 los sm194e0102 dm231a1 ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell to an Oto 76 mm gun. This Italian designed weapon is a naval gun used ...
What technologies played the most important roles in World War II1/10/2013
  Q: I have to write a 4,500-5,000 word essay for my IB Theory of Knowledge class, and the topic I chose ...
  A: Greetings First off the Japanese Zero cost between 40,000 and 50,000 US dollars to produce. ...
Shell casing markes12/29/2012
  Q: N.Y which i think is Washington Navy Yard. The letters are: W.N.Y. 2-16 3in 50c J.H.G.with a ...
  A: Greetings You are correct W.N.Y. is short for Washington Navy Yard. Your shell is for a US Navy ...
Photos of ww2 bombing missions12/25/2012
  Q: I have several what appear to be photos from the belly of a U.S. bombing plane of several places ...
  A: Greetings I would enjoy taking a look at the photos. Instead of sending me the photos I would ...
WW2 shell case12/21/2012
  Q: I have an old shell case of which I'm looking for some information on. The details are as follows: ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell case from a British antiaircraft gun called the QF 3.7 inch AA gun. ...
Basic Training Centers12/7/2012
  Q: Sutton, I have been researching my great-uncle Riley Miller's service during WWII. He was KIA on 21 ...
  A: Greetings It is possible he trained at Ft. Leonard Wood but not a 100% certain. Bases would get ...
Reinforcement Battalion12/6/2012
  Q: Sutton, "My great uncle served with Company A of the 54th Armored Infantry Battalion of the 10th ...
  A: Greetings Is it possible it was the 53rd Reinforcement Battalion not the 3rd? The 54th and 53th ...
Aiding the Nazi and Axis Powers12/5/2012
  Q: you may remember me asking you a number of questions about Nazi Germany a few years ago (I asked ...
  A: Greetings First I must recommend a book that deals with this subject from The US Civil War called ...
MY FATHER'S UNIT11/27/2012
  Q: I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON MY FATHER'S UNIT HE WAS IN WWII FROM 1942 TO 1945. HE WAS IN THE HQ ...
  A: Greetings I have found a few items of interest. On the unit deployed to England in December 1943 in ...
POZIt or VT fuse first used11/27/2012
  Q: I noticed that you were asked about the POZIT or VT fuse being used in the Battle of the Bulge. It's ...
  A: Greetings The best information I have is the 62nd Field Artillery Battalion were the first units to ...
WWII Army information on my grandfather11/24/2012
  Q: Sutton, I recently found my grandfather's discharge document from the US Army with little ...
  A: Greetings It is an honor to help. First off as a family member you can request his service record. ...
Moro Kris swords? Philippines?11/21/2012
  Q: My father-in-law passed away 4 years ago but had recieved these from his uncle who lived in the ...
  A: Greetings You indeed have a Kris or Keris style weapon. When Japan invade and conquered the ...
French Shell Casing11/19/2012
  Q: Greetings Paul, I had read your question about your Grandfathers shells and another gentleman ...
  A: Greetings I believe the battle referred to was the Battle at St Mihiel. This a major battle with ...
Island hopping toward Japan11/11/2012
  Q: Why did U.S. forces systematically attack Japanese held islands instead of quarantining them and ...
  A: Greetings The US needed land bases to launch large 4 engine bombers to attack Japanese targets. ...
Military Maps Used in Combat11/9/2012
  Q: Paul Sutton, I would like to first and foremost thank you for your past help. It has been greatly ...
  A: Greetings The US Army had several maps. The British produced fantastic maps on silk that were ...
Radar in ww211/6/2012
  Q: My nameís Endaf and Iím a design student (not a history student just in case you think that some of ...
  A: Glad to help 1. I have included several links that will help. ...
Military History 18th Armored Inf Bn10/27/2012
  Q: Ref: Military History 18th Armored Inf Bn What was the MOS held by members of the unit?
  A: Greetings Not sure of everyone but many would have had these MOS MOS: 504 (Ammunition Bearer) MOS: ...
Grid Coordinates10/19/2012
  Q: Sutton I have been doing a huge project of trying to gain a better understanding of what my ...
  A: Greetings The code ď#w-965285Ē is the map location where he died. I have seen other Reports of ...
Large shell casing identification10/16/2012
  Q: Sutton, Could you identify the markings on the bottom of a trench art pitcher? The brass casing ...
  A: Greetings You have piece of art made from a French 75mm Cannon shell. 75 is the millimeter of the ...
m1 garand bayonet wooden grips 1910 scabbard10/16/2012
  Q: I recently purchased a 16" 1942 M1 garand bayonet made by Utica. It was issued with a RIA 1910 ...
  A: Greetings Utica built over million bayonets during World War 2 but yours is unique. The First ...
military weapons/ammunition box10/15/2012
  Q: I have an old ammunition box that I would like to identify. The box is made of wood with rope ...
  A: Greetings The design is similar to several German ammunition boxes except for the rope handles. I ...
Ammo load on WWII Fighters10/6/2012
  Q: I would like to know how much ammo a USAAF fighter carried. I know I saw a table on line and now ...
  A: Greetings P-51 1880 rounds for its 6 M2 machine guns P-39 30 rounds for 37MM canon, 200 rounds of ...
Gas Mask9/23/2012
  Q: I got this gas mask in a second hand shop about two years ago. I don't know anything about it so I ...
  A: Greetings You have a pre World War 2 civilian gas mask made for the citizens of Great Britain. ...
Found Item...9/19/2012
  Q: While living in Northern Japan I found what appears to be an old Japanese Naval target. It is a ...
  A: Greetings This is a figure of a North Korean soldier. There is a company that makes plastic ...
ID of ammo stored in Malinta Tunnel/Corregidor LIFE Magazine photo9/17/2012
  Q: I am a member of a forum, corregidor.org, and recently I posted a photo from WWII era of ammunition ...
  A: Greetings I am glad to help. I enjoyed the discussion on your forum. From what I can see these ...
question about a WWII Russian knife9/14/2012
  Q: I came across an old teacher of mine turned antique collector who showed me what she claimed to is a ...
  A: Greetings Indeed the Germans used Soviet equipment from blades, guns, artillery, tanks and anything ...
Remington 03-a39/14/2012
  Q: I have an 03-a3 that has a barrel stamp date of 5-43. The gun looks great and shoots great. I have 2 ...
  A: Greetings You have a fantastic rifle. You are correct the 03-a3 used a Parkersied finish. A ...
world war 2 history of what if's9/12/2012
  Q: What would happen if the Soviet union attacked Germany in 1941? Thanks
  A: Greetings It would depend upon where they attacked. The Soviets had a huge army but it was slow to ...
trends in land navigation9/8/2012
  Q: hey paul iam doing a project on automatic land navigation systems in artillery guns and rocket ...
  A: Greetings It would be an honor to help. I would contact the companies that make artillery targeting ...
Plate from Fletcher 5" gun turret9/5/2012
  Q: I have attached the image of a brass plate form a 5" turrent and would like to understand its ...
  A: Greetings You have a part of the targeting system to a 5 inch gun. The notch allows the gun to be ...
ammo WW19/2/2012
  Q: I have 2 bullets from my grandfather, I believe they are from WW1. The marking on the bottom are ...
  A: Greetings From your data this sounds like 1917 production of.375 ammunition. This was used in a ...
bullet9/2/2012
  Q: i have found a shell casing on a beach in cumbria, England it is degraded but you can clearly see ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. You have casing from a Swiss Oerlikon 20mm cannon. This cannon was used ...
Tiger 0078/30/2012
  Q: Paul, I am an avid plastic scale modeler, and my interest is in WW2 aircraft and armor. I am ...
  A: Greetings Sounds like a fun project. The tank tracks were removed soon after the tank was ...
Carcano rifle8/20/2012
  Q: I am asking for your ww2 expertise again... I have recently purchased a 1941 terni carcano rifle, it ...
  A: Greetings You may of pieces of an original rifle that has been put back to together to form a ...
Evolution of military sights8/15/2012
  Q: Sir, I am a student of Advanced Armament Engineering in India. I have to write a tech paper on ...
  A: Greetings You have quite a challenge ahead of you. I might broaden my subject a little and focus ...
5" shell casing8/12/2012
  Q: I purchased a 5" shell casing recently. I looked at the markings on the bottom of the shell and see ...
  A: Greetings I must apologize for the delay. You have a shell casing from a Mark 12 5"/38 caliber gun. ...
Anti Tank Shell8/11/2012
  Q: I have a shell casing and the solidhead of what I think is an anti tank shell but not sure. It has ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell to a 6 pound gun; also known as the Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder 7 ...
shell casing8/11/2012
  Q: I have an artillery shell(approx. 13 inches tall/3 inch in diameter) that my grandfather brought ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell from a French 75mm Cannon also called Canon de 75 modŤle 1897. A very ...
alternative history8/6/2012
  Q: Yeah that sounds pretty bad. But both big monsters fighting each other. It sounds scary to me.
  A: Very bad for the 2 big powers but worse for the people in between them. They would pay the price in ...
alternative history8/4/2012
  Q: What would happen if the Axis powers won? Would Germany and Japan would eventually turned on each ...
  A: Greetings If there had been a Japanese German victory a future conflict between the victors would ...
shell caseings8/1/2012
  Q: .. the marks on the bottom are lot 1457 +1942 cf +lot 538 1942 they stand 198mm tall by55mm at the ...
  A: Greetings From you description I would have to say you have shells for a British 6 pound gun or the ...
alternative history7/31/2012
  Q: What would happen if Britain had fallen? Could the allies still win? Thanks
  A: Greetings That is a major alternative history question. As I see it if the Germans were able to ...
US not interning the war7/30/2012
  Q: So let's say if the USSR defeated Germany without the US. Germany is defeated in Europe. So the USSR ...
  A: Greetings Good analysis. There is a wrinkle and that is China. Japan and China had been fighting ...
pacific war7/28/2012
  Q: "What would happen if Japan never attacked pearl harbor? Could Britain and the Soviet union still ...
  A: Greetings Could the USSR defeat the Germans and British together maybe? It would all come down to ...
pacific war7/28/2012
  Q: What would happen if Japan never attacked pearl harbor? Could Britain and the Soviet union still ...
What if UK helped Nazis7/27/2012
  Q: What would happen if the UK joined Germany in WW2?
  A: Greeting A great what if question. The first thing you have to do is find a way to get the British ...
WW2 Uniform ID from Italy7/22/2012
  Q: This is weird, but my partner has been having dreams about a past life and in it he was wearing this ...
  A: Greetings This is an Italian Army Officer uniform. Most likely a Infantry officer. As the Italian ...
bayonet7/19/2012
  Q: Sutton, I have a bayonet, that i believe to be a yugoslav 1924 short Mauser. The length of the blade ...
  A: Greetings Very good job on your research. The 9 inch bayonet was built in Yugoslavia. The export ...
Japanese Insignia7/15/2012
  Q: My grandfather was a Marine with the 9th Marines in WW2. I know he was at Bougainville and Guam. I ...
  A: Greetings This was a badge for a Corporal in the Imperial Japanese Army. His duty was Armor. The ...
info on a Remington Arms O3A37/14/2012
  Q: I recently have inherited the above mentioned weapon from my father's estate and have been trying to ...
  A: Greetings Good research. I believe you might have a gun from several earlier guns. The year of ...
Japanese Surrender papers7/4/2012
  Q: My husbands aunt worked for the War Dept. during World War II. She was a secretary. She gave my ...
  A: Greetings You have a piece of history that is becoming scarcer every day. Thousands of these ...
Swiss Weaponry in WW26/27/2012
  Q: Although they were neutrals, they had an army. I am looking for information on their artillery, ...
  A: Greetings The Swiss had a very mixed military; some equipment was built in Switzerland but much was ...
WW2 Japanese swords6/27/2012
  Q: I have 2 swords of the 3 that were brought back from the Philippines. My sister took one and had it ...
  A: Greetings The bottom sword is a Maguindanao Matito a traditional Philippines sword. The first sword ...
8" Shell Casings6/25/2012
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I have two 8" brass Naval shell casings. It would be good to know more about them and ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. Your cases are most likely from a US Navy 8"/55 caliber gun. This weapon ...
Dad's service in Pacific Theater/WWII6/11/2012
  Q: Greetings: I am writing to see if there is a way to identify my father's division, regiment, or ...
  A: Greetings Where was he trained? If you can find the location some bases have their own historical ...
signed iwo jima lithogaph one of five6/9/2012
  Q: I have a lithograph from stecker travno one of five signed by the three surviving men who raised the ...
  A: Greetings You have a unique piece of history. As to worth the Sky could be the limit. You would ...
Battle of el alamein5/30/2012
  Q: what weapons and technology was used in the battle of el alamein
  A: Greetings For the Germans their weapons included the Panzer 2, 3 and 4 tanks. For the Germans the ...
AA WWII5/25/2012
  Q: My Dad was on a 40mm Bofors gun. I have his day by day BN history, the form just shows 37mm ammo ...
  A: Greetings The 37mm did precede the Bofors 40mm. Bofors was a Swedish company that licensed the 40mm ...
Gas5/21/2012
  Q: I get curious about things. My question is, was any gas used in WWII? I understand it was used ...
  A: Greetings The sad answer is yes it was used during World War 2. Japan used mustard gas in China ...
k98 value5/21/2012
  Q: just picked up a k98 duv 41 german rifle . is is all matching # and in good condition . it also ...
  A: Greetings Most K98s right now are going for between 350 and 550 dollars. There are serious ...
war heros, children5/17/2012
  Q: For my class of 5-13yrs old, could you share with me any stories of children that served in any army ...
  A: Greetings It is an honor to help. One the best would be 11 year old Willie Johnston of Company D, ...
Sword Identification/Value5/14/2012
  Q: I'm trying to identify and value these two swords. I asked another expert but i was told they are ...
  A: Greetings The first sword is a Kris. This is a well know south pacific weapon. It has been found ...
Rifle casing found in Jordan5/2/2012
  Q: When in Wadi Rum, Jordan about ten years ago I found an old fired rifle casing that I took as a ...
  A: Greetings GB 56 is correct for a .303 British round that was used in a large number of guns. The ...
Markings on a Bayonet4/30/2012
  Q: I have a Bayonet that I have owned for Many Years. I was wondering about the History and the ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. I do some more information. One the length of the blade and ...
German Ammo/ & the weapon that used it4/29/2012
  Q: The Headstamp on the Ammo; 19 38 VII and The German Egale w/ Swastika in its Talons. Sorry I dont ...
  A: Greetings You have ammunition for a very interesting weapon. The Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 straight ...
Shell Casing Identification4/28/2012
  Q: I have a shell casing marked: 76 MM,M26 (at the top of the bottom of the casing); 1944 (at the ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. You have a shell casing from a 76mm gun M1. This was used on ...
abreviations4/23/2012
  Q: I'm looking for maps of the Med with co-ordinates, can such items be found somewhere? Also I have ...
  A: Greetings As to a good World War 2 map I would check EBay. Original maps with coordinates from ...
Arty Accuracy4/20/2012
  Q: Could you tell me what the circular area of deviation of the main US, German, and Soviet artillery ...
  A: Greetings Checking my library I have not found CED or Circular area of deviation but have found some ...
German Officer's Hat4/16/2012
  Q: Sutton, For my college class I am doing a project about Germany and my father has a German Officers ...
  A: Greetings You have a noncommissioned officers helmet of the East German Army in very good shape. ...
Japanese destroyers4/15/2012
  Q: Mr. Sutton: My interest is the war in the Pacific, and am looking for books/resources for ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. One of the items I would look at in your research is Japanese ...
shell casing markings4/11/2012
  Q: Sutton, I have 2 shell casings from my great grandfather...I am curious what the codes stamped on ...
  A: Greetings Turning swords into plowshares; the whole meaning of Trench art. What you have is a ...
World War 2 weapons4/11/2012
  Q: Sutton, I am an eighth grader and I have a research project. I was wondering if you could answer ...
  A: Greetings The German military in Europe was very successful but it was indeed in The USSR that they ...
Military Medical trunk/Chest4/6/2012
  Q: . it was made by Rogers & Madison Trunk Corp. in VA..(this co. closed in the early 1920's?)ON the ...
  A: Greeting I must apologize I donít have much. Roger & Madison merged with SEWARD TRUNK AND BAG CO., ...
unit insignia4/5/2012
  Q: My Dad was in the motorpool before going overseas in April 42. I know the shoulder patch he would of ...
  A: Greetings At the very least he would have worn a Coast Artillery Corps collar disk. Unit patches ...
Amry Trunk4/3/2012
  Q: I have a trunk that reads Lens Cone (For type k-22 camera) size 24.Its 2' across, 13" wide,and 18' ...
  A: Greetings Your trunk is very rare. The K-22 was a reconnaissance camera and not many were made. So ...
training4/2/2012
  Q: 1 My Dad trained raw recruits before the war as a coporal did he have training to be a corporal ...
  A: Greetings There was no drill instructor school during World War 2 so he would have been assigned to ...
75 mm casing question4/1/2012
  Q: I found an old casing from my grandfather. I was wondering what a brief history of this type of ...
  A: Greetings What I can tell the ammunition was made by A. C. company but it appears this company no ...
wwll japanese sword3/31/2012
  Q: I was given a japanese sword my grandfather brought back from Okinawa at the end of WWll. The sword ...
  A: Greetings This sounds like a beautiful weapon. The handle is handmade. One thing to look for is ...
WW2 ammunition3/30/2012
  Q: I wish I found this website sooner. I am writing on a paper for college (due today of course) and ...
