Military History/Questions Answered by Expert Paul Edward Zukowski

SubjectDate Asked
Exercise Fox March 19443/7/2017
  Q: Some details are available but the 'friendly fire' casualties is not clear. For example GIs ...
  A: I think referring to when German E-boats picked up on radio traffic and torpedoed ships during the ...
Muster list for 153rd Aleutian Islands2/24/2017
  Q: I am a Transition Assistance Advisor for the Arkansas Army National Guard. I have an SF-180 request ...
  A: I can't the only place that might be able to is The Center for Military History. Its a far from a ...
Query re Confederacy etc.11/23/2016
  Q: I am a fan of Science Fiction, and one of my interests therein is alternate history. The trouble is ...
  A: No its not far fetched at all. The CSA just need to lower moral in North enough so Lincoln lost 1864 ...
WW2 Military Police Battalion9/28/2016
  Q: My father-in-law served in the 722nd Military Police Battalion. We have information to track his ...
  A: Unfortunately I do not have more but here where can try. U.S. Army Military Police Corps Regimental ...
Uniform post ww29/10/2016
  Q: I am looking for any help here. Attached is a picture of a serviceman I believe was stationed in the ...
  A: The attachment photo only about 2 by 3 inches and I can not make out any detail. If can sent larger ...
WWI 51st Pioneers8/25/2016
  Q: My great uncle Albert Norman Belden trained at Wadsworth in SC as a baker/cook. He was from ...
  A: First you can request his service record. He is how ...
766th MP Battalion Durring WWII8/17/2016
  Q: I was looking for any information about my Grandfather William Carlton Hulsey and his MP battalion. ...
  A: I am not finding anything 766th MP BN. There are 766th Transportation, 766th Engineers, and 766th ...
WW I barbed wire8/13/2016
  Q: Whenever we read about WW I infantry battles we are told that barbed wire defences made attacks very ...
  A: The night before the attach they would slip out trenches and cut their own wire making lanes where ...
Value8/6/2016
  Q: Yes sir I was wondering if you could tell me ballpark estimate on my c.g. HAENEL SUHL sawbak bayonet ...
  A: These are highly collectable unfortunately I deal in militaria so I can't exact value. The range $50 ...
FOOD WWII7/14/2016
  Q: MY DAD WAS IN A AAA UNIT, HE WAS IN N AFRICA, SICILY, SALERNO AND ANZIO. MY QUESTION IS WHEN WOULD ...
  A: So when in combat or rapidly moving they would C or K-Rations. The K is for "Kommando" and used ...
6 pounder ww1?5/17/2016
  Q: I was lucky enough to come across this little beauty at a garage collecting dust. It's markings ...
  A: It appear High Explosive shell for Hotchkiss gun. Value $75 to $125 ...
Identifying uniform5/1/2016
  Q: I have come across an old print with a boy in military uniform playing a pipe instrument with a drum ...
  A: It could be Austrian or Russian. The head gear looks like 1770s British but I can't see the face of ...
Wanting Know more about the U.S role in WW2 and when they joined the war.4/29/2016
  Q: Prior to being attacked by Japan in 1941 was the U.S considered to be apart of WW2? After Pearl ...
  A: 1) No the US was not part of WWII prior declaring war. The UK was really trying to get the USA ...
Identifying WW2 Unit1/4/2015
  Q: My father served in WWII in the U.S.Army mustering out as a Tech 4 from the Separation Detachment, ...
  A: There nothing I grab on to. Here what I suggest.Get in touch with Transportation Corp Museum. They ...
South Pacific Base Command Drawing12/22/2013
  Q: My dad severed as a company clerck with the CO A 1395th Engr Const BN during world war two. Dad send ...
  A: Because of the island hopping just the year to match it up. The only place I could find an HQ for ...
WWII12/15/2013
  Q: Good Day Paul Edward Zukowski, My name is Garrett Robinson. I am a student at Ottawa Hills High ...
  A: Here are some books that can help you. American Women And World War II (History of Women in ...
WWI uniform and12/7/2013
  Q: Attached is an image of my grandfather John Ziavras (born 1894 in Greece)wearing a WWI uniform. I ...
  A: The picture did come through. I can not make out any detail on it. First place see if service ...
Segregation in the Military12/4/2013
  Q: I am doing a national history day project on Executive Order 8802 and I was wondering, how did this ...
  A: The order required federal agencies and departments involved with defense production to ensure that ...
Navajo Code Talkers in WWII11/21/2013
  Q: I am an 8th grader doing a National History Day Project about the Navajo Code Talkers in WWII. I was ...
  A: This is an ironic question. I was 8 rows away from 6 of the living original 29 Navajo Code Talkers ...
Civil War ? Drummer boy?10/4/2013
  Q: I have 2 items I needed your help on that are pictured. First is a bayonet which a friend found in ...