  A: Greetings From the picture the bullets on top appear to be .30-06 Springfield rounds. Or ...
basic training 19393/27/2012
  Q: How long did basic training last? My Dad went thru it at Precidio Ca fall of 39 and into 40 because ...
  A: Greetings Before World War 2 US Army soldierís basic training took 13 weeks. After basic training ...
M1 Garand3/25/2012
  Q: I have a SA M1Garand made in October 1944 and would like to know the correct parts numbers for the ...
  A: Greetings M1 Garand would use several different Bayonets. The Model 1905 bayonet made until 1922 ...
1939 basic training3/20/2012
  Q: My Dad joined the Army in Oct 39. I think I remember him saying his pay was $19 per month I think ...
  A: Greetings A Corporal in 1940 or 41 would make about 60 to 70 dollars. It would depend on how many ...
WW23/17/2012
  Q: My question is: What would have happened if Germany had been able to profect the V1 and V2 and were ...
  A: Greetings The V1 and V2 were radical weapons of their time but not very effective. They were not ...
M1 helmet3/16/2012
  Q: It has 895F inscribed into the helmet, the helmet is seamed in the front, the bales are spot ...
  A: Greetings The anchor makes this a very interesting piece. Anchor means US Navy. 895f might be a ...
Me-1633/13/2012
  Q: Im doing a reaserch project on the Me-163 and i was wondering if you could recomend some books for ...
  A: Greetings My choices for books on the Me-163 are 1. Me 163: Rocket Interceptor -Volume 1 and 2 by ...
Japanese helmet pics3/12/2012
  Q: another pic of my helmet
  A: Greetings This would appear to be a helmet from the 26th Division which fought in the Philippines. ...
Japanese WW2 helmet and markings3/12/2012
  Q: Sutton,I received this helmet from my dad whos uncle was in the Pacific theater during WW2.He was ...
Model 1907M Shell3/6/2012
  Q: I have a Model 1907M 7335115 Lot 4474 18 BH Shell. On the case is a number AR117. 11.5 inches tall, ...
  A: Greetings You have a very nice piece of history. The Model 1907M was a special fuse used on 3inch ...
Fathers Tank Destroyer Ordnance2/22/2012
  Q: You seem to be knowledgeable on much of the WW2 ordnance and weapons my Father was in a Tank ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. The 75 mm Gun Motor Carriage M3 was the US armyís first tank destroyer ...
Company C 18th Armored Inf Bn2/21/2012
  Q: Per my discharge papers I was assigned to Company C 18th Armored Inf Bn. In Oct 1945 I went from ...
  A: Greetings According to the US Army the 18 Armored Infantry Battalion was part of the 16th Armored ...
WWII Jet Fighters2/9/2012
  Q: I wonder if you might be able to help me. I am a researcher at the BBC in London tasked with ...
  A: Greetings It is an honor to help. The prototypes of the ME-262 used BMW 003 but in the production ...
Father,s war history2/8/2012
  Q: My dad was a "Ritchie Boy". He was involved in photo of Kaiten subs to aid in invasion plan and ...
  A: Greetings There may be a couple of sources to check. The Holocaust museum just had a large exhibit ...
5" MK V shell casing2/4/2012
  Q: I've got a shell casing that I'm hoping you can tell me something about. There are a variety of ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. You have a shell casing form a 5 inch naval gun. The round was built in ...
box2/2/2012
  Q: i have a wood ammo box. stating. "ammunition for cannon with explosive projectiles" 2-ctg 105mm he ...
  A: Greetings You have a box for 105mm ammunition. From your information the manufacture date was most ...
wwll rifle2/2/2012
  Q: FROM WHAT I CAN TELL FROM INTERNET SEARCH, I HAVE A JAPAN COMPLETE ...
  A: Greetings I would have a Gunsmith check it to be 100% certain and see if it can fire. I have seen ...
Ammo box1/30/2012
  Q: I have what I know to be a wooden ammo box for 1 cartridge and supply charge with out the fuse for a ...
  A: Greetings You have a box that held ammunition for a 105mm artillery piece. The M2A1 and the others ...
Old ammo box1/27/2012
  Q: I have a box & wanted to find some info about it . Age ? Used for ? Anything !! Below is all info on ...
  A: Greetings You have a box that held ammunition for a 107mm mortar called the M30. This weapon was ...
Shell Casing1/22/2012
  Q: we have a shell casing with the following imprint on it and am hoping you can help me figure out ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. You have a round from a US Navy 6 pound gun also called a Hotchkiss rapid ...
C.G. Haenel Short Sword1/22/2012
  Q: I have a Haenel Short Sword 25.75 in length -Wooden handle with leather scabbard. The markings I can ...
  A: Greetings From your description you have a bayonet for MAUSER 98. Several bayonets from World War ...
contact1/16/2012
  Q: Is it possible that I can get in contact with the person who placed this article:Dear Mr. Sutton, ...
  A: Greetings All experts doesnít supply experts with the email address of the question askers. I can ...
WWII Uniforms1/16/2012
  Q: Sir, I recently purchased an Ike Jacket represented as a WWII issue. First Red Flag was the QM ...
  A: Greetings Uniforms are a funny thing. There are large numbers of fakes out there. You would need ...
WW2 Ammunition1/11/2012
  Q: I have a lighter which was apparently made from a piece of ammunition post WW2. I would like to find ...
  A: Greetings A very interesting piece of Trench Art. This lighter was most likely made from a 20mm ...
D-Day invasion1/3/2012
  Q: Sutton, Can you suggest one or two quintessential books on the D-Day invasion? It seems there are so ...
  A: Greetings Honored to help First book The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day By Cornelius ...
French Uniform Question1/3/2012
  Q: I have a picture of my father in a uniform he wore in France during the post WWI time frame or ...
  A: Greetings The best thing to do is send a digital picture. All Experts makes it easy to send me a ...
The families of deserters12/21/2011
  Q: Thanks a thousand for the help
  A: Greetings The Families were subject to pubic humiliation mostly. In 1944 some deserterís families ...
Families of deserters12/21/2011
  Q: I would be terribly grateful if you could answer what happened to families of deserters. Ie were ...
Poison gas in ww212/16/2011
  Q: Greetings, I am fish. Forget about the Allies and look at the Russian Front. The prevailing winds, ...
  A: Greetings It is surprising that the Germans didnít resort to nerve gas attacks near the end of the ...
Question about hitler12/14/2011
  Q: Long time no see! It is me again! Though this question may or may not be within your expertise, I ...
  A: Greeting Those who donít study the past are doomed to repeat it mistakes. I have done studies into ...
WWI or WWII domestic history12/13/2011
  Q: I'm aware that this question is not specific to your area of expertise however I was hoping that you ...
  A: Greetings What she was doing would depend on her skills. Many women went to work in factories ...
a 1943 shell case12/11/2011
  Q: I am hoping you can tell me something about a shell casing. 3.7" Mk VI Gun IC(can't read last ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell casing from a British 3.7inch antiaircraft gun. It was manufactured in ...
bolt action rifle12/2/2011
  Q: i have a rifle.it is marked fab. nat d'arms de-guerre on the left side.and marked politie 1-c0 on ...
  A: Greetings My best guess is a Belgium built Mauser called the Karabiner 98K. After World War 2 ...
3.7 shell casing12/1/2011
  Q: We are looking to purchase a 3.7 Shell Casing (WWII vintage),to donate to a small town Legion ...
  A: Greetings Some the best places to look for a shell cases are Cartridge shows and Guns shows. The ...
identifying a military helmet11/18/2011
  Q: I acquired a helmet i cannot seam to ID. I have several good photos available if you can help or ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. You can upload your photos into to all experts. There is an ...
Hitler Weapons11/8/2011
  Q: Do you know what weapons hitler carried on his person? I am doing a project on him and would greatly ...
  A: Greetings The best information I have is that Hitler carried 2 pistols on him; a Walther PP 7.65mm ...
ww2 info about my grandfather10/8/2011
  Q: i would like to know as much as possible about my grandfather Ted R. Steve. hes now deceased, has an ...
  A: Greetings What you want is his military records. As a family member you can request those from the ...
Japanese weapons9/30/2011
  Q: Greetings, I was wondering if you could send me in the right direction to determine what exactly ...
  A: Greetings First off the leather work on the scabbed is fantastic. It looks very Chinese. Japanese ...
Tank Shell Casing Question9/29/2011
  Q: I have tank shell casing 76MM, T19E1B1 LOT NS-1-25 1952. Do you have any information or have any ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell casing from a M41 light tank. This tank used a M32 76mm gun. A compact ...
A2 jacket9/28/2011
  Q: My father's A2 jacket has 72 bombs painted on it and have D Day written on two of the bombs. Is it ...
  A: Greetings It is most likely he flew that many mission. Flight crews typically flew 25 missions and ...
Mortars in the Artillery9/27/2011
  Q: When did mortars become an infantry weapon? Were they employed in the artillery and until what time ...
  A: Greetings Mortars have been around for hundreds of years but as an infantry weapon you have to look ...
Tracing WWII Casualty Record9/20/2011
  Q: My father was William A Seese, Sergeant 121st Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division, service ...
  A: Greetings I myself cannot get access to your fatherís records. But as a family member you can. I ...
WWII Ammo ID9/10/2011
  Q: I have two shells I pried out of the coral around Okinawa, Japan, almost 24 yrs ago. The are both ...
  A: Greetings From your description your shell is from an Oerlikon 20 mm cannon. Most likely a ...
Germany vs us9/10/2011
  Q: 1. Evaluate the strength of German Army and Airforce in ww2. Compare it to the german in ww1 and us ...
  A: Greetings At the Start of World War 2 Germany had the finest Army and Air Force in the world. What ...
Nazi Germany9/1/2011
  Q: It's Simon again, back with more questions of Nazi Germany. Please forgive my insatiable thirst for ...
  A: Greetings Question 1 I find no proof of Bormann being a spy. Saying Bormann was a spy is a way for ...
world war II japanese sword8/31/2011
  Q: Wondering the worth of a World war II japanese sword.
  A: Greetings Sword prices vary a lot depend on the manufacturing of the sword, machine made or hand ...
Nazi German Military8/22/2011
  Q: I've been given an assignment on the Nazi German military, and I'm struggling to find answers, so I ...
  A: Greetings I believe I can help. The Germany military in the 1930s flourished under the Nazis. With ...
P-388/14/2011
  Q: Paul, I have a 1941 German P-38 9mm pistol. There is a switch on the side marked F and S, for ...
  A: Greetings The F and S began about 50 years before your gun was made. The safety is a patented ...
38 cal 5" Mark V8/11/2011
  Q: I friend gave me a brass piece I am trying to figure out. It is about 6" in diameter and about 3" ...
  A: Greetings You have a piece from 5inch shell. The gun in question is most likely the Mark 12 5"/38 ...
Identifying a Knife8/3/2011
  Q: I recently found a large knife along with two little knives in nice leather sheath the only marking ...
  A: Greetings I have had no success in finding out about your knives. The shield on the handle is not ...
Nazi Germany8/2/2011
  Q: It's me again, the guy asking all the questions a few weeks ago. I sent some other questions to ...
  A: Greetings I have found some websites with more color photos for you that should help. As to why ...
coordinates7/26/2011
  Q: Sutton, While researching my Great Uncles participation in WWII E.T.O. 1944, I`ve noticed two ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. The US Army began playing with a 6 digit map system called UTM or ...
To which Dragoon or regiment does this photo belong7/22/2011
  Q: I would appreciate your help. I am working on the details of my genealogy and have this photo of ...
  A: Greetings Not much success. My database for World War 1 uniforms is quite limited. The uniform in ...
projectile...what is it ?7/12/2011
  Q: I purchased this projectile at auction. I would like to learn more about it. The only markings I ...
  A: Greetings This is just a guess but it looks to be a training round or an Armor piecing round for a ...
Nazi Germany7/11/2011
  Q: It's Simon again. I couldn't ask another follow up so I had to start a fresh post. Again, very ...
  A: Greetings Waffen SS at times wore black uniforms but in the field used modified Wehrmacht uniforms ...
Trench Art shell casing7/10/2011
  Q: I have a piece of trench art that I am trying to identify a general date for. On the bottom of the ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell casing from a French 75mm cannon. The year of manufacture is 1915 so ...
Nazi Germany7/5/2011
  Q: My name is Simon, I am 18 and spent all of 2009 researching the many aspects of Nazi Germany. I ...
  A: Greetings I am honored to help. Question 1; in the early days from 1933 to around 1939 the Army ...
ww2 practice ammunition7/3/2011
  Q: Stamped on the bottom is written MMC 1943 DUMMEY CARTRIGE MK 723 CAL 3" Thanks for any help with ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help you. The information on your ammo should read MK 223 cal 30. Sometimes ...
Base of Shell Casing6/25/2011
  Q: Brass gold color metal. 75 DE C PO Ps 1205 L 18C Could you help me understand what this object ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell casing from a 75mm cannon. As your father served in Italy it was fired ...
ww26/22/2011
  Q: Was a Albrecht Kesselring a good general? Was he a genius? Regards Washy
  A: Greetings A defensive genius was the skill of Kesselring. Kesselring was an Army officer who got ...
TNT ammo box6/21/2011
  Q: I have a TNT box measuring 19" long, 13" wide and 11 1/2" high with a orange sticker on one end ...
  A: Greetings I donít have much information but here is what I have. MOD is short for ministry of ...
French 75mm Gun M1897 A46/17/2011
  Q: Our local neighborhood association is trying to locate some information on an artillery piece which ...
  A: Greetings Nice piece of history; what you have is a Bethlehem Steel built gun that was manufactured ...
zhukov6/17/2011
  Q: I am mr washington. Who is more capable as a general, zhukov or patton? What are their strategies ...
  A: Greetings Your question would be a great starting point for a book. Patton was an aggressive ...
Pow captured in italy6/14/2011
  Q: Can you help fill in some information. Ist time talked about experience as POW. said a few things. ...
  A: Greetings There was a POW camp in Prussia call Stalag II-B. Many POWs at this camp worked farms in ...
Sarajevo Bullet casing6/10/2011
  Q: I have a bullet casing with flower engraving all around it. It has "SARAJEVO" engraved on it as ...
  A: Greetings You have a piece of trench art. This was shell casing from s 20mm cannon and most likely ...
NAME OF MILITARY INSTALLATION5/30/2011
  Q: I GREW UP DURING WWII IN ASTORIA, BOROUGH OF QUEENS, NEW YORK CITY. WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF MY ...
  A: Greetings Borough OF Queens had 2 bases during World War 2. One was Fort Tilden and the other was ...
1956 HEP-T 105mm5/29/2011
  Q: I bought an old 105mm shell at a flea market a few years back and I was thinking about selling it, I ...
  A: Greetings Do not sell it. You may have a live round. HEP-T is short for high explosive tracer ...
wwii5/28/2011
  Q: Was ft Hood a training center for new recruits in 41? I know Dad was a corporal training recruits ...
  A: Greetings Fort Hood was Camp Hood in 1941 and yes it was a training center for new recruits. Much ...
Shell Casing - 50 Cal5/22/2011
  Q: I found what I beleive to be a WWII shell casing and wanted to know if you can tell me if it is ...
  A: Greetings From your description you have a shell from a US Navy 3 inch gun. This weapon was used on ...
Rock Island Arsenal 19035/20/2011
  Q: I just got a RIA 1903. The barrel has RIA 11-18 near the front sight and a P? towards the front ...
  A: Greetings This gun was produced in November of 1918 according to my information. Most likely used ...
shell casing5/19/2011
  Q: i have a casing marked federal 38 special what is it
  A: Greetings My best guess is a .38 bullet casing made by a company called Federal Cartridge. They ...
ww1 tank ammo5/2/2011
  Q: i have what i beleve to be ww1 tank ammo. it is marked PDPS 116 1.18 37-85 and was looking to sell. ...
  A: Greetings You may have a shell to a French designed 37mm cannon. This was used in the role of an ...
Holocaust4/21/2011
  Q: It is me again! Recently, I read an article about Holocaust and was horrified by the atrocities ...
  A: Greetings Again glad to help. Stalin killed his millions from the late 1920s to 1953. The Nazis ...
D-Day Deception and Technology4/20/2011
  Q: I am in Gr 11 and am doing an essay on D-Day. I have chosen to explain how the use of deception and ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. One of the keys to the D-Day invasion was to know what the ...
Blacks in Germany4/19/2011
  Q: Were Blacks discriminated in Nazi regime? I am wondering why Hitler ONLY discriminated and killed ...
  A: Greetings Hitler and the Nazis killed more than Jews in the concentration camps. Communists, ...
history4/18/2011
  Q: My father was in Marine Co. D, 1st Corps Medidcal Battalion from Oct. 1942 through Oct 1945. I would ...
  A: Greetings A very noble goal. I would start by looking for World War 2 medical associations. I have ...
WW2 development4/14/2011
  Q: Greeting I have some questions to ask you, pertaining the development of ww2. According to my ...
  A: Greetings A very complex issue, the governments of France and England were collation governments ...
75 mm m5A shell at sale4/3/2011
  Q: Could you tell me about a 75 mm shell I saw at a sale. It was marked as a WWII anti tank shell. On ...
  A: Greetings A very interesting item piece of history; this is a shell for the French m1897 75mm ...
WW1 shell casing lamp4/1/2011
  Q: I have a lamp that was given to my mother by a friend whose father fought in France in WW1 (as did ...
  A: Greetings A very nice of Trench Art. This was made after the battle of Battle of Ch‚teau-Thierry in ...