  A: The bayonet looks to be from that era. There should be markers marks on it. Bayonets looked that ...
Civil War sword?9/7/2013
  Q: I have come across a sword that I cannot find any markings on. The sword is about 29.5 inches long ...
  A: This is something you going need to have looked at in person. US Saber would have marking on it. ...
Co F 51 Pioneer Infantry AEF WWI6/28/2013
  Q: First off Paul, many thanks for the information you provided me in my previous search. I checked ...
  A: Pioneer Infantry unit were names used during the expansion of military for WWI. These are National ...
Co F 51st Pioneer Infantry AEF Campaigns6/26/2013
  Q: Do you have records indicating all of the campaigns Co F took part in in WWI? Somewhere I found St ...
  A: I do not have anything in house for that, this where you can find what is available. Here a link to ...
Korean War6/10/2013
  Q: I am currently researching the involvement of K Company, US Army's 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd ...
  A: I am sorry I do not have anything down to that level. Who may be able to help is United States Army ...
My great uncle's WWI service5/10/2013
  Q: My great uncle, Henry Kelm, was born in Germany in 1891. He died in Wisconsin in 1971. His ...
  A: He was a private first class company A of the 5th field signal battalion. ...
First to complete 25 missions4/28/2013
  Q: How is it that the B-17s Memphis Belle and Hell's Angeles are given credit for being the first two ...
  A: The Memphis Belle is credited because the crew was intact after 25 missions and returned to United ...
Cannon Ball4/22/2013
  Q: Did we find a Cannon Ball? My Husband and I were digging on our property.(Planting shrubs) We found ...
  A: Here a link where you can look at types cannon balls. www.civilwarartillery.com 20 pounds makes it ...
Deaths at Battle of the Bulge4/10/2013
  Q: I recounted for my students today the Battle of the Bulge and its significance. I also gave them ...
  A: About 1300 died for reasons other than combat. That can be disease, natural deaths, accidents, ...
Documents on 729th3/25/2013
  Q: My grandfather was, I believe, a part of what you are talking about 729th and fought in The Battle ...
  A: Step one would be request his service record. Here how you can get it. ...
uss sabalo12/5/2012
  Q: I have and can proove that I have the working kahki unniform..complete with trousuers and bill cap ...
  A: The uniform indicate a person who Navy for a long time. USS Sabalo saw only limited service at the ...
WWII Uncle11/18/2012
  Q: Zukowski, I am trying to research my Uncle Dee L. Dyas in WWII. Do you have any advice on how I ...
  A: He likely was in Sicily as well. First can request his service record from the National Archives. ...
Photo of the 813 pioneer african americans of ww111/13/2012
  Q: I have a photo 813 pioneer at camp Grant. I understand there were more than one camp grant. I would ...
  A: If its fragile I would bring it to a very high end photo shop and a couple copies made so it can be ...
Granfather in 51st Pioneer WW17/24/2012
  Q: I am researching where my granfather served in France in ww1. His regiment I believe was 51st ...
  A: 1917 OCT 29 Camp Wadsworth Personnel assigned to other Regiments 1918 JAN 4 10th redesignated ...
WWI pilots who survived against the Red Baron7/2/2012
  Q: I'm trying to help my husband find out who his birthmother is and one piece of information she wrote ...
  A: This will not be easy. WWI groups of planes flew against groups of planes. Hundreds of people of ...
patch id help6/18/2012
  Q: I turn do you ( again) for some mild assistance. I took a close up of the patch, some have called it ...
  A: On patch one It can't tell because the picture is too small for detail to seen. It looks like this ...
WWI Headstone Information6/17/2012
  Q: I'm trying to find out more information about my great grandfather's service in WWI. The only ...
  A: 526th was there only there 5 months. That unit was there from Nov 12, 1918 to April 15th 1919. It ...
children heroics - war5/17/2012
  Q: For my class of 5-13yrs old, could you share with me any stories of children that served in any army ...
  A: First sorry for the slow reply. I quit smoking and I was bit out of sorts. For ages 13 and under ...
729th Railway Operating Bn5/15/2012
  Q: Found some interesting docs abandoned by a member of the 729th that deployed with them in 1944. Is ...
  A: There a website that collects data on that unit. You might want to send copies of the originals to ...
106th division 423rd infantry5/5/2012
  Q: I would like to know any information regarding my grandfather's service in the army during WWII. I ...
  A: I do not have any detailed info on your grandfather. There webs would be interested in what you ...
coporl training recruits3/28/2012
  Q: My Dad was a coporl training recruits before WWII he later drove a truck with a AA crew. Did he have ...
  A: First i would request his service records from the National Archives. That would details in his ...
Spanish American War2/21/2012
  Q: My great grandfather was in the 5th Calvary in the Spanish American war. Recently I found a button ...
  A: Bucky was in the first US Vol. Cav. and a famous man; as was Ben Slaughter. The event is in here ...