Russian Millitary tactics during WWI3/31/2011
  Q: I am currently in the process of creating a presentation for my A-level history class on the tactics ...
  A: Greeting I would be honored to help. To understand Soviet tactics you have to understand artillery ...
daggers3/19/2011
  Q: I purchased a 1889 c.g. haenel suhl dagger. What can you tell me about these. When did c.g.haenel ...
  A: Greetings I have some information but not much. C.G. Haenel Co. was edged weapon manufacturer. ...
John Rober Osborne3/18/2011
  Q: Was John Robert Osborne who was a prisoner (service no. WX9287) of war embarked on a ship? If yes ...
  A: Greetings If you are referring the John Osborne of the Australian army; he was transported to ...
Military Shell Identification3/16/2011
  Q: I have an inert shell that I bought at a tag sale years ago and am having trouble identifying it. ...
  A: Greetings The diameter is about 40 mm so most likely a 40mm cannon shell. The length is very ...
Iwo Jima Knife?3/13/2011
  Q: I hope I have the right expert for my question? I picked this knife up the other day. I was told ...
  A: Greetings This is not a standard issue combat knife. This was most likely a gift or something a ...
ww II bullets3/13/2011
  Q: i have two old bullets from ww ii and i want to know how much they are worth and if you want to buy ...
  A: Greetings I am wondering if it might say 1942. That would be the year of manufacture and K-2 is the ...
WW II3/7/2011
  Q: Sutton: S.L.I. Camp was located near Ruston. I would like to locate the WW II members of my ...
  A: Greetings I have not found any names but Louisiana Tech has a special collection of information on ...
War tactics2/27/2011
  Q: How did war tactics change from WWII and now?
  A: How did war tactics change from WWII and now? Greetings World war 2 with it blitzkrieg and combined ...
indentifying a shell casing2/27/2011
  Q: I have a "trench art" cigarette lighter made from a brass shell casing and I am trying to identify ...
  A: Greetings My best guess is either a shell from a German Mauser or a French rifle called Lebel Model ...
japanese sword2/26/2011
  Q: here is another picture
  A: Greetings You are looking at a Wakizashi sword this was a complement to the longer Katana. This ...
japanese sword2/26/2011
  Q: hey paul, i found this sword uo for sale online and was thinking of purchasing it but dont know ...
WW II MIA in Marshall Islands2/21/2011
  Q: My uncle was listed as an MIA at Roi Namur in the Marshall Islands on Feb. 4, 1944 but I don't know ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. Your Uncle was a US Marine and died during the Battle of ...
History Day2/18/2011
  Q: Interview Questions 1.Would you consider the bomb a success? 2.Is the bomb justified because it ...
  A: Greetings 1. The atomic bomb was a success. Two B-29s each carrying one bomb were able to destroy ...
reseach question2/14/2011
  Q: February 14,2011 I am a fourth grader at Lincoln Park Elementary in Portland, OR. We are doing an ...
  A: Greetings Why did Japan start the war with the US? Japan in 1941 was in trouble. Japan had been ...
atomic bomb decision1/31/2011
  Q: my name is Ben and I am a student in Kohler, WI. I am doing a national history day project on the ...
  A: Greetings 1. To answer question 1 yes we should have dropped the bomb. Japan was not going to ...
K98 mauser sniper rifles and thier scopes1/30/2011
  Q: I own a K98 Mauser 8mm sniper rifle; made in obendorf '44(SN 2065). It had been re-stocked to modern ...
  A: Greetings Nice piece of history. To replace your scope with authentic scope from World War 2 will ...
Plastic molded canteen cover1/28/2011
  Q: I have an OD dark green molded plastic covered fabric canteen cover; on the inside flap ear is NSN ...
  A: Greetings It is possible you may have a prototype. Just before the Gulf War the US Army had ...
Japanese bayonets1/27/2011
  Q: This is a follow up to my question re: the Japanese sword and bayonets. The bayonets I've been told ...
  A: Greetings Many Japanese manufactures used European stamping equipment and thus used western ...
Japanese sword and bayonets1/27/2011
  Q: Twenty five years ago I found a japanese sword and two bayonets hidden in floorboards of a house I ...
  A: Greetings That is one of the most beautiful swords I have ever seen. I would have a professional ...
WW1 French Shell Casings1/26/2011
  Q: I have what I believe are 2 french brass shell casings possibly dated around WW1. Would you be able ...
  A: Greetings Your second shell predates World War 1 as it was made in 1906. RENNES is the city of ...
WW II New Guinea Campaign1/24/2011
  Q: I reciently found my Dad's honorable discharge army papers and I am very curious to know how he ...
  A: Greetings It is possible he was wounded you need to find out if he had a purple heart. As a family ...
MK24 Acoustic homing torpedo1/23/2011
  Q: Dropped from an aircraft this mine was used against U-boats but how did it work? How did it steer ...
  A: Greetings The MK 24 anti submarine mine or torpedo was in fact an early smart weapon using a very ...
small swivel cannon1/23/2011
  Q: need help in identifying this peice. it was given as a 21st birthday gift to a friend,s father who ...
  A: Greetings You have 1 of 2 possibilities. One is a saluting gun or 2 an early harpoon gun. The ...
pilots and combat missions over both Theaters of WWII1/21/2011
  Q: Was it very unusual for an Army Air Force pilot to fly 25 combat missions over Europe, be sent ...
  A: Greetings Many pilots after their 25 mission signed up for more missions. Paul Tibbets the Pilot ...
Atomic Bombs dropped on Japan1/16/2011
  Q: I'm a seventh grade student working on a school project.I would like to know your opinion on the ...
  A: Greetings Sadly the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were necessary to end the war. In the ...
Battle of El Alamein1/15/2011
  Q: What were the strategies used by the groups involved during the Battle of El Alamein? What was the ...
  A: Greetings During the 2 Battles of El Alamein the roles for both sides changes. During the 1st ...
WW2 german war machines1/5/2011
  Q: i have 2 questions 1) this is more of an opinion question but if Germany had concentrated on the ...
  A: Greetings Question 1: In some ways yes and no. More tanks is good but in the later war years the ...
US M3 medium tanks1/4/2011
  Q: Were any M3 medium Grant/lee tanks produced by Chrysler with the 75mm gun sponson on the tank's left ...
  A: Greetings According to my research M3s were only built with right side 75s. If some were built ...
photo album1/3/2011
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I have a japanises photo album and it looks as it could be from an army unit. There ...
  A: Greetings It would appear that you have something from the 75th regiment of the 19th Division of the ...
Arisaka bayonet WW21/3/2011
  Q: I have a bayonet which was supposed to be Japanese sent back by a family member in 1945. It looks ...
  A: Greetings If your bayonet came from Japan it had quite a ride. Simson Suhl was a weapons ...
ww11 dress bayonet??1/1/2011
  Q: My husband has a bayonet we think it is a dress bayonet bought back from , it has a victoria Knox ...
  A: Greeting Many countries still use bayonets so it may not be from World War 2. The symbol might ...
French WWII rifle12/30/2010
  Q: I recently purchased a MAS model 1936 from a friend. The serial # is Q22828. It does not look like ...
  A: Greetings An interesting weapon. The airborne version had a folding aluminum stock so not likely a ...
US weapon list post 177712/29/2010
  Q: Paul, did you ever get the list of weapons used by the US military from 1775 to the M1? I ...
  A: Greetings During the Revolutionary war Continental Army used many different rifles. Most American ...
Marshall Islands12/24/2010
  Q: My father was in the 6th Marine Division and part of a (JASCO?)He was in pearl harbor when the ...
  A: Greetings First off the BAR or Browning automatic rifle was an infantry machine gun. This was in ...
newsletters12/22/2010
  Q: Was it common for armed services to print out their own newsletters. How much would one from 1944 ...
  A: Greetings The US military has its own newspaper called the Stars and Stripes. Most divisions had ...
unterseeboot sword12/22/2010
  Q: My grandfather served in World War Two and one of his buddies gave him a sword. Apparently it is a ...
  A: Greetings A little, The German Navy used the same type of swords in World War 1 and 2. Typically ...
Japanese Photo12/15/2010
  Q: I was wondering if anyone could help me find out what I have? My wife has an uncle that was in the ...
  A: Greetings I would like to help: you could take a picture of your picture and send that to me in ...
identifying 5in MK5 navel shell12/13/2010
  Q: i pick up an ashtray. is there anyway to find out what ship it came from by the markings? this is ...
  A: Greetings Sadly an impossible task. This type of shell was built in the thousands and used on a ...
Sword12/7/2010
  Q: Here s another view
  A: Greetings I must apologize; your blade is not a Wakizashi. It would appear to be a Philippines ...
japanese military sword12/7/2010
  Q: Mr. Sutton: In regards to the japanese sword I have attached pictures of the sword for further ...
japanese military sword12/2/2010
  Q: I have what appears to be a hand made japanese officers sword; it is approximately 15inches long and ...
  A: Greetings You have a very interesting weapon It is called a wakizashi. This short sword was a ...
uss eversole 40411/11/2010
  Q: my grandfather served on that ship or so I was told. I was wondering if a THOMAS A. KEANE was on ...
  A: Greetings I have not been successful in finding if your Grandfather was on the USS Eversole DE404. ...
my grandfather11/1/2010
  Q: Im trying to find information on my grandfather Daniel McAuley Orr born July 14, 1931 in scotland he ...
  A: Greetings The best place to look is the national Archives of Great Britain. Only family members ...
Military Canteen?10/28/2010
  Q: I have this canteen, and need to find out what the heck it is! It is oval12 1/2 in long, rather ...
  A: Greetings You have a 19th century canteen. It is very similar to Calvary officer canteen dating ...
FW-19010/25/2010
  Q: what was the best, or preferred variant of the Focke Wulf Fw-190 by the Luftwaffe when it came to ...
  A: Greetings The best air to air version of the F-190 was the D-9 model or Dora. Early models of the ...
30-30 in ww210/16/2010
  Q: i have a Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle that was made in 1943 (i was able to track the serial ...
  A: Greetings Lever action rifles were out of favor in the military during World War 2. But during ...
Hungarian WWII Howitzer10/12/2010
  Q: On a Hungarian stamp issued 1 Dec., 1941 (Scott# B136), there is a field piece depicted. I think ...
  A: Greetings The 75 Skoda is the closest to the stamp image. It is logical choice. I have come ...
Japanese Mortar / Artillery Sight10/12/2010
  Q: I recently came across this Japanese optical sight and have not been able to identify it as to the ...
  A: Greetings This is an artillery sight. It was used to plan where to setup artillery pieces. It is ...
Marine pocket knife10/7/2010
  Q: I have a swiss army type knife that was my grandfathers. He was a PFC in the 3rd division Marines. ...
  A: Greetings Swiss Army knives were very popular. Most bases that had a PBX or military stores sold ...
Audie Murphy TD question10/4/2010
  Q: What type of Tank destroyer was Murphy on when he won his Medal Of Honor? It is stated in many ...
  A: Greetings According to my information it was a M-10 tank destroyer. Audie Murphy was upset that ...
My grandfather9/29/2010
  Q: I have been looking for information on how to find out what infantry and what my grandfathers job ...
  A: Greeting I would be honored to help. I donít have direct access to US Army databases but as a ...
can a bullet penetrate a car?9/13/2010
  Q: I see so many hollywood movies and tv shows that show the impact of bullets on cars that seemingly ...
  A: Greetings Depends upon the bullet. Bullets such as hollow point would break up in the door some ...
Weird WWII souvenir9/8/2010
  Q: My Grandfather just showed me a shotgun that he received in Okinawa after the Japanese surrendered. ...
  A: Greetings The Firearm in your possession most likely came from someoneís personal collection. In ...
guns9/5/2010
  Q: I have a WWII rifle with the numbers 397251 on the rifle and clip both. Do you know what kind of ...
  A: Greetings Most World War 2 rifles that used clips could have the clips replaced. If the same ...
Old M6 panoramic telescope8/31/2010
  Q: I have a large brass telescope (in pieces) that I cannot identify. On part of it, it clearly says ...
  A: Greetings You have a part of an artillery sighting system. Your telescope was used to direct fire ...
WW2 German hand-held weapon8/16/2010
  Q: I am a police officer. Today I went to a "suspicious package" type job. The item was a glass tube ...
  A: Greeting Very interesting item. Not 100 percent but it might be a chemical weapon detector. Great ...
trying to identify strange belt weapon8/13/2010
  Q: I was wondering if you could identify a weapon that looks like a real weapon but was used in a ...
  A: Greetings A Garrote is the weapon I believe you are referring to. There are many street names for ...
Philippine war sword?8/11/2010
  Q: I am trying to identify a sword supposedly captured during world war two during a battle in the ...
  A: Greetings You may a Kris also called a Keris. This blade is normally manufactured in Indonesia, ...
Colditz7/31/2010
  Q: One additional question I forgot. In Colditz, did the officers have non-commissioned officers as ...
  A: Greetings In many German POW camps noncom and Officers were kept in different areas. Some camps ...
Pilot training in 19267/31/2010
  Q: In 1926 when a West Point Cadet graduated with his pilot's wings and was assigned to an Army post ...
  A: Greetings A new US Army Pilot typically got 50 to 100 hours of training. Many pilots joined the ...
Colditz7/28/2010
  Q: I would like to know if any American officers were housed in Colditz? Also, what kind of treatment ...
  A: Greetings Colditz was indeed a POW camps with US POWs. In 1944 the First American arrived in ...
found an old ammunition box7/22/2010
  Q: can you help, I've found an old wooden box that had been used for spare parts for machines and ...
  A: Greetings The Box held rounds for a 105mm tank gun that was used by early models of the M1 tank as ...
German WW2 Bayonet7/19/2010
  Q: I have what I belive to be a German WW2 Bayonet. On one side of the blade it is inscribed "GEBR ...
  A: Greetings Gebr Heller or Gebruder Heller is the manufacture of the blade without a picture my best ...
brass shell casing7/8/2010
  Q: Paul,I have a brass shell casing with a diameter of 2 inches.AEF and Chateau Thierry are "engraved" ...
  A: Greetings You do have a piece of trench art if the engraving is post firing. Sadly they are ...
Old knife7/7/2010
  Q: I have an old knife that has been in our family since 1943. The name inscribed on the blade along ...
  A: Greetings Your description is very intriguing. This knife might be a Wakizashi. If it is handmade ...
anti-aircraft guns7/5/2010
  Q: It was said that I was shot down by AA. August 1940, near Portsmouth, UK, 10,000'. I saw no bursts ...
  A: Greetings I believe you are referring to the Bofors 40mm. This fantastic gun was very popular and ...
ww2 and allied pows7/3/2010
  Q: Who were the highest ranking officers captured by Germans in WW2? Thanks.
  A: Greetings Germany captured many high rank officers during World War 2 including 82 Soviet generals, ...
Germany--why so different?7/1/2010
  Q: Germany has a completely different system and way of doing things than it did prior to the second ...
  A: Greetings Germany at the end of World War 2 was a broken and divided country. When the war ended ...
105mm howitzer shell6/22/2010
  Q: I have a 105mm howitzer shell. It is engraved with a asain looking dragon and lizard. Where can I ...
  A: Greetings You may have a piece of trench art. Soldiers in many wars will take cast off pieces of ...
german bayonet6/19/2010
  Q: Paul I read another question someone asked you about this same type of bayonet.I went to the website ...
  A: Greetings You have a German bayonet from World War 1. While not readily available it is not super ...
GERMAN ARMOR WW26/17/2010
  Q: SIRS MY QUESTION IS THE COLOR OF THE PANZER IV, PANTHER AND TIGER ENGINES& TRANMISIONS OF THESE ...
  A: Greetings The best information I have is the transmissions for those tanks is that they were gray. ...
Anti-tank Officer Functon/Staff6/15/2010
  Q: Mr. Sutton, My father was the anti-tank officer with the 3AD and KIA during WWII. I have been ...
  A: Greetings As an anti tank officer your father would have been on the front line. Anti tank units ...
german tank guns6/11/2010
  Q: Of the 88 mm guns fitted to the Tiger and King Tiger tanks and the high velocity 75 mm on the ...
  A: Greeting The Tiger is the winner. The King Tiger used much of the same equipment as tiger so it ...
Military Rifle6/8/2010
  Q: I have a chance to purchase a Model 1903 Rock Island Arnesal Rifle Serial num. 66158 for $300.00 ...
  A: Greetings An unmodified 1903 used 7.62 x 63 mm also called .30-06. Some 1903 were modified to use ...
panzers vs sherman, Jagdtiger and Jagdpanther6/7/2010
  Q: I was wondering what success rate did the upgraded 50mm gun equiped Panzer IIIs have against the ...
  A: Greetings Very poorly. The 50mm was a good gun but could not penetrate the front armor of the ...
WWII and NRA firearms6/4/2010
  Q: Can you please give me information about WWII surplus weapons that were available to the general ...
  A: Greetings I am sorry for the delay an issue with All Experts. I have found nothing on the gun in ...
5" 38 caliber projectile5/31/2010
  Q: My Dad passed away a few years ago. He was served in the USCG on a destroyer in the late 1940s into ...
  A: Greetings Agreed no bomb squad. Many police depts. have amnesty boxes; these are safe ways of ...
wwII 1st infantry captured in italy5/30/2010
  Q: in spirit of our memorial holiday, i am researching my grandfather's adventures in africa and ...
  A: Greetings The best information I have is he would have been part the 9th infantry division 39th ...
2-18IN and the Siegfried Line Campaign5/24/2010
  Q: I am currently assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, and I'm looking for more ...
  A: Greetings With the city of Aachen cleared the 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment was sent in to ...
Battle of Hurtgen Monument5/23/2010
  Q: I would like to know if/where there is a monument to the American men who fought in the Battle of ...
  A: Greetings Indeed here is a stone monument with a bronze plaque dedicated to the 4th infantry ...
WW2 tactics5/21/2010
  Q: Compare and contrast the Axis powers tactics with those of the Alliance. Please focus on tactics ...
  A: Greetings Blitzkrieg was in the early years of World War 2 the new form of warfare. Germany in the ...
WWI, WWII, Iraq and Afghanistan War Propaganda5/21/2010
  Q: Paul Sutton, For my final in an English/World History class I have to ask an expert 10 ...
  A: Greetings Question 1 In World War One there were many sources for propaganda. There was some ...
1943 Sherman Tank5/20/2010
  Q: We have a 1942-1943 Sherman Tank with a Continental Radial Engine. The engine will not run. We have ...
  A: Greetings I am not a mechanic but I would contact a museum that has just finished repairing one. ...
Military evolution5/10/2010
  Q: Sir, good noon. Thank you very much for answering my earlier question. Can you please let me know ...
  A: Greeting With the end of World War 1 military forces began pouring over the battles and ...
Aircraft Bazooka5/7/2010
  Q: Looking at US weapons that might "successfully" engage a PzKw VI "Tiger" in Africa 1942-1943, I am ...
  A: Greetings The US Army Air Forces used the M8 air launched rocket. This 4.5 inch rocket was a very ...
90mm as Anti-Tank weapon?5/7/2010
  Q: When was the US M1 or M2 90mm gun first used as an anti-tank weapon? I know they were deployed as ...
  A: Greetings There some references to the M1 and M1A1 90MM used in the anti tank role during the ...
The Cold War and Space Race5/5/2010
  Q: My name is Shane. I am a middle schooler in Washington. I had a question about the space race, and ...
  A: Greetings The Cold War and the Space Race lead to huge advances in both computers and rocket ...
anti tank ? and grenade5/5/2010
  Q: I bought two items off an auction site a few years ago and i had all of the info on them saved on a ...
  A: Greetings The bullet is a 30mm round. Most likely from a world war 2 30mm anti aircraft gun ...
WW2 weapon part5/4/2010
  Q: I found this when cleaning out a basement of a WW2 vet I believe Air Force. Can you tell me what it ...
  A: Greetings You have the rear end of M40 recoilless rifle shell. A recoilless rifle works by allowing ...
island hopping5/2/2010
  Q: i am a high school student working on a thesis paper on island hopping. i am trying to prove that it ...
  A: Greetings The island hopping strategy was pivotal to ending the war early. The number of Japanese ...
D-Day Technolgy4/30/2010
  Q: I am a middle schooler in Washington, and I am doing a history. My subject is D-Day. One of the ...
  A: Greetings The technology of Normandy being amphibious tanks, radios, close air support, and ...
WW14/29/2010
  Q: During WW1 I'd like to know how American POWs were treated when captured in Germany, especially if ...
  A: Greetings Some American troops did become POWs during World War 1. They were captured in France. ...
ARM BANDS4/20/2010
  Q: How does the black light used on cotton arms bands identify the fake WW11 german arm bands
  A: Greetings Modern clothing materials have light enhancers added to the cloth. Under black light the ...
shoulder patches4/16/2010
  Q: my father"s unit was the ' BtyA 460th AAA Aw Bn '.Can you tell me what shoulder patch he would have ...
  A: Greetings I have found the 1st infantry division patch but your Fatherís unit I have not found. ...
WWI4/15/2010
  Q: I've read some of your excellent answers concerning WWI about which I'm curious as to the causes ...
  A: Greetings Great question. The lead up to World War One is a very complex story of greed, jealousy, ...
WWll Japanese Rifle4/12/2010
  Q: I was hoping for an expert opinion. I just bought a WWII Japanese Rifle. I'm sure of a few things ...
  A: Greetings One character refers to type. There are several versions of the Arisaka Rifle. Another ...
shell casing4/11/2010
  Q: 1944 76mm M2 DB/C LOT 192 I have a shell casing with this info on the bottom can you give me any ...
  A: Greetings You have a shell from a US Army 76mm M1 cannon. This weapon was used on late models of ...
project on world war two4/11/2010
  Q: I have to do a project on world war two . My teacher said i can choose any aspect under ww2.But it ...
  A: Greetings There are so many topics. For example the development of Jet engines, Submarine ...
Blitzgreig4/7/2010
  Q: To what extent was Blitzgreig a revolutionary theory of warfare, and to what extent did operation ...
  A: Greetings Blitzkrieg is more of an evolution of early attack plans but uses new technology such as ...
world history4/2/2010
  Q: The Korean War, Gulf War, and The Iraqi War which one should the U.S. should we have entered sooner ...
  A: Greetings The Korean War the US had little choice. US troops in South Korea were attacked by North ...
U.S 45th Infantry Division during 19443/18/2010
  Q: I am currently writing a project about the American 45th Infantry Division and i would like to know ...
  A: Greetings The 45th attack on Epinal was started south of the city. Engineers managed to setup 3 ...
ww2 121st 8th infantry division3/18/2010
  Q: My grandfather was a messenger with the 121st 8th infantry division. He landed in Normandy on ...
  A: Greetings An Army messengerís job in World War 2 was primarily to deliver important documents and ...
30 cal machine guns3/17/2010
  Q: Knowing Hollywood movies are not 100% accurate I couldn't help but notice films about the ETO (Band ...
  A: Greetings The Pacific is a much warmer climate than Europe so water cooling the guns made them last ...
Holocaust3/16/2010
  Q: What were the different stages of the holocaust? How did the "Final Solution" evolve from previous ...
  A: Greetings The first stage was removing Jews from seen society. This was done in Germany before the ...
Panther Classification3/12/2010
  Q: What I wish to know is whether you would classify the Panther I as a medium tank or a heavy tank ...
  A: Greetings The Panther by the end of World War 2 was a medium tank. The Soviet IS-2, American M-26 ...
WWII 207th AAA Group3/10/2010
  Q: My father's discharge papers list him as: Bumgardner, John K 1st sgt CAC Service No: 20 445 220 ...
  A: Greetings The camp you are referring to is most likely Bergen-Belsen. This was very large camps ...
german hand gun3/6/2010
  Q: uncovered a ww2 german po8 luger from my fathers army chest. is there a way to trace the origine of ...
  A: Greetings The answer is maybe. There is a book you want to check out. It can be very expensive ...
ww2 patch id3/6/2010
  Q: ..i'm trying to identify a 1944 patch. i can send a scan...thanks, gary
  A: Greetings All experts does allow you to send scans with your question. That is the best way for me ...
japanese sword from iwo jima 19453/1/2010
  Q: i have a sword from my uncle who was in the 4th Marines who was in the battle for iwo jima. he gave ...
  A: Greetings Most Japanese swords taken by US troops were machine made. The prices depend on ...
Hurtgen forest2/24/2010
  Q: i was looking for information on the German Army re-supply lines to the units on the front in the ...
  A: Greetings Sorry for the delay. I donít have a large amount of information on the German Logistics ...
WWII Infantry Training and North Africa Capture2/22/2010
  Q: Two questions, if that is allowed. My father died over forty years ago when all of us kids were ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. From your information and the location of your father I would ...
p-38 glacier gal2/21/2010
  Q: there was an american team back in 1992 that recovered a p-38 from the ice in greenland to restored ...
  A: Greetings Iceland is becoming much more protective of it Glaciers. So few efforts to recover ...
Weapons in the battle of the Coral Sea2/20/2010
  Q: My sister is doing a reenactment of the battle of the coral sea and would like to know what small ...
  A: Greetings The Battle of Coral Sea was a carrier battle; US and Japanese naval forces did have small ...
shell end2/14/2010
  Q: i have a shell end that is from 1944-jrd lot 746 6 1n 47-cal-mk-4 6 ns-6, can you tell me anything ...
  A: Greetings You have the shell casing for a 6 inch US navy gun. This weapon was used on light ...
flying tigers question2/14/2010
  Q: is it true that the flying tigers fighting for nationalist china never came up against the japanese ...
  A: Greetings By the time the AVG or Flying Tigers got into operations the Japanese naval forces had ...
Japanese Katana World War 22/14/2010
  Q: I have 2 Katana issued to Japanese officers during world war 2. They are the type mass produced and ...
  A: Greetings Most personal files have been lost mainly to the bombings of Japanese cities. Also most ...
world war 22/8/2010
  Q: where would i find a detailed description of a russian infantry uniform?
  A: Greetings I would check out the 3 books below. Also I have included some websites that should help. ...
can you identify this plane?2/6/2010
  Q: can you identify this nazi plane from a 1939 antarctica expedition?
  A: Greetings I would be happy to help. The aircraft in Question is a Blohm and Voss Ha 139. A 4 ...
Machine gun2/3/2010
  Q: 1.What was the immediate impact of the machine gun? 2.Was there any long time change in warfare ...
  A: Greetings The immediate impact on the machine gun was limited. It takes awhile for tactics to ...
The battle of Hurtgen Forest1/29/2010
  Q: What tactics the American used during the advance in the forest to capture the Hurtgen forest? Were ...
  A: Greetings The US Army in the Hurtgen Forest used their standard fire and maneuver tactics. Fire ...
camo rain jacket1/25/2010
  Q: i think that i have a German or eastern European rain coat that may have been worn in the war. can ...
  A: Greetings The closest I can come up with as a match is a Swiss camouflage pattern used in the ...
WW2 Diver's Knife1/24/2010
  Q: I just purchased what seems to be a WW2 divers knife with Brass Sheath. I have done a little ...
  A: Greetings According to my research you have a Morse Diving Knife. Depending of it age it could be ...
brass shell1/22/2010
  Q: i have a solid brass shell . the only info i have on it is what is wrote on the bottom . which is ...
  A: Greetings You have shell from a British 6 pound gun. This was a ship based version mainly used in ...
artillary shell1/21/2010
  Q: hello i am a scuba diver and recently found what i believe is a two pound shell how can i trace the ...
  A: Greetings Some common markings on a 2 pound shell are a date such as 1941. Older shell would have ...
Colonial Cannon Ball1/10/2010
  Q: I have a colomial canon ball 4 pounds and 2 3/4 inches in diameter. Do you know if it is American or ...
  A: Greetings Robert The most likely weapon was the 4 Pound Galloper. This was similar to a ship ...
5in shell12/22/2009
  Q: can you tell me some info on the markings on the bottom of the round? i will give some of the ...
  A: Greetings 11-1944 is the month and date of manufacture. DEL is the short for Delaware most likely ...
Thompson submachine gun12/22/2009
  Q: I'm doing a history day project for school on the Thompson submachine gun. We need to interview an ...
  A: Greetings The Thompson was an expensive weapon to make compared the British Sten gun or the German ...
Thompson submachine gun12/21/2009
  Q: what did people think about the thompson when it first arrived on the streets? What were some flaws ...
  A: Greetings When Thompson Machine guns were made available to the public there was fear and curiosity. ...
WWII Bombing12/10/2009
  Q: I am doing an essay for my ICT course. I have to receive the info back via email before I can use ...
  A: Greetings First off a couple of things. One the US Army Air Forces targeted German industry in day ...
WWII katana12/8/2009
  Q: I recently bought a very nice katana, that I'd love to learn more about. I was told it's of the ...
  A: Greetings With a number on the blade it stands to reason that this sword is machine made. Most ...
148th Engineer Combat Bn12/6/2009
  Q: I am hoping you can help me out. My wife's father was a WW2 veteran and he died before I married my ...
  A: Greetings First it is quite possible your father in law was part of a different unit then the one he ...
I need information12/3/2009
  Q: I need to know some important events of world war II. I'm doing a timeline about WWII for school. ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. 1939 1. September 1 Germany invades Poland starting World War 2 ...
US AA guns/unit11/22/2009
  Q: I have been trying to trace my Grandfathers service during the war. He ended up with the 8th ...
  A: Greetings The Camp your father was most likely at was Camp Haan, Riverside in California. This ...
WW II bullets11/19/2009
  Q: I have bullets from WWII. I have no idea whether they are Army or Navy - had relatives in both. Any ...
  A: Greetings World War 2 ammunition is very common so not worth a lot. I would try EBay and see what ...
959th Field Artillery Bn. 1943-194611/18/2009
  Q: My father-in-law Cpl. Truman Q. Locke - serial no. 37 723 782 just passed away and we would love to ...
  A: Greetings As family members you can get your Father in lawís service records. I have several ...
smle rifle11/9/2009
  Q: Is it possible to trace which military regiment/s my 1920 no1 mk111* smle rifle was attached to? ...
  A: Greetings I donít have access to that information. I can recommend a website that is may be able ...
Modern military history and tactics11/7/2009
  Q: I'm a gamer, and I'm interested into military history. I don't know where to start with. Any ...
  A: Greetings I would start with a good general history of the Second World War. The below book is a ...
Project11/7/2009
  Q: 1. What are the similarities and the differences between the Sherman and the T-34? 2. How were the ...
  A: Greetings 1. The similarities of the Sherman Tank and the T34 are numerous. First they were easy ...
ww2 japanese swords11/4/2009
  Q: we have a japense sword from world war2. where can we find information about these swords. is there ...
  A: Greetings One of the ways to find out if the sword is machine made is to take off the handle. If ...
Artillery Tactics11/3/2009
  Q: I'm currently studying modern history more specifically the Western Front in WW1. now each person in ...
  A: Greetings For World War 1 at the begining the tactics were pretty simple. The big changes were ...
advancments in military weaponry11/2/2009
  Q: ok, I,m writing a term paper on weaponry adancement since ww2 to now and i think you can help me ...
  A: Greetings The best rifles of the 2nd World war were used long after the war. The US M-1 Garand ...
WW 2 weapons10/31/2009
  Q: I am trying to find some government documents regards to the weapons, plans, trucks, and etc was ...
  A: Greetings In the early 1930s the Ford built a car and Truck plant for the Soviets. So when US lend ...
SWORD10/24/2009
  Q: I KNOW YOU GET THIS SAME QUESTION MILLIONS OF TIMES. I HAVE A JAPANESE SWORD THAT WAS BROUGHT BACK ...
  A: Greetings Most captured World War 2 swords were massed produced; so your description of the hole ...
uss providence clg-610/24/2009
  Q: I was onboard the USS PROVIDENCE CLG-6 during the 1972 west pac cruise to VIETNAM. Sometime shortly ...
  A: Greetings Thanks for the website great photos on that site. As to the picture in question there is ...
Italian heavy Artillery Piece10/23/2009
  Q: There is, on an Italian stamp of 1942 (Scott#430, type a246) pictured a large caliber field gun. ...
  A: Greetings The closest gun to the picture is the Cannone da 152/37. This was not an original Italian ...
WW11 EAF pendant10/19/2009
  Q: I have this pendant that I would like to return to the owner/family. It is a silver color with the ...
  A: Greetings I have been unsuccessful in discovering much information on your pendant. I can ...
Military vehicle marking10/18/2009
  Q: What does the large diamond marking on many military vehicles mean? Thank you for your time ...
  A: Greeting The diamond is a tactical marking. This has several uses. One to identify the tank as a ...
SOVIET GAFFE10/11/2009
  Q: At the end of November 1939 (first days of WW2) the Soviet Russians suffered a gaffe or unlucky ...
  A: Greetings You are referring to the Soviet invasion of Finland from November of 1939 to March 1940. ...
I have a wepon shell10/6/2009
  Q: I have recently moved home and the old home owners gave me a ww2 wepon shell witch has been terned ...
  A: Greetings From your description I would have to say it is from an American 90mm antiaircraft ...
mnniegun10/3/2009
  Q: i raed somewhere that the gatling gun used by the jesse ventura character used was axcctually ...
  A: Greeting A very interesting weapon the XM-214 minigun was originally to be used on helicopters and ...
K98 Mauser9/29/2009
  Q: Previously you were asked the followingMr. Sutton: I have come into possession of what was described ...
  A: Greeting From your description I would say it is rebuilt to 3006. A gun smith might be able to ...
war history9/29/2009
  Q: i hear war history jobs are few and far between nowadays and i whould like advice. maybe i chould ...
  A: Greetings Your best bet is teaching at the college and high school levels. I love history but I am ...
WWII Japanese Sword9/28/2009
  Q: I have just inherited a sword from my father. He always told us he took it off a Japanese officer ...
  A: Greetings Most swords taken from the Japanese in World War 2 were machine made. Some soldiers did ...
re: Jacques Littlefield collection9/23/2009
  Q: Paul: I am trying set up a tour of this facility for a bunch of fellow M1 tanker vets. Efforts to ...
  A: Greetings I read on their website that their founder died in January so they are probably going ...
WW 2 APO Locations9/11/2009
  Q: Paul, My wife recently found some pictures of a family friend about whom little has been passed ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. APO 919 is Misawa Air Force base in Japan. The Base is ...
Japanese Sword9/4/2009
  Q: My father-in-law was in WWII and recently died and left my husband a Japanese sword with no history ...
  A: Greetings A wave down one of the edge may mean this is handmade weapon and very rare. You may have ...
American Infantry Squads In WWII8/31/2009
  Q: this has been annoying me for some time and I just found this website, so here is my question. ...
  A: Greeting Typically it would be a Sergeant but many times a Corporal would lead squads due to ...
French Empire8/30/2009
  Q: 1. I was wondering where do the French Empire (first colonial, second colonial, modern France, ...
  A: Greetings The problem with the French is they kept losing their holdings. In terms of culture ...