WW2 Pistol Identification2/1/2012
  Q: Im trying to find out more about a gun that is believed to be from WW2, although after searching ...
  A: I am not sure exactly what it is but it looks pre dates the year 1900. Its does not look to be ...
729 railway operating battalion1/17/2012
  Q: My grandfather is turning 90 in February and as a gift I would like to give him a wooden plaque with ...
  A: here a brief unit history http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/1205trans.htm ...
Grandfather Military10/5/2011
  Q: I have been trying too gather info on my grandfather for some time now.It seems I may have found ...
  A: Ind 7/25/18 pvt, Inducted on that date 154 Dep Brig; 154 Depot Brigade At Fort Meade MD Moved ...
u.s.remington 19039/22/2011
  Q: I have a U.S. Remington model 1903. S/N 3301125.It has a flip up rear site and a pronounced hump ...
  A: You have 1903 Springfield rifle made by Remington receiver was made in Dec of 1941. The Barrel was ...
1903 springfield8/31/2011
  Q: it has a rockisland reciever 296838 and a s/a barrel dated 5-42.also have you ever heard the term ...
  A: You can look up the serial number for date the receiver here. http://m1903.com/ The barrel was ...
WW16/6/2011
  Q: My grandfather, Erhick D. Howland, served in WW1. He was at Camp Devins, MA from April, 1918 to ...
  A: Your grandfather maybe in this picture. ...
30 cal carbine5/20/2011
  Q: My father was an Army officer serving in Italy during WW11. He acquired a chrome 30 cal carbine ...
  A: First is manufacturer's name on it? Here are war time makers marking. ...
Dads tavels to Ireland5/12/2011
  Q: My Dad was in the 1850th service command unit out of Ft Chaffee. attached thru the war to the 106th ...
  A: I have nothing on Greenland, I would try Center for Military History or look for Historical Society ...
Pearl Harbor Question4/16/2011
  Q: Q: Why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? Were there any warning signs they received/ how were ...
  A: 1. Why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? The USA was refusing to sell oil steel and other natural ...
WWI Aero Squadron Question4/11/2011
  Q: Good Morning, I recently discovered that my great grandfather was a part of the 615th Aero ...
  A: Morning, There one reference here. ...
casualties in battle of bulge4/9/2011
  Q: Many sources relate that the US Army sustained about 19,000 deaths during the battle of the Bulge, ...
  A: He using only combat deaths and not including accidents and disease. Disease killed a lot because ...
WW II info4/5/2011
  Q: My late father was in Co D, HQ 93rd Sig BN (SEP) and on his DD 214 it shows he was in the following ...
  A: Here unit history. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/93sig.htm ...
WW1 Tranportation corp.3/27/2011
  Q: My great great Uncle John lived in North East Pennsylvania and enlisted in the U.S. Army on August ...
  A: I do not have anything on that unit. Here is were they would know if a unit history was written. ...
civil war3/2/2011
  Q: I have been doing research on my wife's g-g-grandfather who fought for the first year of the civil ...
  A: Get the West Point Atlas vol. You will be follow where he traveled with Gen Hooker. Once at War ...
Uniform Identification2/17/2011
  Q: I found this photo in "grandma's attic" and was wondering if you could help me identify the uniform. ...
  A: It looks like Jr Officers Shell Jacket from the Civil War era. It could also much later in to the ...
Units -- Father and Grandfather2/16/2011
  Q: I found my Dad's and Grandads' discharge certificates from WWII and WWI respectively. My father was ...
  A: Camp Wheeler a place for basic train and it was POW camp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCOCbIFO0DQ ...
WW1 Pioneer Infantry2/3/2011
  Q: My gr granduncle belonged to Co. E Pioneer Infantry. Trained at Camp Wadsworth. But anything I have ...
  A: Here the order of battle http://wwi.lib.byu.edu/index.php/U.S._Army_Order_of_Battle Trained at Camp ...
Springfield Armory 19031/28/2011
  Q: I have a Springfoeld Armory Model 1903 with the SN 4934 and was wondering what you may be able to ...
  A: That is very early one. Its highly collectable. If its unmodified and good shape its worth some ...
4th Pioneer Infantry1/5/2011
  Q: I am looking for info on the 4th Pioneer Infantry Regiment from WWI. I'm pretty sure my Great ...
  A: Formerly was the Formerly 6th Massachusetts Infantry. There not much detail, the unit was Feb 1918 ...
Combat History of 309th Infantry Regiment 78th Division11/29/2010
  Q: My father served in Company L 309th Infantry Regiment 78th Division in the ETO between March 1945 ...
  A: Here are some links to get you started http://www.78thdivision.org/ ...
military uniform11/22/2010
  Q: My grandfather served in the USAF during WWII and he recently received the last of his ribbons and ...