History of the aviation8/28/2009
  Q: I am interested in studying the history of the aviation, particularly U.S. civil and military ...
  A: Greetings First I wish you success. As to a good school I can say a couple that might be helpful. ...
Japanese Landing Craft8/28/2009
  Q: About 20 years ago I photographed part of the remains of a landing craft (which I think was a ...
  A: Greetings I can recommend some very good resources for you. ďJapanese Landing Craft of World War ...
1941 Brass Artillery Shell Base Origin?8/24/2009
  Q: I recently purchased what appears to be the brass base of a World War 2 artillery shell. I was ...
  A: Greetings You have a real treat. This shell is to a British 25 pounds artillery piece one of the ...
German bullets8/23/2009
  Q: An old friend who served in the 10th Mtn Div in Italy during WW11 told me the Germans sometimes used ...
  A: Greetings According to my research the Germans and Japanese used wooden bullets due the shortage of ...
WWII Shell/casing8/22/2009
  Q: My father in law has a pair of brass amunition shells possibly from WWII. they are 35mm across at ...
  A: Greetings They could be training shells or smoke shells. From the looks they look like they were ...
bayonet8/22/2009
  Q: i have a bayonet it has a wooded handle it has the clipping for a attachment . The markings that I ...
  A: Greetings Just a guess but it could be a M4 bayonet or M1905 bayonet. Both were produced in very ...
1878 springfield rifle8/13/2009
  Q: i was wondering if you know anything about my 1878 springfield rifle.the model number is 295694. on ...
  A: Greetings Pre World War One weapons are harder to get information about. The 1878 Springfield was ...
WW2 panamanian tanker8/13/2009
  Q: Good morning Paul - My dad was on a Panamanian tanker in WW2 around 1943. He later saw the same ...
  A: Greetings I apologize I have not been able to find the name of that ship. I can suggest some ...
76 mm m268/10/2009
  Q: I have a garage sale find that I got this weekend its a Brass cartridge case thats marked 76MM M26 ...
  A: Greetings This round most likely was used in an up gunned M4 Sherman, a M18 hellcat or M10 tank ...
WWII8/9/2009
  Q: In WWII there was a destroyer that came in contact with a german sub at night somewhere in the ...
  A: Greetings I believe you are referring to the USS Sutton. This Destroyer Escort took over the U-234 ...
Military History Careers/Beginnings8/6/2009
  Q: Mr. Sutton, This fall I will be starting my senior year in high school and I wish to pursue a ...
  A: Greetings Turning a love of history into a career is not an easy task. Most history majors end up ...
Weapons8/2/2009
  Q: Did the USA send supplies and weapons to USSR during WWII?
  A: Greetings Indeed the USA and the British supplied equipment and weapons to the Soviet Union from ...
spitfire engine7/31/2009
  Q: this has fallen out of the cliff face at Wimereux france 3km north of Boulogne. If seems to match ...
  A: Greetings The image could be a part of a Merlin engine that was used to power the Spitfire and a ...
France 1940 what if7/31/2009
  Q: Given that the Germans had air superiority over the Allies in the May 1940 invasion of the west, ...
  A: Greetings The French could have done much more to stall the Germans but they ran out to time. Once ...
identifying a rifle7/30/2009
  Q: Mr. Sutton: I have come into possession of what was described to me as a german infantry rifle from ...
  A: Greetings After the 2nd World War surplus German equipment showed all over the world. Many ...
WW2 aerial bomb7/26/2009
  Q: Some time ago I saw a History Channel program which showed an unusual aerial bomb. The bomb had a ...
  A: Greetings The British used several incendiary bombs that are similar to what you described. ...
Third/3rd Armored Division7/24/2009
  Q: Sir: My uncle is buried in the Brittany American Cemetary, St. James, France. He was in the 36th ...
  A: Greetings The 3rd Armored division was part of 1st Army and was based north of the Pattonís army. ...
Obtaining Military Army Service Number.7/24/2009
  Q: Could you please help with the above. I am unable to obtain my fathers' Army Service Number, and ...
  A: Greetings The best advice I can give is to check with your fatherís army friends or other people in ...
WW11 Marine corps Squadron7/20/2009
  Q: What WW11 Marine Corps squadron flew amphibious aircraft in the Pacific? What type or aircraft? I ...
  A: Greetings The US Marines shared the Consolidated PBY-1 Catalina with the US Navy. The 2nd Marine ...
african soldiers in WWII7/20/2009
  Q: On a recent trip to DR Congo, I came across a group of Congolese World War II veterans. They said ...
  A: Greetings I donít have a lot of information on this in my collection. I have found a few books but ...
table of organization and equipment ww27/13/2009
  Q: Iīm interesting to see the TOE of the airborne units,(specificall, the case of the 101 airborne ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. Officers typically did carry pistols; some enlisted did depend on mission. ...
WWII Japanese Sword7/10/2009
  Q: My grandfather fought in WWII and bought back with him a sword from a Japanese Officer. It is 26" ...
  A: Greetings Most swords brought home from Japan by US troop were machine made. Your sword sounds ...
Tanks of WW II7/6/2009
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I am completely ignorant of all things military. A gentleman I know, who was in the ...
  A: Greetings First very good research. The Ford M1917 was based on the Renault FT-17 tank. This small ...
Identity of Round6/22/2009
  Q: Mr. Sutton: I have reason to believe that the attached image is the nose portion of a World War II ...
  A: Greetings I believe you have shell to a 6 pound gun. His weapons dates to the 1880s and was mainly ...
WW2 Katana6/20/2009
  Q: I have a WW2 Katana given to me by my father. He found it in the basement of the old Kemi-Tai ...
  A: Greetings For insurance purposes you will want a sword smith to give you an estimate; the sword ...
WW-II Aircraft machine Guns6/13/2009
  Q: Paul, I was talking to my Father the other day about an old friend of his that served on an aircraft ...
  A: Greetings What your father was talking about is called synchronization gear. This was a mechanism ...
world war 2 tanks6/3/2009
  Q: was there a tank with 6 engines during world war 2?
  A: Greetings Indeed there was a 5 engine powered tank the Sherman. A version of the Sherman tank used ...
WW2 Battle strategies5/28/2009
  Q: what were some of the ww2 battle strategies? Were they successful?
  A: Greetings One the best know of the major strategies was static defense. This was the system the ...
Effects on Post-war5/27/2009
  Q: What major effects has the invasion of Normandy had on post-war warfare and world views?
  A: Greeting That question would make a great book. Normandy proved you could do strategic sea to land ...
About a Remington m1903-a3 rifle5/26/2009
  Q: I recently came into possession of a Remington model 1903-a3 (a4)? rifle thru a death in the family. ...
  A: Greetings Your rifle could be a Remington conversion. You found need a gunsmith to verify that. I ...
camp cooke ca 19515/21/2009
  Q: my dad was in Co A 317 Signal Construction BN Camp COoke Ca 1951-----what was construction? I know ...
  A: Greetings Signal Construction was a special branch of the signals corp. In order to keep enemies ...
520th Military Police Detachment5/20/2009
  Q: I was with the 520th MP Det., USARPAC, stationed at TAMC, during 1971 thru 1974...What has happened ...
  A: Greetings I have not found much on your unit. It may have been disbanded after the drawdown after ...
WW II 264th artillery5/20/2009
  Q: Do you have any information about U.S. Army 264th Field Artillery Battalion. I understand there was ...
  A: Greetings I must apologize as I have found very little. I do have some websites that may help. ...
Finding my fathers dog tags5/15/2009
  Q: I was wondering how to go about finding my fathers I.D number from when he was stationed in Germany. ...
  A: Greetings The best place is the below link to look up service information on your Father. ...
Hurtgen Forest5/14/2009
  Q: Have you seen a discussion of what could have the Allies done in Hurtgen other than skip the ...
  A: Greetings If I were approaching the battle I would look at putting dents in the forest. During the ...
wwii atomic bomb5/12/2009
  Q: What alternatives, if any, were put forward instead of the atomic bomb in bringing the war with ...
  A: Greetings There were a few alternatives to dropping the bomb but none were ideal. One invade ...
Hoax?5/12/2009
  Q: Please help me. Is this a hoax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalinin_K-7
  A: Greetings The K-7 was quite real. Soviet designers in the 1930s had some very advanced ideas for ...
Doctors in WW II5/6/2009
  Q: Hope you're the right expert to answer this. I'm writing a novel in which a young man (born 1920) ...
  A: Greetings Glad to help. First does he enlist in the US Navy or US Army? The US Navy supplied navy ...
WWII Draft Notice Form5/6/2009
  Q: I am currently putting together a USO style dinner, show and dance in Sonoma CA and would like to ...
  A: Greetings That is a fantastic idea. I have a few links with the form. You most likely will have to ...
WWII Military Stategies5/5/2009
  Q: I have to write a research paper on the tactics and strategies used by the U.S. during WWII. I was ...
  A: Greetings For the US the Grand strategy in World War 2 was to fight and win a two front war. To ...
Patton5/2/2009
  Q: Did General Patton take Palermo and messina without against the orders of montgomery? or was that ...
  A: Greetings First Patton was hurt on May 3, 1945 when an ox driven cart hit the Generalís jeep. The ...
Camp Ruston4/26/2009
  Q: My grandfather served in WW2 later in the war in Italy, and upon the end of the war was sent to Camp ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. Camp Ruston located in North Louisiana was built in 1942 at ...
ww2 tank warfare4/25/2009
  Q: where can i find quotes about ww2 tanks
  A: Greetings I can recommend a few books and several websites. I would look up tank commanders to find ...
World War 24/24/2009
  Q: I do not know if you do "what if" questions but here goes. Say you go back to 1941 when Hitler gave ...
  A: Greetings Interesting question and would be glad to help. I would say Hitlerís invasion of the ...
German Yourth Rifle4/21/2009
  Q: I have, what I have always been told, is a "German Youth Rifle. I received it from my Godfather, ...
  A: Greetings I believe you have a Mauser DSM-34. This .22 rifle was a popular training rifle. It was ...
General Patton4/17/2009
  Q: I am a 10th grade honors history student and I am researching General Patton. I would appriciate it ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. General Patton started out as a cavalry officer. Patton ...
Women in Combat4/17/2009
  Q: Who was the first woman killed in WWII - in NON combat and combat. Thank you!
  A: greetings From my research their names are lost to history but the first noncombat death of World ...
Nazi propaganda4/15/2009
  Q: I have to do a research paper for school and would like to ask you some questions on propaganda that ...
  A: Greetings 1. Joseph Goebbels was in charge of propaganda for the Nazis 2. Indeed the Nazi referred ...
Messerschmitt 4104/13/2009
  Q: Did the germans use the Me-410 any time as a night fighter. Thank you.
  A: Greetings The Me 410 was not used as a radar equipped night fighter. Some ME-410s were used as ...
5 inch MK 5 38 Caliber Shell Casing4/12/2009
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I read something you had written about your Dad having a 5 inch Naval 38 Caliber Shell ...
  A: Greetings The highest likelihood is that your shell came off of a destroyer likely a Fletcher class. ...
WWll shell case4/7/2009
  Q: forund this on the beach at Wimereux in cliff fall near german bunker system. Is it WWll or ...
  A: Greetings From the dimension I would have to guess a 75mm shell casing. Most shells have ...
WW II tank losses by type for the US, British, Russia and Germany?4/5/2009
  Q: I'm looking for info on "the big four" nations tank losses by specific types. I have found the ...
  A: Greetings I have a few figures for you The Soviet lost 83 500 tanks during the war. 3400 KV ...
Sherman tanks4/5/2009
  Q: I was told that Sherman tanks were powered by two 346 cid Cadillac engines. Is this true?
  A: Greetings The Sherman tank was powered by a variety of engines. Including a 400 horsepower rotary ...
Pre-WWII German companies conversion to Nazi control4/2/2009
  Q: Excuse my question if it seems silly, but I heard a person (non-historian) say in a speech that most ...
  A: Greetings I apologize for the delay. After the Nazis took over in the early 1930s many companies ...
tecnology3/26/2009
  Q: who had the greatest weapons during the war
  A: Greetings The Greatest Weapons of World War 2 would in my opinion be the Yamato class battleships, ...
maui,hi.army base3/17/2009
  Q: Looking for photos of the base in Maui during WWII
  A: Greetings I have included some links. The first link may have some pictures that you can use. The ...
range3/16/2009
  Q: "opened the range" in this sentence:"'Yubari' took four or five hits and quickly opened the ...
  A: Greetings Open the Range means to increase the range between a ship and its target. Naval ships ...
WW23/9/2009
  Q: I've just seen a TV program on WW2 that said, according to the Navy, the US Army participated in 56 ...
  A: Greetings A major landing would be any landing requiring naval gun fire; such as from Destroyers, ...
world war II shell3/7/2009
  Q: Paul, I have a world war II shell I dont know what gun or what it is. The shell is 4.850 inches ...
  A: Greetings What you have is an armor piercing shell for a M3 37mm antitank cannon. This was the US ...
WWII US MILITARY BASE listing3/5/2009
  Q: Paul, I have always enjoyed history and particularly WWII history. Have you ever come across any ...
  A: Greetings The best book I have found is ďForgotten Fields of America: World War II Bases and ...
wepon cal2/27/2009
  Q: well i am zack brawley i am 15 and know about every thing there is to know about world war II wepons ...
  A: Greetings For Germany the Mauser rifle or K98 used 7.92x57mm also the MG34 and MG-42 machine guns ...
B-29 WW22/23/2009
  Q: My great uncle flew on a B-29, serial # 42-24611 in WW2. It was nicknamed Little Jo and was ...
  A: The below email addresses are user I told you about before. Thank You dgoogins@hot.rr.com ...
empire2/22/2009
  Q: 1. Is Khmer empire more powerful than Aztec empire, Incan empire, and Mayan empire (lasted over ...
  A: Greetings Venetian and Byzantine are not in my top ten. Byzantine was part of the Roman Empire and ...
empires2/22/2009
  Q: 1. Does Ming, Tang, British, and Spanish Empire makes top ten empires? 2. What about Aztec, Inca, ...
  A: Greetings In my opinion the British, Rome, Mongol, Persian, Ottoman, Russian empire preSoviet ...
milatry technology2/18/2009
  Q: greetings--can you confirm whether the Kraz 214 engine had been copied by the Russians from the ...
  A: Greetings The KrAZ 214 truckís engine wasnít a copy of the Sherman. Most Sherman tanks sent to ...
empire2/18/2009
  Q: 1. Here is my lists of world major empires: Roman, Han, Tang, Song, Ming, Venetian, Ottomon, Huns, ...
  A: Greetings For major empires I would say Greek instead of Macedonia but that could fit. I would ...
Tanks2/17/2009
  Q: My name is Elwin Klappe and live in Holland, Europe. For my degree in Media & Entertainment ...
  A: Greetings Your English is fine. The PzKpfw III Ausf. G could have carried 2 different guns. A ...
Marine guns2/16/2009
  Q: im having trouble finding out the answer to this question because its rather specific. Im 13 and all ...
  A: Greetings The primary guns of the US Marines were the M1907 Springfield bold action rifle, the M-1 ...
WW II MOS2/13/2009
  Q: Mr. Sutton: My father was a member of the 255th Anti Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons BN, ...
  A: Greetings Your Fathers MOS doesnít exist today so it can difficult to find. What I have found was ...
Isoroku Yamamoto2/3/2009
  Q: Are there any quotes by Isoroku Yamamoto (WWII, Japan, Combinate Fleet) about how Pearl Harbor was ...
  A: Greetings The most positive was ďIn the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States ...
Marshall Islands campaign in WWII2/1/2009
  Q: I am doing a project specifically on the Marshall Islands campaign. After doing research I can't ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help. You want to look at 2 major battles; the Battle of Tarawa ...
Springfield 1903 rifle1/28/2009
  Q: Im trying to figure out the age of a springfield rifle that was made by the springfield armory. I ...
  A: Greetings 1294840 was built in 1928. So 81 years old 1382292 was built in 1931. So 78 years old. ...
Dr. Alexander Lippisch, German aviation designer1/26/2009
  Q: I'm a student at the University of Iowa working on a project about German aviation designer ...
  A: Greetings Alexander Lippisch was an aviation genius. His work with tailless and flying wing ...
Recon in WW 21/24/2009
  Q: Research so far shows that reconnaissance companies from divisional recon battalions were usually ...
  A: Greetings Recon teams were indeed large due the area they had to operate and the large number of ...
Samurai Sword1/23/2009
  Q: I am doing a report for college on Samurai. I have heard it said that during World War II there were ...
  A: Greetings The myth of a sword cutting a machine gun has been around for years. Did Japanese ...
Info on Remington model 19031/19/2009
  Q: I'm writting to see if you'd be able to help me with a rifle I own. I recieved from my dad a rifle ...
  A: Greetings Clearly you have a highly modified rifle. As a sniper rifle it was most likely modified ...
weapons uses in ww111/18/2009
  Q: what were the most effective weapons used in ww11 and what country had them . why were they more ...
  A: Greetings To start I would have to say first he B-29 bomber. One of the most advanced aircraft of ...
WWII British Anti-Infantry Artillery Rounds1/14/2009
  Q: I saw a game that had employed an overwatch feature on artillery weapons, in where a spot would be ...
  A: Greetings The US and Britain had radar proximity fused artillery shells. Originally designed for ...
National History Day Project; Isoroku Yamamoto1/13/2009
  Q: 1.) How important was Isoroku Yamamoto's impact for the Pacific War, even after his death. 2.) ...
  A: Greetings For your 1st question very important. Yamamoto designed the strategy for the Pacific war ...
WW II Katana1/12/2009
  Q: Sutton, I recently purchased what is in my opinion a gorgeous katana that I was told was from the ...
  A: Greetings You may have a Liondog, Guardian of Japan sword. Recently a company has been putting out ...
movie about the m36 Jackson1/10/2009
  Q: in the early sixties a movie was made about the M36 Jackson . I would like to know the title of this ...
  A: Greetings The M36 during the Battle of the Bulge was one the main reason the Germans were defeated. ...
Weapons used in the Pacific Theatre during WWII1/7/2009
  Q: I'm a seventh grade student at Johnson Middle School. I have a project I'm working on and I need ...
  A: Greetings The Best aircraft is a hard choice there are 2 I love the Japanese Zero or A6M and the ...
491st Military Police Escort Guard Company1/6/2009
  Q: Any information on the 491st Military Police Escort Guard Company located at Fort Custer, Michigan ...
  A: Greetings I have not been very successful. Fort Custer is still active; so I have found some links ...
Springfield 19031/5/2009
  Q: I have a Springfield mod.1903 that has been around for ever. At one point in its life the barrel was ...
  A: Greetings I would not shoot this weapon until the barrel has been replaced. With this age you need ...
U.S. springfield model 1903 rifle12/30/2008
  Q: We have been looking at a model 1903 Springfield Armory rifle. All of the pictures we have seen the ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help, but I donít sell parts for guns. I can recommend several ...
Harikari sword/ dagger?12/22/2008
  Q: Sir, I just had a few brief questions that I've been searching on the Internet for awhile now and ...
  A: Greetings Without an image it will only be a guess but it sounds like a Wakizashi blade. These ...
WW II Ammo12/17/2008
  Q: A friend gave me a WWII cartridge for identification. I hope you can help. The cartridge is about 7 ...
  A: Greetings What you have is a 20mm shell for a World War 2 anti aircraft cannon. Most likely the ...
M-1 carbine12/9/2008
  Q: I have M-1 carbine purchased thru NRA in 1967 Winchester s/n 1033656. I find it has one part marked ...
  A: Greetings In order to determine value you need to talk to a gun smith. Wear and tear can decrease ...
Korean War12/8/2008
  Q: Do you know why should Canada not have fought in the Korean War? Thanks for reading
  A: Greetings There were some isolationists in Canada who believed that helping Korea was not in the ...
Cannon Company 121st Infantry12/7/2008
  Q: Mr. Sutton, thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question. I have been researching, ...
  A: Greetings I have found some websites that may help. The first is a US Army site for getting ...
30 cal M-1 Carbine12/2/2008
  Q: I have winchester military carbine s/n 1033656 that I purchased fromm NRA for 17.50 in 1967. ...
  A: Greetings From its serial number the best dates I have for manufacture are February or March of ...
Old shell11/27/2008
  Q: My son inlaw receintly found this old shell on his property near Dunlap TN. They say the land used ...
  A: Greetings What you have may be a training round for M1897A4 75 mm field cannon. The round doesnít ...
one-pound gun11/26/2008
  Q: Mr. Sutton -- During WWII troops guarding the Soo Locks used a "one-pound anti-aircraft gun." Can ...
  A: Greetings The British had a very interesting weapon called the QF 1 Pounder. This 37mm automatic ...
World War II German "Observer"11/24/2008
  Q: In trying to research Luftwaffe pilot's badges, I discovered that there was also an "observer" ...
  A: Greetings An observer in the Luftwaffe typically was a navigator and or a bomb aimer. He could also ...
U.S. Springfield Armory 30-0611/23/2008
  Q: I have a U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903 Mark I rifle chambered in 30-06. Serial # dates the ...
  A: Greetings The RA stamp refers to Raritan Arsenal where the weapon was built. I donít have any ...
world war 1 and 2 technology11/18/2008
  Q: I would like to know how technological advancements from WWI to WWII changed the way wars were waged
  A: Greetings The major technological advancement from World War 1 to World War 2 were radar, small ...
Jap subs (I class)11/11/2008
  Q: I have read that while we were bombing japan with our 2 Atomic bombs, 3 Jap I class were headed for ...
  A: Greetings I believe you are referring to the I-400 and their last mission in 1945; the Japanese had ...
German WWII small arms11/11/2008
  Q: Near the end of WWII, I had heard that the Germans used used small arms that fired German ammunition ...
  A: Greetings FN during World War 2 made parts for the Mauser 98k. After World War 2 FN modified many ...
Nazi Division strenght at the end of WWII11/10/2008
  Q: What were the exact strengths of the German army, in terms of number of divisions, at the time of ...
  A: Greetings The Germans had 54 divisions dedicated to the western theater. In the East the Germans ...
North American Eastern War Time Zone11/7/2008
  Q: Can you tell me the reasoning for establishing North American Eastern War Time Zone? Can you ...
  A: Greetings During the 2nd World War the East Coast of the USA was considered a battle zone. German ...
Shell casing11/7/2008
  Q: I have what I have always thought of as my fathers shell casings but am not sure. My son is having ...
  A: Greetings What you have is starter cartage for a jet engine. In the early days of jet engines ...
Japanese Landing Craft10/31/2008
  Q: During WWII the Japanese had around half a dozen different types of landing craft. Any information ...
  A: Greetings My own collection is sparse when it comes of Japanese landing craft. I have found some ...
A 2nd Hitler Retreat at Langenhain, Germany10/28/2008
  Q: I recently returned from Germany and a "re-visit" to my old caserne in Friedberg (Hesse) now closed ...
  A: Greetings The German people have tendency to bury the ghosts of World War 2. I donít have detailed ...
Japanese-American internment camps...10/27/2008
  Q: Do you know of any Japanese-American citizens that fled the U.S. to avoid the internment camps? If ...
  A: Greetings There is some evidence that some Japanese-Americas may have fled to Mexico. There is an ...
Churchill & his allies May 194010/27/2008
  Q: Is it true, that Churchill lied about the actions of the Belgian King and his army leading up to the ...
  A: Greetings I would have to say no. Belgium was for the most part occupied by the Germans when the ...
The war on land Schieffen Plan10/26/2008
  Q: Can you name some things that can symbolize this topic? And give details for it. Thanks in advance
  A: Greetings Germany pre World War 1 faced any future conflict fighting on 2 fronts. Germanís main ...
Third Armored Division vs. Third Army10/23/2008
  Q: My father fought in the Third Armored Division which was part of the First Army. The #rd AD was ...
  A: Greetings Change can be a difficult thing. Historians like to keep the same data and not have ...
ww110/22/2008
  Q: what were some of the major battle strategies for germany and france during ww1
  A: Greetings For the Germans the major battle plan was called the Schlieffen plan. This battle plan ...
Weapons10/21/2008
  Q: What were the German tanks called that were used in WW2 inn North Africa? I know about the Panzers ...
  A: Greetings The most common German tanks in North Africa were the Panzer 3 and Panzer 4 tanks. Both ...
Springfield M192210/11/2008
  Q: You answered a question from me recently about a Springfield M1922 MI, .22 caliber, M2 bolt assembly ...
  A: Greetings To use .22lr cartridges you need may a special holder. A special steel adapter shaped ...
Springfield 190310/6/2008
  Q: I inherited a Springfield rifle from my Grandfather who did arm testing during WWII. For some reason ...
  A: Greetings A good place to start looking for parts would be www.sarcoinc.com for your 1903 ...
Great Britain WW1 military experts10/2/2008
  Q: Who or what do I need to know about Great Britain Military Experts? I need to know for a class ...
  A: Greetings Britainís best experts in my opinion were naval commanders. Admiral Nelson defeated a ...
Shell casing9/29/2008
  Q: I have a brass shell casing approximately 16cm long and approximately 4cm at the base. Engraving on ...
  A: Greetings You might have a German 37mm antitank shell casing. From your description I believe it ...
Allies and the war9/29/2008
  Q: What was the greatest area in which the Allies had the decided advantage in? And how did that enable ...
  A: The top areas of advantage over the Axis countries were man power, production capability, navy ...
WWII Outfit re My Dad9/27/2008
  Q: Paul, I'm in the midst of writing up my dad's experience in WWII. He's now 84, and memory not as ...
  A: Greetings This looks right but I have not found an I Company under the 16th regiment. Under the 18 ...
OLD WWII Shell casing.9/26/2008
  Q: Just picked up an old WWII shell casing. It' 13 5/8 inches long. Diameter is 3 3/8 inches at the ...
  A: Greetings This is a shell casing for the French 75mm Model 1897 field artillery piece. DEC stands ...
Sherman Tank9/22/2008
  Q: Sir: Where can I find surplus or scrap parts of a WWII Sherman tank? Thank you Bill
  A: Greetings Not easy to find parts but there are some companies that might have what you need. The ...
Nazis on Colombia-Panama border9/15/2008
  Q: In an interview with Pablo Escobar, he tells that when he build a cocaine factory on the jungle in ...
  A: Greetings Pablo Escobar liked to scare people; what better to scare people than the fear of Nazis. ...
1st Inf Div WWII9/12/2008
  Q: My deceased uncle's WW II discharge papers show his unit as Co B, 18th Armored Infantry Bn, 1st Inf ...
  A: Greetings According to my research the 1st Infantry Division didnít have an 18th Armored Infantry. ...
1st Inf Div - WWII9/12/2008
  Q: Paul, My uncle was in WWII from '41 to '45 with the ist Inf Div. His discharge papers show him in ...
WW2 Research9/8/2008
  Q: Sutton, I was delighted to have happened across this website while doing WW2 research late last ...
  A: Greetings It would be an honor to help. Question 1. To go from Private to PFC was easy. After ...
Usage of flame throwers in the Pacific during World War 29/1/2008
  Q: Can you tell me if flame throwers were by used by US forces as early as the 1942 in the invasion of ...
  A: Greetings Flame throwers were delivered to US troops on Guadalcanal in late 1942 but were not used ...
WWI AAA AW weapons8/28/2008
  Q: My dad was in the 792nd AAA AW bn during WWII in Europe. His unit landed in the later days of the ...
  A: Greetings The weapons of this unit would have included the 90mm antiaircraft cannon model M-3, the ...
doesn't like subject8/22/2008
  Q: subj: 6 inch 47 mk 6 mod 0 I was stationed in Subic Bay Naval Shipyard from June of 1972 through Aug ...
  A: Greetings According to my research it most likely came from the USS Springfield or the USS Topeka. ...
6 inch 47 MK 6 MOD 08/22/2008
  Q: i have a question for you and am unable to send email to you. pls contact me thanks craig
The cold war8/18/2008
  Q: I don't know if this fall into your expertise but here gos.I found this old heavy map in my ...
  A: Greetings This sounds like an air defense map. This map would have been used to plan defensive ...
World War II Allied Stars on tanks8/15/2008
  Q: I have noticed that US tanks during World War II had different types of Allied Stars painted on ...
  A: Greetings The Star was a universal sign of US combat units. The White star on the Green background ...
panzer 4 gun recoil8/14/2008
  Q: I would like to know what the recoil length of the 75mm KwK40 L/43 and the 75mm KwK40 L/48 was. ...
  A: Greetings The 75MM KwK40 had a length of almost 11 and Ĺ feet. As to weight it was just over 3,000 ...
MILITARY BOX8/12/2008
  Q: I BOUGHT THIS BOX AT A GARAGE SALE WAS TOLD IT WAS ARMY MILIATARY BOX BUT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK ...
  A: Greetings It might be a Barracks locker. At the end of a soldierís bed in basic training was a ...
WWII Tanks8/8/2008
  Q: I am nine years old and I want to know if the tanks had lights so they could travel in dark ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. Tanks had lights on them for driving on roads but in battles ...
Japanese Submarine I - 528/6/2008
  Q: I just finished reading the book Battleground Atlantic by Richard Billings about the I - 52 sub, but ...
  A: Greetings At the current time there are no plans to get the gold on I-52. The Depth of 17,000 feet ...
ww2 destroyer8/5/2008
  Q: My step fathers dad died in ww2 aboard a destroyer that disguised itself as a freighter. Any ideas ...
  A: Greetings USS Atik was a US navy Qship. A disguised freighter that was armed; it was sunk by a ...
Arab involvement in WWII8/4/2008
  Q: Sir, I have for a while, without success, tried to find a book which details the Arab worlds ...
  A: Greetings Here are some books that might help. Thank You North Africa, Islam and the Mediterranean ...
Allied occupation of Germany: 1945 ++8/3/2008
  Q: I need to know the details in relatively exact numbers of the occupying forces over the post-war ...
  A: Greetings The US maintained around 250,000 US Army Troops in Germany until 1990 and with the end of ...
1903 sniper rifle7/30/2008
  Q: I am inquireing about a U.S. rockisland Arsenal rifle #134219 model 1903. the barrel does not have a ...
  A: Greetings Price is very greatly on antique weapons. I have seen prices up to 700-1000 dollar and ...
Japanese Sub I-527/18/2008
  Q: I am doing research on Japanese Sub I-52. and Well have come to find out that information released ...
  A: Greetings If I were you I could begin looking into a Japanese group called 731. This unit based ...
SAMURAI SWORDS7/13/2008
  Q: I read your write up on the weapons used by the Japanese army with great interest.I recently came ...
  A: Greetings Naval officers and Artillery men carried a short sword or long dagger sometimes called ...
Vehicle/Tank Costs in USD...6/29/2008
  Q: I am looking for costs of vehicles especially tanks in USD. During the Interwar years and during ...
  A: Greetings P-51 Unit cost, US$50985 in 1945 P-47 cost about $83,000 B-17 ďFlying FortressĒ cost ...
Springfield M19226/28/2008
  Q: In cleaning out my mother-in-law's house, I found an old rifle belonging to my father-in-law and I ...
  A: Greetings This rifle was a training rifle for target practice. It was developed from the 1903 ...
wwII torpedo propeller6/26/2008
  Q: i have what i believe to be an authentic wwII torpedo propeller for auction on ebay, a couple of ...
  A: Greetings I wish I could be sure. Most World War 2 Mark 14 and Mark 15 torpedoes had squared off ...
WW1 rifles6/25/2008
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I have found the serial number of my grandfather's rifle he used in WW1(363219). Is ...
  A: Greetings Both the American Enfield and the 1903 Springfield used that serial number. If I were to ...
WW2 tank anti-infantry armament6/20/2008
  Q: I would be interested to know how different tank armaments used on WW2 tanks compared to each other ...
  A: Greetings Tank and APC mounted machine guns were only for close range fighting. HE rounds were ...
Aircraft guns6/11/2008
  Q: Would like to know how the machine guns on fighter planes were controlled. Were they electrically ...
  A: Greetings Most were electrically fired. The Trigger was an electric switch on the control stick. ...
Re: World War II Weapons6/9/2008
  Q: My FINALS is to create a presentation on the weapons of World War II. I must be able to provide ...
  A: Greetings One of the best books on World War 2 is ďA Short History of World War IIĒ by James L. ...
WW II German tanks, use of captured equipment6/5/2008
  Q: In WW 2 when the Germans invaded Russia they captured a great deal of enemy equipment including ...
  A: Greetings Indeed the Germans hundreds of captured T-34s. The Germans mainly captured the T-34/76 ...
U. S. Navy 1944 6 IN 47 Cal MK 4 Shell Casing6/3/2008
  Q: Inherited this from my father a World War II vet who served in the Pacific from Pearl Harbor to ...
  A: Greetings The US 6inch gun was the main armament of the US light cruisers. Heavy cruisers had ...
island hopping in the pacific during WWII5/28/2008
  Q: I have to write a paper on the strategy of Island Hopping for a High School History paper and I was ...
  A: Greetings The tactics for taking each island is a little different but here is the basic strategy. ...
Hitler's tactics in WW25/26/2008
  Q: To what extent were Hitler's tactics reponsible for the defeat of Germany in WW2? I realise he got ...
  A: Greetings Hitler made many mistake and can be credited for several success. One of his successes ...
WW2 US Army Squad5/26/2008
  Q: What was the TO&E of a US Army Rifle Squad during WW2? Did it change between early WW2 and late ...
  A: Greetings Early in World War 2 the US Army had millions of 1903 Springfield. So a squad would have ...
Army Base name5/23/2008
  Q: My father in law Rudy Fumi was in the Army and based in Hawaii at the time of the attack on Pearl ...
  A: Greetings You are correct. There is no Sheffield Base in Hawaii. Schofield Barracks was first ...
1940: German army vs. French army5/22/2008
  Q: It has been my understanding that the German army in 1940 was smaller than the French army. Did the ...
  A: Greetings Indeed the French had 5 million trained men. Many French troops were reservist and a ...
World war II5/11/2008
  Q: What were the tactics or war plan of each main power during world war 2 (Mainly United States, ...
  A: Greetings For World War 2 war planning was a matter of opportuntary and reevaluation. Many ...
WW2 - Me 2625/3/2008
  Q: My question regards the development of the aircraft and a hypothetical situation. Firstly the Me ...
  A: Greetings The ME262 had a few problems getting into service. One was the engines; the Juno 004 was ...
WWII katana5/1/2008
  Q: I have been told that many of the officers swords produced for WWII were made from steel from ...
  A: Greetings Some Japanese swords might have been made from Chinese rail lines, but I have no proof of ...
bomber losses in europe ww2( us )4/28/2008
  Q: Paul,have bet going on US bomber losses in the overall european theatre in WW2,also the comparison ...
  A: Greetings There is some debate as to the numbers but here are the best I have. Aircraft Lost B-17 ...
nucler weaponary used on ww2 pow's4/13/2008
  Q: can you supply any info either written or on the web of the use of a atomic blast on jewish ...