  A: He would have been in US Army Air Forces. The US Air Force was started in 1947. If an officer it ...
cannon ball origin11/17/2010
  Q: I recently purchased what I believe to be a very old cannon ball from an estate auction. It appears ...
  A: Its from 6 pound gun. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleerose/4007800370/ ...
402 division of the 101st at Normandy11/3/2010
  Q: SO MY DADS DISCHARGE PAPER STIPULATE HE WAS IN THE 401ST AT NORMANDY Ardennes etc. As a glider ...
  A: He was there but unlikily he was during beginning of action at Normandy on beaches. 101 were not on ...
XV Corps10/31/2010
  Q: What was the role of XV Corps in World War Two in Germany in 1945 , especially in liberating ...
  A: Here an overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XV_Corps_%28United_States%29 Parts of XV Corp did ...
photo9/2/2010
  Q: Can you help me ID this old family photo. It was taken by NJ Vivian in Menominee County. Iron County ...
  A: Its sized reduce as attachment but clicked its almost full size. I still can't see the small details ...
Tec5 H&S Co 390 Engineers6/10/2010
  Q: I have read your really helpful answer to Wanda's query and have followed the links you suggest with ...
  A: tec 5 is his rank. Technician 5th class; its same Corporal except he had some specific skill. H & S ...
Civil War drummer boys6/3/2010
  Q: My great-grandfather, Michael Cassidy, was supposed to have run away to become a drummer boy in the ...
  A: Most drummer boys were 13 to 15 years. At least one was as young as 9. Its not likely he would have ...
Grandfather Military service5/23/2010
  A: Ind 5/29/18 pvt; wag 3/1/19, 154 Dep Brig; He was assigned at wagoneer depot brigade. Hq Tr ...
POW camps5/10/2010
  Q: I have been trying to find information about Niederzwehren POW camp which became Niederzwehren ...
  A: Yes its location is Kassel, Hessen, Germany. It seems like mostly UK Commonwealth troops were held ...
grenade and anti tank ?5/5/2010
  Q: I bought two items off an auction site a few years ago and i had all of the info on them saved on a ...
  A: The shell I can't ID as I do not have diameter of the bullet. It appears to be made on Canada. I ...
Gatling Gun2/24/2010
  Q: my name is Boddie and I am doing my National History Day Project on the Gatling Gun and I was ...
  A: Here a history of the gun. >1. What was the purpose of the creation of the Gatling Gun? To reduce ...
1903 Springfield2/20/2010
  Q: I have a springfield rifle with a serial number 196080. It has SA 05 stamped on the barrel. On the ...
  A: It was made where the reciever was marked as being made. Its serial number indicated it was made in ...
Omaha Beach2/16/2010
  Q: were there really large concrete bunkers firing down on Omaha Beach just like in the movie Saving ...
  A: I don't play video games and have not seen that movie in years. If go to the provided link click on ...
military picture info1/21/2010
  Q: I have a large panarama photo of military men standing to take a picture. It says CO.A 8th armored ...
  A: Here a few places you try http://www.armyhistory.org/ http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp ...
1943 USO Tour1/20/2010
  Q: Zukowski I have a $10.00 piece of italian lira with the autographs of Lefty Gomez, Fred Corcoran ...
  A: I would contact the USO. To have value appraised you need a letter with date of the show from the ...
american civil war1/15/2010
  Q: How did the American Civil War change military(tactics, weapons, and training)
  A: Yes dramatically changed things. Repeating Arms, Gatling Guns, Balloons, telegraph, trench warfare, ...
Revolutionary War1/14/2010
  Q: Was The Battle of Bennington John Starks most important battle in the Revolution?
  A: I really is a matter of opinion. He took part in these battles. Battle of Bemis Heights Battle of ...
1873 Springfield Trapdoor SN228671/12/2010
  Q: I was steered in your direction in order to find out some details and possible potential value of ...
  A: (P) is a proof mark. It was tested for safety. The others are inspector or part numbers. I don't ...
Springfield Armory Model 1903 Bolt Action12/18/2009
  Q: To Whom it my concern: I own a U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903 Serial number 1151766 Caliber ...
  A: It was made in late 1918. Inscriptrion on side was not done the Armory or the military. The rear ...
41st balloon company11/9/2009
  Q: I found a watch that belonged to my great uncle. The inscription on the back says Lt. John R. Hall ...
  A: You can request his service record http://www.archives.gov/veterans/ The unit is now 41st ...
Cannonball?10/26/2009
  Q: I live in the Mandarin area of Jacksonville, FL, near Julington Creek, which connects to the St ...
  A: It does look like a ball fired from light artillery from the civil war era. I would contact the ...
mp10/26/2009
  Q: my dad is listed as serving in the 1336 sv unit of military police but I can find nothing of this ...
  A: I sent your question to the question pool as I have no info for you. Maybe someone else can help. ...