  A: Greetings There is no evidence of a German atomic bomb being tested during World War 2. There is a ...
WWII Panther tanks & Panzer Knock-outs4/12/2008
  Q: On the outside of WWII German Panther Tanks, there is a tube like structure that was often carried ...
  A: Greetings This was an air tube so the Panther tank could cross streams and even small rivers and ...
Hollywood vs History4/11/2008
  Q: I'm interested in the Hollywood vs History angle. The film "300" won big at the box office so it ...
  A: Greetings There several historical movies I love that are not close to being accurate and some that ...
Discovery, Decision, Design project4/3/2008
  Q: I am an 8th grade student and for our English class we were given a project to research something of ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to help Question 1 American tanks did have some advantages over ...
WW2..Grandfather3/28/2008
  Q: Sutton....I am having trouble putting together exactly what my grandfather did in ww2, but I do have ...
  A: Greetings The US military and especially the Navy love abbreviations. My Father is retired US ...
30 cal. water cooled machine gun3/25/2008
  Q: When was the last Weapons Company, 30 cal. machine gun platoon disband in the Marine Corps. Was it ...
  A: Greetings I have not found the information you were looking for. But I have found some place that ...
World War II Katana Sword3/24/2008
  Q: We recently acquired a World War 2 katana sword, believed to be from Burma, it has Japanese ...
  A: Greetings Most World War 2 Japanese swords were machine made. They were turned out in the tens of ...
tanks3/19/2008
  Q: I have some small tanks with antennas on acouple of them.--I was told they were used in ww2 as ...
  A: Greetings There were many types of radio control tanks during World War 2. The Germans had a radio ...
Katana use in WWII3/12/2008
  Q: I've heard that there are examples from WWII where Japanese soldiers were able to win battles using ...
  A: Greetings The Japanese did not win any major battles using their swords in World War 2. Japanese ...
WORLD WAR II AMMUNITION BOX3/5/2008
  Q: I have a box that belonged to my father. It is a WORLD WAR II AMMUNITION BOX, 15-1/2" Deep X 22" ...
  A: Greetings Most likely a museum might want the item. As for how much it is worth, an inert depth ...
Roosevelt & Russia & "Pre-War" Base Exchange?2/27/2008
  Q: Mr. Sutton, Suppose that after the 1940 election, President Roosevelt had gotten through Congress a ...
  A: Greetings Nice idea. Germany was on a collusion course with Russia and war was likely. The Soviet ...
Major Battles durring WW22/20/2008
  Q: I was wondering if maybe you could help me out with the major battles in the Pacific for the united ...
  A: Greetings Here are my picks for the Pacific. Enjoy the links Major Battles of the Pacific Pearl ...
Post War Status WW2 for U.S.2/19/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you could possibly help me out with the Post War Status of the United States ...
  A: Greetings With the end of World War 2 the US quickly shrank the Military. Millions of soldiers were ...
WW2 Battle Tactics and Strategies for US.2/19/2008
  Q: Hey Paul just wondering if you can give me a little bit of background on the Battle Tactics and ...
  A: Greetings Before World War 2 the main strategies for dealing with Japan was Plan Orange. The main ...
Hitler1/29/2008
  Q: What in the world did Hitler and the others have against the Jews? Killing 6 million was the ...
  A: Greetings Hatred for Jews or Anti-Semitism has a long History in our world. Hitlerís personal rage ...
tracer rounds.1/25/2008
  Q: What was the first year the tracer round was "standardized" with the US military? I know Russia was ...
  A: Greetings Incendiary rounds existed before World War 1 and were used by Lewis machine guns against ...
WW2 rank1/21/2008
  Q: Over the past summer garage-saling me and some friend stopped at a older mans house. He had cool ...
  A: Greetings This is a First Sergeant Rank. This could be US Army or US Marines. If it gold than ...
m1 carbine1/20/2008
  Q: My Dad used to be in the surplus busines and I am trying to find a site or book to id some scabbards ...
  A: Greetings I can recommend 2 books U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, 5th Revised and Expanded ...
M1 Carbine issue history1/15/2008
  Q: I have an M1 carbine mfg by Standard products, serial 2149929, with an Underwood barrel dated 8-43. ...
  A: Greetings First I thank you for your service. As to your weapon it was made in 1943 after August ...
WW1 Post War Status1/15/2008
  Q: Can you please help me with the post war status of Great Britain after World War One? It must be no ...
  A: Greetings Great Britain came out of World War One with a very mixed bag. Britain still had the ...
torpedo propeller1/14/2008
  Q: I bought a torpedo prop at an auction recently and was wondering if you could tell me anything about ...
  A: Greetings A company called Lesnor Maehr patented a design for advanced propellers in 1960. They ...
WWII personality1/12/2008
  Q: I am looking for biographical information on a General Conley who was at Camp Blanding in 1944. My ...
  A: Greetings From my information the General Edgar T Conley you refer to was born in 1874. He served ...
Pistol & ammo1/12/2008
  Q: My Dad gave me a Walther PP 7.65mm in great shape, SN. #110579 P. I have found alot of info. on the ...
  A: Greetings Indeed much of the information is on the gun not on the ammunition. I currently have any ...
WW1 battle tactics and strategies.1/9/2008
  Q: I was wondering what kind of battle tactics or strategies that Great Britain used? If you can please ...
  A: First I apologize for the delay; a busy time at work. Great Britainís main strategy in World War 1 ...
WWII1/9/2008
  Q: Please tell me what part (s) of the Netherlands remained in German hands in early September 1944?
  A: Greetings Germany controlled all of the Netherlands until September 12, 1944 when US soldiers ...
W W I I Tanks1/5/2008
  Q: I have been told that some WWII tanks had Cadillac V8 flat head engines and hydromatic ...
  A: Greetings Indeed the M5A1 Stuart light used 2 Cadillac V8 flat head engines and an automatic ...
division make up1/4/2008
  Q: Following is a description of a "infantry division" but what I am interested in is the typical make ...
  A: Greetings The US army 2 types of armored division the Heavy and the Light. The Heavy division had ...
WWII USMC SubMachine Guns1/2/2008
  Q: There was a .45 cal submachine gun the USMC tried in the early part of the war. It had a straight ...
  A: Greetings The weapon in question is the Model 50, 55, or 60 Reising submachine gun. Developed just ...
M1 CARBINE1/1/2008
  Q: I have bought a 30 cal carbine (universal #424259) need a varmit rifle for my farm. I have not fired ...
  A: Greetings I would have the gun looked at by a professional gunsmith preferably one with experience ...
m1 carbine12/28/2007
  Q: paul i have a m1 carbine and it says us carb 30 cal,, these numbers 6555755 are on this gun my ...
  A: First a nice weapon a favorite of mine. According to the Serial number your gun was made in 1945 by ...
World War 2 Aircraft12/25/2007
  Q: How efficient was the DH Mosquito as a fighter? Could it outfly and outshoot the FW 190? If so, why ...
  A: Greetings The Mosquito was a good fighter but it was not a dogfighter. Its advantage lay in its ...
70mm shell, what gun is it from?11/28/2007
  Q: A friend of mine had a grandfather who fought in Europe during WW2 and after his grandfather past ...
  A: Greetings The Japanese had a 70mm Gun during World War 2 call the Type 92 Japanese Howitzer. This ...
Springfield rifle11/20/2007
  Q: I was given a Springfield rifle, 30-06, by a neighbor who pasted away and was interested on finding ...
  A: Greetings The 1903 Springfield was a great bolt action rifle. It was based on the 1898 Mauser ...
Oct.10, 1937 Amphib op Hangzhou China by 3 Japanese divisions11/20/2007
  Q: I have a possible KIA letter of Superior Private Yamada Yoshio with date of Oct. 10, 1937 refers to ...
  A: Greetings The China Incident was the start of a war between China and Japan that began in 1937. At ...
History of 873rd Bomber Squadron10/22/2007
  Q: When I was a child, my mother told me that her brother had a child that was killed in WWII. She said ...
  A: Greetings It would be an honor to help. The War in the Pacific had ended in August of 1945. ...
japanese Nazi relations10/18/2007
  Q: I liked the question that you proposed about what was the extent of the Japanese Nazi relations ...
  A: Greetings There are many books I can recommend. There are 3 below also check out the below ...
machine guns10/15/2007
  Q: Where can I find information about the connection between machine guns and the death toll in wars of ...
  A: Greetings The numbers are in the millions more than likely tens of millions. I donít have an exact ...
War room recreation10/9/2007
  Q: I'm looking to recreate a WWII era war room, particularly a hypothetical strategy meeting that would ...
  A: Greetings Model making for maps during World War 2 was haphazard job. I have found that some models ...
adolf hitler10/9/2007
  Q: what do you think hilters plans for japan were, being allies. being that he wanted superior race ...
  A: Greetings Hitler wanted Japan to attack the USSR in 1941. If Japan could bottle up enough forces ...
Japanese Military units location9/30/2007
  Q: this is not your exact area but I would like to find out where Japanese Eastern Division, No 37 Unit ...
  A: Greetings The best information I have is that that the Imperial Japanese Army Division 37 served in ...
Rifle markins9/17/2007
  Q: I have a rifle that was passed down from my father with te markings U.S SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1903 WITH ...
  A: Greetings The Springfield 1903 was based on a German Mauser rifle. Many before World War 1 the US ...
30 M1 Carbine9/15/2007
  Q: The section covering the top of barrel is metal instead of wood at the rear right behind the sight ...
  A: A great weapon the M-1 Carbine. I believe that what you are looking at is the manufacturer Inland. ...
German trucks & TO&E9/7/2007
  Q: Do you have any hard figures on German truck production in WWII? As far as I can ascertain it ...
  A: Greetings Your figures are very accurate. Due to allied bombing truck productions was greatly ...
1941 US canteen9/7/2007
  Q: I'm trying to find a US canteen marked '1941'-- I can find the cups, but not the canteen itself. ...
  A: Greetings In 1941 the US entered war in December. There were not enough troops on overseas duty to ...
Afrika Korps Logo9/1/2007
  Q: Where can I find pictures of the various permutations of the Afrika Korps logo that featured the ...
  A: Greetings I have a few websites for you. The one ending in .gif and the other ending in .jpg have ...
W\W2 German Reserve Battalion8/22/2007
  Q: Could you please tell me about the first company, Grennider Reserve Battalion 471st Regiment of the ...
  A: Greetings I have found almost nothing. There is a book called ďThe German Order of Battle: ...
nazi germany8/6/2007
  Q: how did the hitler and the nazis control news, media and propaganda. can i have at least 4 control ...
  A: Greetings There were many tactics to deal with newspapers, media and other propaganda. Once Hitler ...
nazi military control methods8/3/2007
  Q: so i would like to ask you the question. what were some methods prefably more than four ways that ...
  A: Greetings Before World War 2 the German Army was enticed to support the Nazis by the elimination of ...
nazi military control methods8/3/2007
  Q: What are were some methods used by the nazis to control the military?
WW2 Tank Production Shermans vs Heavy Tanks6/19/2007
  Q: Is it true that one reason the American failed to develop a heavy tank for much of WW2 and stayed ...
  A: Greetings The major reasons for the lack of American Heavy tanks were the desire not to slow down ...
WWII Diesel engines6/1/2007
  Q: I sometimes read about supposedly diesel powered American vehicles used in WWII. As a WWII ...
  A: Greetings Indeed there was some diesel US made vehicles. A Sherman variant used a diesel engine, ...
katana sword WWII5/26/2007
  Q: I have recently purchased a WWII Katana. It is in average condition. It is 42.5 inches with a ...
  A: Greetings Most Japanese World War 2 blades were machine made. If it was hand made it would be ...
Dunkirk5/13/2007
  Q: Some sources said that Hitler wanted Peace and he offered that after the falling of France! He ...
  A: Greetings Hitler admired the British Empire. Many believe that the Germans could have destroyed ...
WW2 941st FA5/13/2007
  Q: My Father also served with the 941st. HqHq Bty., Comm's Platoon, Wire Section as field lineman & ...
  A: Greetings I have 3 websites for you. One is a veteran help page. The other is an Ahern family ...
proximity fused shells5/6/2007
  Q: With the present miniaturizing of things, has there been any progress made of making the VT fuses ...
  A: Greetings The state of the art for proximity fuses is a 25mm round developed by Picatinny. This ...
WWII-5th Foreign Legion Regiment5/5/2007
  Q: Paul-here is a far out question that even the FFL web site cannot answer. In March 1945 the Japanese ...
  A: Greeting I have found very little information of event in French Foreign Legions march to China but ...
WW2 tanks4/23/2007
  Q: and im reachering tankware fare in the battle of Gazala and mostly in North Africa. I was wondering ...
  A: Greeting The crew of a tank varied. The British Valentines normally had a crew of 3 driver, ...
wwi document4/21/2007
  Q: I have found what seems to be an original document dated 1917. It has " The President of the United ...
  A: Greetings The document you have is a Commissioning letter. This would be a letter a person gets ...
World War 24/7/2007
  Q: Im sorry to bother you...but do you know why there was a drop in high school enrollment by like a ...
  A: Greetings There were several reasons for the change in enrollment at US high schools during World ...
121st Infantry Regiment, 8th Div., 1st Army4/2/2007
  Q: My uncle PFC Levi F. Norman, 37,579,095, was a member of the 121st Infantry Regiment, 8th Div., 1st ...
  A: Greeting I have found several websites that might help including one for the 8th division. Also the ...
30 carbine M13/17/2007
  Q: I have an M1 carbine made in 1943. it is in great shape with some scars in the wood. it is in great ...
  A: Greetings As for price an M-1 I have seen prices from 400 to over 2000 dollars. It depends on the ...
snipers1/2/2007
  Q: My son is doing a report on the history of snipers from WW1 - present. Are their any sites or books ...
  A: Greetings A great place to start is Wikiedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper I also recommend ...
Adolf Hitler1/1/2007
  Q: What were the features of Hitler's military strategy during world war II?
  A: Greetings Hitlerís strategy was complex and ever changing plan. Hitler didnít believe that France ...
best websites on military subjects12/29/2006
  Q: Is there any one website that i can visit about general warfare and weapons and tactics?
  A: Greetings I can recommend a couple of web sties one is Global security and the other is a US Air ...
Sherman Tank's Ford V-8 engine12/22/2006
  Q: I am iterested in learning more about the Ford V-8 engie that was in some Sherman tanks. Can you ...
  A: Greetings I have found a few websites that will help and one book you might want to check out. ...
Hurtgen Forest12/20/2006
  Q: I am undertaking a screenplay about the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest. It may be alot to ask, but i ...
  A: Greetings First I want to apologize for the delay. I have 4 websites that have exactly what youíre ...
Afrika Korps12/1/2006
  Q: Why did Rommell and his desert rats that fought in North Africa, call themselves the "Afrika Korps" ...
  A: Greetings In the German language The K is used instead of C. Also when the press reported on the ...
Battle of Hurtgen Forest11/20/2006
  Q: In the Battle of Hurtgen Forest in WW2: What Troops were involved in the battle (and what are ...
  A: Greetings The troops in the battle were from the US the 1st Infantry comprised of 16th Infantry ...
What if question about Germany invading mainland US11/17/2006
  Q: I was watching a show where Nazi Germany managed to invade the US, taking over much of the eastern ...
  A: Greetings Before World War 1 Germany wanted colonies and the Pacific Ocean was an ideal spot for ...
artillery11/14/2006
  Q: my name is isaiah i am doing my senior project on the history of artillery, please could you help me ...
  A: Greetings The history of artillery is almost a thousand years old. Artillery came out of early ...
POWs11/7/2006
  Q: I was told the German POWs were used to help build the Denison Dam on red river between Texas and ...
  A: Greetings Indeed there were no POW camps in Grayson county Texas, but there was a major POW camp in ...
battleships, military thinkers11/3/2006
  Q: What highly influential nineteenth century military thinker stressed climatic battleship engagements ...
  A: Greetings Two names come to mind. One was Alfred Mahan who wrote the book The Influence of Sea ...
Japanese tactics11/1/2006
  Q: As a followup to the Midway discussion, there's the question of Japanese risk taking. It appears ...
  A: Greetings I must say a very good question. The Japanese at Midway realized that Midway would and ...
molotov cocktails11/1/2006
  Q: I'm wondering if you can give me some background information concerning the origins of the molotov ...
  A: Greetings The Molotov cocktail came out of the Spanish civil war. It was one of the first infantry ...
Midway, naval tactics10/18/2006
  Q: As I reviewed your several answers, I noted that naval warfare in WW2 wasn't discussed much. Perhaps ...
  A: Greetings I would be honored to answer your question. I answer questions I am asked, not as many ...
WW2 shell casing from 3.7inch gun10/5/2006
  Q: I have a shell casing from a 3.7inch gun printed on the bottom is 1942 lot 911 DB/C C.F it was given ...
  A: Greetings My name is Paul Sutton and about 5 years ago you asked me a question about 3.7mm shell. ...
WWII Artillery9/27/2006
  Q: I'm searching for a photo of a 4.5 inch artillery piece for my uncle who is now 90 years old and has ...
  A: Greeting I believe the problem is the 4.5 inch gun was of British manufacture. I found 1 website ...
Relative size of German/French armies in 19409/25/2006
  Q: I have always heard that entering the Battle of France in 1940, the French army was the largest in ...
  A: Greetings For the Battle of France the Allies had around 4 million men ready. The Germans had ...
Assigning weapons nomenclature9/13/2006
  Q: The first M9 bayonet was the "M9"; it was modified and improved and referred to as the "product ...