322nd Infantry in WW19/8/2009
  Q: We planned a trip to France for October and now I am interested in visiting sites my Grandfather did ...
  A: That was part of the 1st Army http://www.first.army.mil/history.htm ...
Remington 1903A3 peep sight9/6/2009
  Q: I have a late production of this rifle in excellent condition. I took it out to the range for the ...
  A: No this is not common. If its the shooter usually they are all over the paper. I would have another ...
fathers military service8/18/2009
  Q: my father served during ww2 i am very interested to learn what he did and where he went where can i ...
  A: Start by requesting his service record from the National Archives. ...
Company B, 21st Machine Gun Batallion World War One8/18/2009
  Q: My Grandfather served under this when he was sent to France. Found lots of his letters to home and ...
  A: The 21st Machine Gun Battalion, was part of the 14th Infantry Brigade, which was part of the 7th ...
WW 16/12/2009
  Q: I have been left a book on the 328th infantry, 82nd Division AEF, owned by my grandfather. On ...
  A: I first call the curator of the 82nd at fort Bragg. They may little as the orginal 82nd was only ...
Co. F 358th Inf. WW16/8/2009
  Q: I have recently learned my great Uncle and 4 of his comrades are on a WW1 memorial plaque in their ...
  A: It was part of the 90th Infantry Division which was part of the 4th Army Corp. ...
W.W.I5/25/2009
  Q: Supposedly, ammunition for the Winchester Rifles of the 347th was delayed during a battle in France ...
  A: Well first the rifles were either US Rifle Cal .30 M1903 Springfield or US Rifle Cal .30 M1917 ...
officers and privates5/13/2009
  Q: I am an English woman trying to write a story about an American solider who was on Omaha Beach. I ...
  A: So he would be an engineer as well as manager. A college grad with managment position would likily ...
World War One5/12/2009
  Q: What was the overall American impact on Wold War I and the peacemaking process which ended it?
  A: It started with Wilsons 14 points monthes before the armistice. ...
civil war army training5/11/2009
  Q: How long did an average soldier have to go through training? (around the year 1863)
  A: There was no basic traing as we know it today. Each unit did its own training. The unit commander ...
bayonet4/1/2009
  Q: I am interested to learn the vintage and origin of this bayonet. Blade is too rusted to see any ...
  A: Unless there something I am missing I don't see how this would connect it to a rifle. There should ...
POW's3/24/2009
  Q: I know the Korean War happened just five years after WWII ended. I'm curious were there any ...
  A: Much of the Korean war was early on faught mostly by WWII vets. Enlistments are all 8 years long. ...
Military Tactics3/23/2009
  Q: I am writing a paper on the effects of the U.S. being the World leader in civilian gun ownership. ...
  A: Yes, there is. Documents reveal that Impirial Japan, Nazi Germany, and USSR all considered and ...
WW1 Tactics Influencing Australia3/15/2009
  Q: How did tactics and strategies in WW1 influence Australia?
  A: The descion to attempt to remove Turkey from the war certainly did. ...
Location of friends grandfather3/15/2009
  Q: hoping you can help. I have a friend visiting me from the staes who would like to visit where her ...
  A: You would need to know a unit name in order to see where is was stationed. You can have here request ...
MIlitary History3/12/2009
  Q: What are those hidden messages contained in the arrangement of the horseĺs limbs in many military ...
  A: Basicly they served in the military were not killed or wounded in battle. (sometimes including dead ...
ww2 units3/2/2009
  Q: Good Afternoon Sir, My father and grandfather recently passed away, both WW II veterans. My ...
  A: For the Panama Canal Zone Here is a history ...
WWII Patch3/1/2009
  Q: I have a patch my dad had in WWII. It is a circle with dark blue background. In the field it has a 7 ...
  A: Your welcome There no unit history on line I can find. Units that did not go overseas or non combat ...
WW1, 169th Aerosquadron2/7/2009
  Q: My father was in the 169th Aerosquadron (as a bombadier at some stage)during WWI. They were ...
  A: First we do not have contact with others who volunteer to answer questions. I can't pass a message ...
springfield 19031/12/2009
  Q: I have a U.S. springfield 1903 serial number 1237XXX, I am looking for information as far as year ...
  A: Here a site with everything you will need. http://m1903.com/ It was made in early 1921 assuming it ...
491st Military Police Escort Guard Company1/6/2009
  Q: Any information on the 491st Military Police Escort Guard Company located at Fort Custer, Michigan ...
  A: There doesn't appear to be unit history online. I would contact Center for Military History. ...
WWI Balloon Corp1/5/2009
  Q: I need to know if there is a place I can go to find records and/or photos of the Balloon Corps. ...
  A: There is a book in print on this. ...
Korean War12/15/2008
  Q: Was the U.S occupying South Korea at the time of the Korean War? If they were, how did Canada's ...
  A: No it wasn't when the War broke out. It had been under a UN ordered division untill 1948. South ...
remington model 1903 question9/8/2008
  Q: i had a remington model 1903 giving to me and i was wondering if you could tell me if it had the ...
  A: Yours was made in late 1941. Only very early Rock Island, Springfiels Armory made rifles had an ...
M1852 sword9/1/2008
  Q: I recently acquired a M1852 USN style sword, double edged. Near the hilt it has the maker's marks: ...
  A: You would need to contact a dealer Militaria. Here are a few. ...
us history6/3/2008
  Q: we are doing an oral press. on us history, i was woundering if you may have some info on the ...
  A: Weapons http://www.worldwar1.com/armory.htm http://www.firstworldwar.com/weaponry/index.htm ...
Jacket bought at thrift store...5/27/2008
  Q: I bought this jacket a long time ago at a thrift store. I can send pictures if you want. According ...
  A: There no way to send a photo through Allexperts. I would do following. Take a picture and send it ...
WW 14/23/2008
  Q: I'm part of an internationl team now researching the life story of one of Americas & Irelands ...
  A: I take it you called Indian Plant in Springfield? 413-737-2624 Thier historian about the best you ...
Research Paper on WWII4/17/2008
  Q: Which would be a better topic for a research paper? Hitler's Life, The Role of the US, or The ...
  A: All 3 are good topics. Hitlers Life or Americas role would be the a lot easier to reasearch. There ...
I would like to know about my M1903 Mark I4/4/2008
  Q: I have a Springfield Armory model 1903 Mark I serial number 1108692. I got this from my grandfather. ...
  A: If its a Mark I it could except the Peterson Device. ...
history of weapons4/1/2008
  Q: I need help finding information on weapons used since WW1 to date. I need info on the major types of ...
  A: Here a directory of the major conflicts & weapons systems. Its a starting point. ...
.45 ACP3/20/2008
  Q: Knock down power of .45 ACP. I have heard from soldiers of WWII, Korea and VN remark that the .45 ...
  A: Its true; the big heavy slow moving slug, can knock someone off their feet. Its the way slug it ...
WW2 U.S. Technology2/20/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me out with the Technology that the United States used in World ...
  A: These website has a nice overview of WWII era ships ...
dog tags11/10/2007
  Q: My father's dog tags were issued in October, 1941. We only have half of one of them. I am trying ...
  A: Here a an overview http://home.att.net/~steinert/us_army_ww2_dog_tags.htm Here a couple of places ...
USA and ww111/7/2007
  Q: could you pls help me in regards to examining the impact the entry of the US had on the first world ...
  A: Here are some links to get you stated. http://www.worldwar1.com/ ...
lusitania11/5/2007
  Q: I want to know the diagrams of the ship and the sinking. thank you.
  A: Here is a history of the ship and the sinking. Unfortunately I do not have online diagram. There ...
m-1 Garand10/9/2007
  Q: I just picked up a beautiful M-1 Garand SN#3405xxx. How can I tell if it was used in any major WWII ...
  A: You can try making a request at Springfield Research service. http://usmartialarmscollector.com/home ...
1903 springfield9/29/2007
  Q: i have a 1903 springfield #111975 loos like it sporterized in the 60 s i would like to re barrel ...
  A: It should be checked by a gunsmith. Its a fairly early one. It has the improved heat treating but is ...
Remington 19039/5/2007
  Q: I was given a Remington model 1903, serial number 3164XXX, that appears original. The barrel is ...
  A: The early M1903 had high carbon steel and were brittle. Yours is not one of those. You should have ...
springfield 03-a39/4/2007
  Q: i just inherited a rifle marked US/Remington/model 03-a3/4125810. what can you tell me about it? ...
  A: The 03a3 was a simplified version of the M1903 Stringfield Rifle. They were made to suppliment the ...
1903 Springfield rifle8/29/2007
  Q: I have recently acquired a 1903 Springfield rifle. It's serial number is 196,080. It has the ...
  A: You have a very early M1903. http://home.att.net/%7Evishooter/m1903.html Likily 1905 ot 1906. If ...
Rank & Company Information8/29/2007
  Q: My grandfather was a veteran of WWII. His re-constructed records shows rank as Technician Fifth ...
  A: Mtr. Sup. = Motor support. He repaired and maintained the ambulances. Tec 5 is a corperal with ...
309th infantry Rgt8/24/2007
  Q: Was the 309th involved in combat in Germany, and was it present at the capture of the Remagen ...
  A: Yes it did fight in Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._78th_Infantry_Division No it was 9th ...
Springfield Armory Model 1903 Target Rifle8/23/2007
  Q: My father passed on his Springfield 1903 30-06 target model and I am interested in any general ...
  A: You have a US Rifle M1903-a1. You can look up serial number for its date of manufacture. ...