  A: Greetings When a military item is upgraded does it capabilities change? When a weapon is upgraded ...
WWII rifles9/12/2006
  Q: I was just wondering if you could either compare the differences between the M1 and Karabiner 98k or ...
  A: Greetings The M1 Garand against the 98k is a comparison of different ages. The German 98k was ...
Army weapons from 1775 - today9/11/2006
  Q: I am looking for information on where to find a chronological order of the Army weapons used from ...
  A: Greetings I have not found a perfect list for you, but the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning ...
91st AAA Bn 1956 - 19589/6/2006
  Q: I am wondering what kind of weaponry this unit was assigned in this time frame. I am asking about A ...
  A: Greetings Antiaircraft in units Germany in the 1950s would have been mainly gun based. In the ...
ww2 shell casing 38 calibur mark 58/31/2006
  Q: I have a shell casing that has been in my family for a long time my dad was a war/airplane buff and ...
  A: Greeting Finding who fired a specific shell is almost impossible. The shell was mostly likely ...
WW II Army Air Force8/31/2006
  Q: Looking for a badge or crest worn on uniform lapel, during WW II while in the U.S. We think it is ...
  A: Greetings I have not found it. I would recommend 2 websites and this book. Army Air Force and ...
Dog tags during WWII8/24/2006
  Q: I understand that the military gives out two dogtags for the person to wear. In case of death, one ...
  A: Greetings Dog tags if not worn around the neck would be put on or in boots. Putting your dog tags ...
Dog tags during WWII8/24/2006
German Army8/19/2006
  Q: During WWII the German Army had certain army units made up of medically disqualified soldiers. I ...
  A: Greetings The Stomach Battalion also called the white bread Division was a unit made up of German ...
armored vehicle markings8/13/2006
  Q: I have a question relative to the markings on some armored vehicles. I have noticed that on most ...
  A: Greetings The V or ^ o r < or > are part of an identification system for tanks. The symbol helps ...
Sherman tank engine8/10/2006
  Q: Am I right in thinking that there was a version of the sherman tank that had a 30 cylinder petrol ...
  A: Greetings Some Sherman tanks used five 6 cylinder engines joined together to form 1 engine. This ...
Nazi military size in WW II8/6/2006
  Q: How did Germany get the sheer numbers of fighting men to go against all of Europe & beyond? And ...
  A: Greetings Germany early in World War 2 took on 1 country at a time. IN 1939 it was Poland. This ...
Nazi Flag Battle of the bulge8/5/2006
  Q: we have a flag that was obtained from the battle of the bulge in world war 2 i have pictures we are ...
  A: Greetings Flags are not my specialty, but I know of some places that might help. Please check the ...
Royal Navy in Pacific8/2/2006
  Q: Was the British Royal Navy involved in the Pacific naval war against Japan 1942-45 ? I know they had ...
  A: Greetings The Royal Navy was very involved in the Pacific war although not to the extant of the US ...
Fusiliers de Montreal7/23/2006
  Q: Fusiliers de Montreal fought beside my Dad in 1942 at Dieppe . In 1972 a medal was struck by them ...
  A: Greetings The Fusiliers de Montreal have a museum that should help. Here is the telephone number ...
ww27/20/2006
  Q: did russia ever capture and use tiger 1 or king tigers, or did any other alies against germany.
  A: Greetings Indeed both the Allies and the Soviets captured German Tiger 1 and 2 tanks also Panther ...
German policy in Poland7/3/2006
  Q: Sutton: Thank you for taking my question. After Germany defeated and occupied Poland in 1941, was ...
  A: Greetings Indeed many Poles did travel around much of occupied Europe. The Germans used Polandís ...
tanks6/24/2006
  Q: i was just wondering that how tanks have changed from ww1,ww2, vietnam war and the modern tanks ...
  A: Greetings The First tanks didn‚Äôt have turrets in World War 1 until the development of the French ...
The war in Iraq6/11/2006
  Q: Is our mainstream news media lying to us about our soldier's acceptance in Iraq? Can we win this ...
  A: Greetings The Press has come along way since World War 2. During WW2 you would not have heard live ...
Pozit fuze6/7/2006
  Q: 26 years army and 20 plus civilian, retired now. VT or variable time but I can't recall Pozit. ...
  A: Greetings POZIT was a World War 2 initial for a radar or proximity fused shell. Modern day we ...
world war two5/23/2006
  Q: how did the after mathlead of world war II led to the cold war and how did the cold war shape the ...
  A: Greetings The day World War 2 ended in Europe is when the cold war started. The Soviets and by ...
world war 25/15/2006
  Q: why did high school enrollment drop by a million in 1940 an 1943?
second world war4/22/2006
  Q: how was the german tank ace michael wittman killed
  A: Greetings According to my research SS Captain Michael Wittmann was either killed by rocket firing ...
value of sword4/10/2006
  Q: trying to determine the value of what I think is a WWII japanese sword.Based on my internet ...
  A: Greetings Due to its short length I would say it is a Wakizashi blade. The Japanese mass produced ...
pearl harbor3/23/2006
  Q: Can you please send me the answers BEFORE March 27, 2006, Sorry for any inconvience, Thank you ...
  A: Question 1 Most countries were happy to have the war ending. Most saw the bomb a fast way to end ...
History Day3/16/2006
  Q: i am in the 7th grade and I am doing a project called history day and my subject is the atomic ...
  A: Greetings The United States of America was the first country to develop and use nuclear weapons. ...
Patton's view of US tanks3/7/2006
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I have recently been reading quite a bit about General Patton. In my opinion, one of the ...
  A: Greetings Patton didn't believe in tank vs. tank conflicts. Patton was a genius in combined arms ...
Causes of World War II3/4/2006
  Q: What were the main causes of World War II? was it policies of appeasement or the rise of Fascist ...
  A: Greetings Germany's version of Fascism with its racial and militaristic vision of an Aryan ruled ...
tactics2/22/2006
  Q: Sutton, Let me start by saying I know my question is a little (translate to "completely") ...
  A: Greetings It would be an honor to help. In my opinion the first thing to do is setup a base in a ...
tactics2/22/2006
Low-yield nuclear weapon.1/16/2006
  Q: For a book (fiction) I am writing about a joint CIA/U.S. secret military operation in 1974, I would ...
  A: Greetings For the 1st question if the unknown lethal biological agent was of maybe an off planet ...
world war 21/7/2006
  Q: was the decision to use the atomic bomb on Japan during World war 2 justified? Thanks
  A: Greetings In my opinion it was justified. My reasons are that millions of American and Japanese ...
Nazi Germany and Imperial Japanese Relations1/3/2006
  Q: What was the extent of the relationship between Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan during World War II? ...
  A: Greetings Germany and Japan had a close relationship leading up and throughout World War 2. The ...
Weapons during world war 212/28/2005
  Q: I have a question related to weapons used during world war 2 which if you were part of a squad ...
  A: Greetings In cold or hot weather US soldiers would use the same equipment. The M1 Garand the ...
End of WW II12/27/2005
  Q: I heard recently that the second world war WITH GERMANY didnt officially end untill 1989/1990 when ...
  A: Greetings The Formal end of the 2nd World War in Europe was May 8, 1945. However the breakup of ...
2nd world war outcome12/22/2005
  Q: I have a question, but perhaps its a bit general. Anyway, here goes; What would 2005 be like if ...
  A: Greetings Before I answer that question I would like to recommend 2 books that will help you ...
Hitler12/19/2005
  Q: How did Adolf Hitler change the world--in good ways and bad?
  A: Greetings This is not an easy question but I will attempt to answer it. Adolf Hitler changed the ...
WWII Aircraft11/14/2005
  Q: I have an interest in WWII. When describing the various aircraft of WWII, the authorities list the ...
  A: Greetings A machine gun on American aircraft would have been either .30 or .50 caliber. In Europe ...
fantasy question10/8/2005
  Q: Paul, This is a silly question and perhaps you will indulge me in this. I recently caught an ...
  A: Greetings The website had a picture of one of the best attack bombers in the world the Panavia ...
EXPLANATION OF WORDS AND PHRASES TAKEN FROM THE BOOK "BORN TO FLY",by Michael French9/1/2005
  Q: Can you please explain the following words and phrases, taken from the book "BORN TO FLY,by Michael ...
  A: Greetings Pods are small equipment bays that stick out of the wing or fuselage they can contain ...
EXPLANATION OF WORDS AND PHRASES TAKEN FROM THE BOOK "BORN TO FLY",By Michael French9/1/2005
Japanese weapons8/12/2005
  Q: Good Day, Mr. Paul Sutton! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Gwendy Gayle B. Hollanes, 20 years ...
  A: Greetings To the Japanese a sword is a part of the body or extension of the body. It is a living ...
yellow dog bombs7/29/2005
  Q: About 30 years ago I purchased an object that was called a yellow dog bomb at a gun show. I was ...
  A: nGreetings I believe what you have is a submunition from a cluster bomb. During WW2 the Soviets ...
How could the Germans have prevented D-Day7/19/2005
  Q: I was watching a documentary about Rommel the other day and asked myself, ďwhat would I have done to ...
  A: Greetings Let me answer your 2nd question first. A mortar could be used as a grenade if it fell ...
US tank designation systems7/2/2005
  Q: My prinicipal interest has been in WW2 aircraft, but at times I have an interest in WW 2 armor as ...
  A: Greetings M in M-4 refers to a medium tank. T such as in T-26 was to designate heavy tanks. The ...
WWII6/27/2005
  Q: Wouldn't you say the Germans during WWII had a better plan in which they relied mainly on Machine ...
  A: Greetings The German infantry plan using MG 34 or MG 42 was better for defense operations. The ...
WWII6/10/2005
  Q: I am writing a WWII fiction and am in need of some geographical help. I need the name of an ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. A perfect island would be Tarawa island of Betio. US Marines ...
world war II5/9/2005
  Q: Why did high school enrollment drop by a million between 1940-1943?
  A: Greetings There were many reasons for the drop in enrollment. One older students volunteered for ...
Canadians in Hong Kong - WW24/28/2005
  Q: Im working on a project on Canadians involvement in Hong Kong in WW2. We also need to know about ...
  A: Greetings Canadian forces in the Pacific mainly served in Hong Kong before its fall in late ...
Hiroshima4/19/2005
  Q: How many people were killed by the Hiroshima atomic bomb? Thanks for your help. Ed Bliss
  A: Greetings The death toll in Hiroshima varies but about 45,000 to 66,000 people died in the initial ...
Bren 7.92 mm M.G. ammo box4/17/2005
  Q: I really hope that you can solve this mystery. I met an older gentleman that won a government ...
  A: Greetings I do not have specific records but my research points to a Canadian version of the Bren ...
Air and Space Power in the Air Force4/14/2005
  Q: Good day to you Mr Sutton, I am doing research on Air and Space power and wanted to find out how ...
  A: Greetings The U.S. Air Force perspective on war fighting is under going a profound change. There ...
World War II question (D-day)4/11/2005
  Q: my name is Joshua. I have a History Project on D-day, and I need to know why Juno, Gold, Sword, ...
  A: Greetings The names of the beaches were chosen by British planners. Utah and Omaha were American ...
Post-WWII Era3/11/2005
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me with post-WWII statistics. How did the atomic bomb and other ...
  A: Greetings There were 2 Berlin crises during the cold war. The first is now known as the Berlin ...
WW2 US bomber offensive1/2/2005
  Q: It's easy to find out US bomber losses over Europe in WW2, but I can't discover how many Luftwaffe ...
  A: Greetings From what I have found American bombers were credited with over 6000 kills over the ...
Weaponry Advancements12/15/2004
  Q: Im writing a term paper on how the advancements of weaponry changed military strategy and tactics. ...
  A: Greetings That is a huge subject area. I will give some examples. My first example is the ...
ww2 tank11/24/2004
  Q: I am doing a research report on the m-36 Jackson tank destroyer used in World War Two. I was ...
  A: Greetings The M-36 was a Sherman tank hull with a 90MM anti aircraft gun in an open gun mount. The ...
WWII11/16/2004
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I am writing an article for my magazine journalism class. My question concerns the ...
  A: Greetings Three of men who raised the flag died shortly after the raising. John Bradley, Rene ...
Military Capabilities of World War 211/10/2004
  Q: I'm having a bit of trouble getting a clear idea about the difference in military capabilities ...
  A: Greetings Indeed over 36,000 Il-2 were build by 1944. An improved version called the IL-10 was ...
Civilization10/26/2004
  Q: Good Afternoon I am reading the Clash Of Civilization article by " Samuel p Hungtington" But need ...
  A: The central argument is that nations will not be the central point of conflicts, but large regional ...
Nuclear weapon10/24/2004
  Q: Heloo Please tell me what parallels are there between the introduction of the gun and introduction ...
  A: Greetings Indeed there are some parallels between the development of the gun and nuclear weapons. ...
war10/21/2004
  Q: I am doing a research on war and would like to have your opinions regarding the following question ...
  A: Greetings Military experience does not lead to war directly. Military experience may give military ...
Pearl Harbor and World War Two10/17/2004
  Q: I don't know if you can help me... but I have a lot of questions that I would like to know the ...
  A: Greetings That was quite a list. Enjoy 1. Women wanted to look their best for their husbands, ...
European occupation in Africa/ "Scramble for Africa"10/3/2004
  Q: Why did West Africa fail to prevent the European Occupation of Africa/ " Scramble for for Africa"?
  A: Greetings I would have to say many reasons. One the European powers had better military weapons. ...
war10/1/2004
  Q: I would like to know haf u seen the documentary movie about war ď13 daysĒ. If u haf can u tell me ...
  A: Greetings I would be glad to help. The movie of course dealt with Cuban missile crisis. In the ...
snipers9/29/2004
  Q: How would snipers move about without being noticed without all of the camo that we have today? ...
  A: Greetings The slower you move the less likely you will be picked up. Also US forces in WW1 and WW2 ...
Barraks complacement9/17/2004
  Q: I took my basic training at Camp Swift Texas, February - July 1943. I was in the 386th regiment. I ...
  A: Greetings The number of men to a barracks depended on the size of the barracks. Older barracks ...
Mercenaries9/16/2004
  Q: Were mercenaries used by any of the countries involved in WW2? If so, by whom and what were they ...
  A: Greetings Indeed mercenaries were used in World War 2. The French Foreign Legion fought against ...
Regimental makeup9/13/2004
  Q: I served as an infantryman in the 96th division, 383rd regiment that landed in the Philipines in ...
  A: Greetings A Squad: The smallest groupings in the army structure, squads are made up of 8 to 11 ...
Question about WWII8/29/2004
  Q: I'm very interested in military history, especially WWII. My question is how much did the South ...
  A: Greetings South Africa did indeed help the Allies. During the Battle of Britain at least 20 to 30 ...
Tanks8/26/2004
  Q: Sutton! in my class i have to write something about technology..i chose to write about the tank..i ...
  A: Greetings The Tank was a culmination of technology developed before World War 1. The first tank is ...
WWII artillery ammo fitted with POZIT fuze - especially it's first use7/23/2004
  Q: I am looking for all the info I can find on the WWII POZIT fuze, it's use on field artillery ammo, ...
  A: Greetings Below are the different types of artillery that could use POZIT or VT fused shells. A ...
Battle of Britain5/26/2004
  Q: Mr. Sutton, This may seem like a rather trivial question, but perhaps because of that it may be ...
  A: Greetings Indeed both attacks were picked up by radar and plotted to their likely targets. Once a ...
Map5/20/2004
  Q: My father-in-law was a tank driver in WW2, he told me he drove a Sherman and was under Patton off ...
  A: Greetings These are some websites that can help you find about your father in law. Good Luck ...
World War 2 Tanks4/13/2004
  Q: Mr. Sutton, I am interested in learning more about Tanks and the strategy involved in using them for ...
  A: Greetings The American built Sherman was a tank that could do many jobs. It was a machine that ...
German Tanks after WW23/25/2004
  Q: I hope this finds you well, I wonder if you can help me, I've been trying to find information on ...
  A: Greetings The legacy of German tanks and AFVs is that they went all over the world. When the ...
Combat load3/24/2004
  Q: what is the waight of the fully loaded american soldier
  A: Combat weight In World War 2 an American soldier carried between 82 and 98 pounds of equipment. So ...
WWII3/18/2004
  Q: * I have three questions for you. 1. What are the four most crucial points in the beginning of ...
  A: Greetings One of the most crucial points would have to failure of France to respond to German's ...
World War One (this is not a homework question)3/9/2004
  Q: Was European Imperialism given a new lease of life in the aftermath of World War One?
  A: Greetings World War 1 was the beginning of the end of for European Imperialism. Here is how I ...
M1A1 Tank3/3/2004
  Q: Any information, or where i can get additional information about it would be appreciated! Thanks a ...
  A: M1A1 Tank Greeting Here are some websites that should help ...
The Second World War (This is not a homework question)2/28/2004
  Q: (1) How did the Second World War promote the cause of anti-colonialism? and (2) Did the formation of ...
  A: (1) How did the Second World War promote the cause of anti-colonialism? And (2) did the formation of ...
How Hitler got and maintained control2/27/2004
  Q: I am looking for the various meathods of how Hitler got and maintained control of Germany and ...
  A: Greetings Nazi control of Germany came thru the ballet box first and foremost. My first answer to ...
U.S.Army History2/25/2004
  Q: I served with the 91st AAA Bn. during the "Korean Conflict" in Ludwigsburg, Germany. Is there a ...
  A: Greetings The best information can be found in a book by James Sawicki called Antiaircraft ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Paul Sutton

Top Expert on this page