1903 Springfield, 98 Mauser7/9/2007
  Q: I was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on a couple of rifles that have been in my ...
  A: You can look up your 1903 by date here. http://www.nps.gov/spar/ 98K here ...
WWII vetern6/29/2007
  Q: Both my paternal grandparents were involved in the second world war. My grandpa was involved in a ...
  A: You correct about your grandma rank. She would have been a W.A.C. Here is a link ...
Schliffen Plan-Why did Germany need it?6/8/2007
  Q: I wanted to know in detail the problems Germany had to face for them to devise the Schlieffen Plan. ...
  A: It was in order to knock out the Western Threat so that the Russians could be delt with. The larger ...
african american pioneer units in WW I5/17/2007
  Q: Researching african american pioneer units. How many in WW I and what theater did they serve.
  A: I forgot one link. http://www.gwpda.org/wwi-www/Scott/ScottTC.htm Hi Robert, First I am sorry for ...
Marine Combat Weapon WWII4/2/2007
  Q: Sir; Im doing research on my Uncle who survived the Bataan Death march and 3 years as a POW building ...
  A: No they would not have had either M1903-A3 or M1 Garand. 03A3 did not go into production untill ...
us dog tags3/20/2007
  Q: I found a pair of dog tags when they replaced my heater! I'm trying to find out what year that they ...
  A: You can try writing the national Archives. Enclose a photo with the request. But the privacy act may ...
military rank and info3/19/2007
  Q: My father was a WWII veteran. I am interested in finding out more about his service. His tombstone ...
  A: I assuming this was the US Army by the marking. Your dad rank was a Tec-5. That basically a Corporal ...
WWI Question2/4/2007
  Q: I am really curious about the planes of World War I. I know that the Wright brothers invented the ...
  A: Basically the Wright Bros figureded out the way to get left. Once invented, or discovered if you ...
War on Iraq1/26/2007
  Q: Why are we in a war with Iraq? Did President Bush choose to go? If so, why in the beginning he ...
  A: I forgot one thing. The President can not go to war on his own. The US Congress granted ...
1903 Springfield rifle11/26/2006
  Q: I was given a 1903 Springfield rifle by my uncle. It has been handed down since my Great Uncle used ...
  A: You have M1903 Springfield Rifle made in 1904. It was likily orginally chambered for 30-03 round. ...
WW211/20/2006
  Q: In the Battle of Hurtgen Forest in WW2: What Troops were involved in the battle (and what are ...
  A: These links will give you the detail you need. The major Dams were Urft Dam and Schwammenauel Dam. ...
ww2 nazi flag9/16/2006
  Q: I have a nazi flag which was recovered by my father, Pasquale P. Celenza, in Cologne Germany after ...
  A: I do not collect or deal in Militaria. So I can't set a value on it. Here are some places that do. ...
Detailed question on significance of campaign ribbons9/5/2006
  Q: Hi Jim, I have my uncle's separation papers which state that his primary job was demolition in WWII. ...
  A: He was in 2 campains somewhere in areas covered by the EAME Ribbon. (European, African, Middle ...
Civil War9/1/2006
  Q: 1) Was it President Lincoln, US Congress or both who were determined to fight the South during the ...
  A: >1) Was it President Lincoln, US Congress or both who were determined to fight the South during the ...
Gravestone writings.6/21/2006
  Q: On my Father's gravestone it reads, "pfc 1957 ord dep co avn". I was trying to find out any info I ...
  A: PFC is Private First Class, his rank as an enlisted man. 1957 is the unit number ord dep is Ordnance ...
Co. H 803 Pioneer Infantry (colored troops)3/5/2006
  Q: I am searching for a list of the troops and info on missions etc. I have a picture of the 803 while ...
  A: Here is link to answer I gave previously. ...
world war 21/7/2006
  Q: was the decision to use the atomic bomb on Japan during World war 2 justified? Thanks
  A: At the time it was not even a questioned. Lets put it this way, the Army ordered 1/2 a million ...
13B10/27/2005
  Q: i was wondering if you know of a site that has the history of field artillary. not the history of a ...
  A: Here is the Fort Sill page http://sill-www.army.mil/ USFAA http://www.usfaa.com/ Here is the Army ...
Military10/20/2005
  Q: Earlier, I asked if you could help me with a character I'm writing about who's in U.S. Army ...
  A: You asked: >>In what exact time frame is it set? >Answer: 1950s-60s Can you narrow it down ...
military ranking during Revolution8/1/2005
  Q: I am a dance historian researching social dance and drill during the American Revolution. Because ...
  A: The rank strucrure is basically the same now, but the Army highest rank held by G. Washington was Lt ...
Jefferson Davis before the Civil War7/8/2005
  Q: Can you tell me what Jefferson Davis did before becoming the president of the Confederacy and, if ...
  A: He was a Plantation owner and well known US Senator. He was not infavor of sussession he went ...
RE: Military Draft7/1/2005
  Q: I am a college freshman who is interested in how the military draft worked during the Vietnam War. ...
  A: No it was ages 18 to 26. There were numerous defferments untill the new The Military Selective ...
Missionary Ridge Battle6/23/2005
  Q: I have a two part question. On November 24, 1863 in Tennessee there was a battle. Someone in that ...
  A: That was the Battle of Missionary Ridgein which Arthur MacArthur Jr was awarded the Congressional ...
Civil War Hat Insignias5/12/2005
  Q: Why did the Union Army Infantry soldiers in the Civil War have a bugle as their hat insignia instead ...
  A: It came from a European use of the horn that was started by the British. Here is why; The Bugle ...
Cold war4/8/2005
  Q: This question is about the cold war. Before inter-continental missiles, US bombers with nuclear ...
  A: Not to the same extent the USA did. They had most of thier nuke forces in land based ICBMs. They ...
Military small arms around 19063/31/2005
  Q: I am doing some research on the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and was looking to see what weaponry ...
  A: Well Guard units get hand me downs. Its most likily they would have been armed with Trap Door ...
5 star generals3/30/2005
  Q: I would like to know the 5 star generals of the US military history.
  A: This link will explain the WWII era generals. ...
WW1 Justification2/15/2005
  Q: Hey i have to do a project in my History class on WW1. And im having trouble. Here are my questions ...
  A: This site will answer your questions http://www.worldwar1.com/tlwarorg.htm http://www.worldwar1.com/ ...
803 Pioneer Infantry1/17/2005
  Q: I am looking for information about the 803rd Pioneer Infantry that was dispatched to France during ...
  A: These links should answer your question http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/odyssey/educate/803rd.html ...
US hstory of involvement in conflicts and wars1/10/2005
  Q: My 11th grade US History class students are researching America's involvement in wars and conflicts ...
  A: these links will answer your question. http://www.history.navy.mil/wars/ ...
Military Strategy12/15/2004
  Q: Im writing a term paper on how the advancements of weaponry changed military strategy and tactics. ...
  A: You want look at the changes in weapons and thier effect on warefare. The major points are the ...
crockett12/8/2004
  Q: I have seen so many good movies about the alamo and its heroes but their have been diffent point of ...
  A: There were a handfull of Alamo survivers. Mostlty none combatants. They told the tale as Crockett ...
Phillippine Insurrection11/12/2004
  Q: I'm illustrating a poster for a military officers association and accuracy is essential. Would you ...
  A: It would be very unusal for an officer to be issued ANY rifle. Very few Krag Carbines were made and ...
Nuclear Weapon10/24/2004
  Q: Heloo Please tell me what parallels are there between the introduction of the gun and introduction ...
  A: In what sence?? Firearms had a long slow development and took many years (century) before it had any ...
Spitfire9/29/2004
  Q: Sorry about that. What I ment to say was: Was the Spitfire the best airplane used in the Battle of ...
  A: It was evenly matched with the ME-109 used by Germany. The Spitfire had a destinct advantage in that ...
paper wrapping of powder and bullets in percussion rifles in civil war us9/6/2004
  Q: my question : im trying to find information on the wrapping of gunpowder and the bullets ...
  A: The paper was nothing special any reasonably thick paper was used. It contained 1 500 grain .577 ...
Suez5/15/2004
  Q: I would simply like to know what America's position was in the 1956 Suez Crisis? What were its ...
  A: Its actually not a simple question. These links will answer your question in detail ...
German American espionage?5/10/2004
  Q: As an expert on history, you probably are aware that in 1942 the Japanese-American community on the ...
  A: give resources for further reading. http://www.newsday.com/extras/lihistory/7/hs729a.htm ...
101st3/24/2004
  Q: On D-day, when the 101st screaming eagles had landed on normandy, about how many planes had to drop ...
  A: I do not know how many aircraft were used. 101st and the 82nd were the unit that jumped in along ...
what is the meaning of the colors ceremony?3/14/2004
  Q: I am researching the meaning of colors. That is for the raising and lowering of the flag and any ...
  A: http://www.usflag.org/toc.html http://directory.google.com/Top/Reference/Flags/Vexillology/?tc=1 ...
Russian Carriers2/25/2004
  Q: By any chance do you know if the USSR had any aircraft carriers during World War II? Also, do you ...
  A: Here is a link http://www.slavweb.com/eng/Russia/defense-e.html I am unaware of any WWII carriers ...
American Civil War question2/22/2004
  Q: My name is Ben and in school, I am studying the American Civil War. All students are required to do ...
  A: The Second Day Were flanking Manourvers by the South. www.nps.gov/gett/getttour/day2.htm ...

All Questions in This Category

Military History

Paul Edward Zukowski

Top Expert on this page